Re: build what you can't buy

Good to hear that you plan to try and kill some local autocrossers before you try and kill some Lemons participants. I think that you may not realize that Lemons racing has a real potential for danger.  Autocross also has enough potential for danger that thing can go horribly wrong. Yes, I have seen an autocross car roll and end up in the spectator area. This is not your riding mower. DON'T play around with a safety item.

http://jalopnik.com/5368200/whats-it-li … race-track
http://jalopnik.com/5339296/race+leadin … low-lemons

Whether or not these people walked away or not is beside the point, so don't go there. The point is that the danger of serious injury or death is a reality of any racing. We all accept this, but you are one of the first to admit that you taunt and encourage danger. Don't short cut safety and give me the right to say "told you that you could die".

If we all had your attitude that if something goes wrong it will be OK, then we would not need roll cages because it will only kill or injure one of our own drivers.

psychoboy wrote:

your inability to comprehend my position in no way invalidates the veracity of my opinion

I think your signature sums you up pretty good.  When somebody tries to help you, your ego won't allow you to receive help because you are convinced that you already know it all, and you can never admit that you may not always be right.

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

Psychoboy, it's pretty obvious that you've got all the answers.  Please save yourself typing time disecting every single response that cautions you that you MIGHT not be making a great decsion. 

I wish you luck. I hope your backyard engineering on a critical component works better than most backyard engineering efforts.  Here's hoping that you a) do not get injured b) do not injure anyone else c) do not destroy your car and waste your race effort.

Please let us all know when you sucessfully reinvent the wheel.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

28 (edited by Serj 2009-10-17 11:28 PM)

psychoboy; To most people here, your nickname says it all. While I'm not totally convinced they are absolutely correct, I know that your experience may cloud sound judgement and believe the best laid plans of mice and men...

you may start to feel where I'm going with this. Allow me to play devil's advocate, if you will...

1) the ball, taper and fixture itself will probably be fine. the weld, will probably be fine. I believe because of the design, as how the part is replaceable (via threaded shaft) will be the weakpoint and ultimate undoing. My theory is that the threaded shaft will first bend(may deflect or snap) then the threads will shear off because they are then encountering a force far beyond what they were designed for.

2) Autocrossing the car will indeed test the design, but not to a level that would be equivalent to Lemons. An Autocross rarely, or even never gets to the same level of speed most of these races are getting to. At Nelson Ledges, many cars were seeing triple digits at the end of the back straight. It will be impossible to generate a lateral load (brief or shock) equivalent to needing to turn at those speeds. You may be aware of how to use the brakes to prepare the car, but this being a race environment, with door to door racing, it is quite possible to briefly overstep that safety zone from which you can safely slow the car for that corner. could be you, could be a team member. Point is, that sudden need to turn late while braking would generate a shock load sufficiently over an Autocross. Depending on the track and location, the sudden suspension change can put the car off balance, and put it into a violent, nearly end-over-end car roll, which then can easily traverse most club-level race track safety barriers. on the other side, could very well be a paddock with lounging or wrenching Lemons teams/spectators, with their eyes engaged elsewhere. Instant numerous injury count. your cage, properly mounted harness, and race gear will likely minimize your injuries, but what about them? Unlikely, yes, impossible, no.

3) Another factor an autocross doesn't cover, is the contact factor. alert and aware as you may be, you're going to be on a track with newbie racers, that may be too focused to note your presence in a turn or a line-change on a straight. they could drive right into your front wheel wells, and cause that bolt to shear right off. you will only, at best, be able to test for a small fraction of the forces involved in that sort of contact, but the bottom line is this: Manufacturers design those control arms so that when/if contact like that with i described occurs, it distributes the forces across a larger surface area that effectively mitigates a catastrophic failure. At worst, the OEM design deforms, drastically lowering your speed but instead of complete loss of steering, just puts a nasty geometry change that can be handled(albeit with high difficulty) allowing a driver to get to the side of the road to await that tow truck you seem to be so eager to come calling, and inhibit everyone else's race fun.

3) Your testing methodology with you or team members is openly disregarding your own safety as well as theirs. Were I your teammate I would be questioning your regard for my safety and perhaps even my choice of teammates. If you're doing the car prep you need to have a thought for safety that is high enough that it may, infact, trump your teammate's own personal regards for their own.

Racing is Dangerous by concept and by execution. Please don't consciously elevate those hazards for the rest of us. Play it safe and over-engineer the hell out of whatever you ultimately do.

29 (edited by Clueless Racing Reed 2009-10-18 12:35 AM)

I really wish I knew how to put a picture on here but I don't.  I am not entirely convinced his idea is all that bad.  There is a class in the SCCA that has been using a 5/8's tie rod end at the end of the lower control arm for over 20 years.  There are over 800 of them active in the united states.  They are used as a camber adjuster in the rear which is the powered end of the car.  The cars weigh approximately 1700 pounds with driver which isn't far off what I would guess a gutted 2nd gen civic weighs.  These cars corner well over 1 g and we beat the piss out of them on a regular basis.  Imagine a mid/rear engine car fully side loaded with the throttle all the way down bouncing over rough exit curbing.  The tie rod ends hold up to that all day.  We now run much less camber but with past spec tires have run as much as 6 degrees and that had over a half inch of thread showing on the tie rod end.  We never had one break in anything other than a solid crash.  This is all with much stickier rubber than is legal in Lemons.  I would imagine the forces generated exceed what this car is going to see.

When I saw the initial picture I was going to say I thought it was a cool idea.  I should probably put my flame suit on though.

LOL -

Like our crap cans with regular suspension have zero chance of chassis failure and wrecking!  Some cars are so rusty that they could fall apart entirely!

Git a grip.  All these are S$*tboxes and not Nascar.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

31 (edited by Riktor 2009-10-19 07:04 AM)

Spud wrote:

1) Car companies make two seperate parts, ball joints & tie rod ends, for a reason. If they were interchangeable for fit form and function they would make just one part number not two.

2) Companies make real race car ball joints for a reason.  They don't sell tie rod ends as ball joints.
Racers are cheap by nature. If ths little tie rod / ball joint swap was doable other racers would have already tried it and it would be common practice.

3) Yes your car may be lighter than stock but that does not mean that your backyard engineering is up to the loads & stresses of racing a crapcan. And no, there is no way of calculating what strength is needed.

1) And I suppose you fill you're low compression/high tolerance engine full of only 5w-30 and premium fuel because it's what the manfacturer called out.

2)Every good-idea starts from a bad one. If he fails he fails... if he succeeds he is a pioneer.

3)You do realize you contradicted yourself right? A little metalurgy and mechanical engineering and you can find out EXACTLY what that tie-rod end is capable of. YOU=WRONG in this regard.

Not bashing but you need to voice your concern and then voice FACTS to verify your concern. Don't speculate as though it's truth...

Now I don't particularly agree with his idea but you have to keep in mind the car it is going into. It's a lightER low-horsepower car that is going to be used in heavy traffic with other SLOW cars.

IF anything happens it will happen after hard braking and during his turn in... Worse case is we see an re-enactment of the RX-7 as it sheared its wheelstuds.

It'll make for a good show. So stop crying and let the hill-billy make his contraption. If the safety techs don't like it he will never make it on the track.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I highly doubt his "fix" is any more dangerous than the cludges present in 3/4 of the Lemons cars out there.  Whine away if you want, but he was just sharing something that most teams would have done and quietly put on the track.

A little "I think that's dangerous and here's why" would go a hell of a lot farther than the "you're a fool, your mom is fat, and this is going to kill every single participant in Lemons history, ever.  It's even going to go back in time and kill Paul Newman, again" that I'm reading here.

Get a grip.  A cludge may be dangerous or it may be just what the engineer ordered.  But realistically a ball joint breaking isn't going to cause an immediate death to everyone involved.  This isn't a movie where obscuring someone's windshield makes the car spin out of control and explode.  I've had strut towers collapse on the freeway and only had one shredded tire and some puckered seat upholstery to show for it.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Hey, I was just playing devil's advocate. I gave some sound reasoning, and notice I completely excluded the retroactive time-warp death to all Lemons theory. I also pointed out that while I wasn't against his approach, I put some logic to how home-fabbed suspension components should be treated.

All the best. Good luck!

E-Speed wrote:

Good to hear that you plan to try and kill some local autocrossers before you try and kill some Lemons participants. I think that you may not realize that Lemons racing has a real potential for danger.  Autocross also has enough potential for danger that thing can go horribly wrong. Yes, I have seen an autocross car roll and end up in the spectator area. This is not your riding mower. DON'T play around with a safety item.

i'm not sure why you think i'm 'playing around' with a safety item. i'm testing the part in house, i'm testing it in car, and i'll be testing it extensively before we put it on a hot track with other drivers.

Whether or not these people walked away or not is beside the point, so don't go there. The point is that the danger of serious injury or death is a reality of any racing. We all accept this, but you are one of the first to admit that you taunt and encourage danger. Don't short cut safety and give me the right to say "told you that you could die".

again...explain how i'm sort cutting saftey. you are long on rhetoric and painfully short on logic.

you show video of a car losing a rear wheel with little weight over it. please explain how that would compare to a front engine car breaking a lower ball joint.

If we all had your attitude that if something goes wrong it will be OK, then we would not need roll cages because it will only kill or injure one of our own drivers.

again, more worthless hyperbolic rhetoric. this doesn't do anything to bolster your case.

psychoboy wrote:

your inability to comprehend my position in no way invalidates the veracity of my opinion

I think your signature sums you up pretty good.  When somebody tries to help you, your ego won't allow you to receive help because you are convinced that you already know it all, and you can never admit that you may not always be right.

you aren't trying to help. you are trying to tell me my idea won't work because of some reason you are unable or unwilling to articulate. that's not help. i'm not even remotely suggesting i know it all, i'm merely suggesting i know enough to base more knowledge on.

Spud wrote:

Psychoboy, it's pretty obvious that you've got all the answers.  Please save yourself typing time disecting every single response that cautions you that you MIGHT not be making a great decsion.

I don't think i have all the answers...i'm just pretty sure i've asked most of the questions.

again, i see few cautions from people who appear to have any experience in the matter. that's not very helpful.  if i'm wrong, if some of you are suspension engineers, i'm sure you can answer any of the simple questions i've posed without resorting to foolishness

I wish you luck. I hope your backyard engineering on a critical component works better than most backyard engineering efforts.  Here's hoping that you a) do not get injured b) do not injure anyone else c) do not destroy your car and waste your race effort.

thanks, i appreciate that.

Please let us all know when you sucessfully reinvent the wheel.

i'll post videos.

Serj wrote:

psychoboy; To most people here, your nickname says it all. While I'm not totally convinced they are absolutely correct, I know that your experience may cloud sound judgement and believe the best laid plans of mice and men...

my nickname is a moniker i've been carrying for a long, long time. i came about it quite honestly, and frankly, i feel it suits me pretty well.  that said, i'm willing to think outside the box, and rarely do i fail in my final result. sure, i fail along the way, but that's science.

you may start to feel where I'm going with this. Allow me to play devil's advocate, if you will...

1) the ball, taper and fixture itself will probably be fine. the weld, will probably be fine. I believe because of the design, as how the part is replaceable (via threaded shaft) will be the weakpoint and ultimate undoing. My theory is that the threaded shaft will first bend(may deflect or snap) then the threads will shear off because they are then encountering a force far beyond what they were designed for.

fair enough, that's the point i find the weakest as well. i've clamped a ball joint in my vise and tired to bend or break it, and i've not succeeded yet (by cheater bar or with a sledge). i'm going to figure out a way to bend it with my hydraulic press, and see what it'll actually put up with.

2) Autocrossing the car will indeed test the design, but not to a level that would be equivalent to Lemons. An Autocross rarely, or even never gets to the same level of speed most of these races are getting to. At Nelson Ledges, many cars were seeing triple digits at the end of the back straight. It will be impossible to generate a lateral load (brief or shock) equivalent to needing to turn at those speeds. You may be aware of how to use the brakes to prepare the car, but this being a race environment, with door to door racing, it is quite possible to briefly overstep that safety zone from which you can safely slow the car for that corner. could be you, could be a team member. Point is, that sudden need to turn late while braking would generate a shock load sufficiently over an Autocross. Depending on the track and location, the sudden suspension change can put the car off balance, and put it into a violent, nearly end-over-end car roll, which then can easily traverse most club-level race track safety barriers. on the other side, could very well be a paddock with lounging or wrenching Lemons teams/spectators, with their eyes engaged elsewhere. Instant numerous injury count. your cage, properly mounted harness, and race gear will likely minimize your injuries, but what about them? Unlikely, yes, impossible, no.

our autocrosses aren't your standard SCCA parking lot affairs. most of our cars see the top of third or middle of fourth, and that's during the timed stuff. once the timing equipment and the cones go away, the fun runs get damn silly.

3) Another factor an autocross doesn't cover, is the contact factor. alert and aware as you may be, you're going to be on a track with newbie racers, that may be too focused to note your presence in a turn or a line-change on a straight. they could drive right into your front wheel wells, and cause that bolt to shear right off. you will only, at best, be able to test for a small fraction of the forces involved in that sort of contact, but the bottom line is this: Manufacturers design those control arms so that when/if contact like that with i described occurs, it distributes the forces across a larger surface area that effectively mitigates a catastrophic failure. At worst, the OEM design deforms, drastically lowering your speed but instead of complete loss of steering, just puts a nasty geometry change that can be handled(albeit with high difficulty) allowing a driver to get to the side of the road to await that tow truck you seem to be so eager to come calling, and inhibit everyone else's race fun.

i'm not going to be able to test door to door at the autocross, but we might have a HST day at our local roadcourse before our Lemons run.  again, we'll be as tested as possible (and more tested than most Lemons racers, i'll bet).

3) Your testing methodology with you or team members is openly disregarding your own safety as well as theirs. Were I your teammate I would be questioning your regard for my safety and perhaps even my choice of teammates. If you're doing the car prep you need to have a thought for safety that is high enough that it may, infact, trump your teammate's own personal regards for their own.

considering my team members watched me build the arm, and have been around me long enough to know about my experience and abilities, i'm not sure you have enough info to make such a broad statement.

Racing is Dangerous by concept and by execution. Please don't consciously elevate those hazards for the rest of us. Play it safe and over-engineer the hell out of whatever you ultimately do.

i am, regardless of what the non-engineers on here believe.

Clueless Racing Reed wrote:

I really wish I knew how to put a picture on here but I don't.

if the pic is on the internet, find the address for the pic by itself. it'll usually start with www. and end with .jpg or .gif.  put (img) tags around the link. (brackets, not parenthesis)

(img)www.flickr.com/yourpic.jpg(/img)

I am not entirely convinced his idea is all that bad.  There is a class in the SCCA that has been using a 5/8's tie rod end at the end of the lower control arm for over 20 years.  There are over 800 of them active in the united states.  They are used as a camber adjuster in the rear which is the powered end of the car.  The cars weigh approximately 1700 pounds with driver which isn't far off what I would guess a gutted 2nd gen civic weighs.  These cars corner well over 1 g and we beat the piss out of them on a regular basis.  Imagine a mid/rear engine car fully side loaded with the throttle all the way down bouncing over rough exit curbing.  The tie rod ends hold up to that all day.  We now run much less camber but with past spec tires have run as much as 6 degrees and that had over a half inch of thread showing on the tie rod end.  We never had one break in anything other than a solid crash.  This is all with much stickier rubber than is legal in Lemons.  I would imagine the forces generated exceed what this car is going to see.

Formula SAE, Formula VEE,  Mini Sprints, baja/score,  there's lots of racing classes that use smaller rod ends / heimjoints (not terribly different from these tie-rods) in much more stressful situations.  some of us apparently have experience in these fields....some of us apparently don't.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Serj wrote:

Hey, I was just playing devil's advocate. I gave some sound reasoning, and notice I completely excluded the retroactive time-warp death to all Lemons theory. I also pointed out that while I wasn't against his approach, I put some logic to how home-fabbed suspension components should be treated.

All the best. Good luck!

thanks again....it'll either work, or make a neat video.

if it fails, i'll attempt something else.

Team OK-Speed

How do you plan to wire your kill switch? smile

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

I knew there was a reason I kept reading this thread.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Spud wrote:

Next to the fuel fill spout...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Spud wrote:

8 ga fence bailing wire.
It looks just like real wire, so it will work just fine. What could possibly go wrong. Don't worry though, it will be thoroughly tested many times at an autocross first. If it doesn't work, only my driver will be injured in the fire.

Everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

I know of an injury and more than one severely damaged cars locally from ball joint failure. I have no idea if your design is sound, but folding under a wheel at speed in a turn can most definitely end badly, and I'd venture probably will end badly.

I also think that just because it works OK at the autocross from, what, 8 minutes of driving time/day doesn't mean that fatigue won't be a problem after 24 hours. Again, I have no idea if this is an issue, but I wouldn't take autocross testing as a seal-of-approval.

Good luck with your project. You obviously didn't get the response you expected. I think what you did was clever, but I also think you got a variety of opinions here that are worth thinking about with due consideration.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

E-Speed wrote:

psychoboy wrote:

If this is properly engineered, it will be safe, period. The forces it will experience are directly proportional to the lateral forces generated by the tires...I have taken a stock lower balljoint out of a Gen 4 civic by using 17" wheels and gumballs....if the tires are modest, this solution should work, especially if the tie rod end is large i.e. designed for a heavy, large vehicle. I might worry as another competitor if the part wasn't constrained, but the hub isn't going to fly off if the part fails....IMO this kind of thing is what Lemons is about....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Spud wrote:

you must have missed it:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=496

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:
Spud wrote:

you must have missed it:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=496

Nice...

Sons of STIG

44 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-21 06:33 AM)

EvergreenDan wrote:

I know of an injury and more than one severely damaged cars locally from ball joint failure. I have no idea if your design is sound, but folding under a wheel at speed in a turn can most definitely end badly, and I'd venture probably will end badly.

considering the design of the suspension will not allow the wheel to fold under the car, the potential concern seems lessened.

the suspension design WILL allow the wheel to cram into the wheelwell (which might be considered 'folding'), but considering the design of the well, (as i've stated) it'll cause the tire to drag to quick stop. the car is a 'rear steer' car, so as the wheel moves back, it'll toe-in, and will likely force the other side to toe-in as well, making for a relatively safe plow stop. (as honda originally designed it)

I also think that just because it works OK at the autocross from, what, 8 minutes of driving time/day doesn't mean that fatigue won't be a problem after 24 hours. Again, I have no idea if this is an issue, but I wouldn't take autocross testing as a seal-of-approval.

seal of approval? no. proof of concept? yes.

and...honestly, our autocrosses are not your standard SCCA cone dodging affairs.

on the other hand, i could do what 95% of Lemons drivers do and left the stock ball joint in there....

sloppy fit, rattley noises....obviously safer than other solutions.

Good luck with your project. You obviously didn't get the response you expected. I think what you did was clever, but I also think you got a variety of opinions here that are worth thinking about with due consideration.

thanks, and actually i got exactly the response i expected. a bunch of exaggerated 'dukes of hazzard' physics from people who do not seem to have any experience in the matter, a few reserved opinions of concern based on actual logical possibilities, and a handful of it oughta works from people who are willing to actually think about it.

not unlike every other project i've succeeded at.

oddly enough, tho who vie to be at the front of the line to say 'i told you so' when things go wrong,  can never be found to say 'i guess i was wrong' when things go right.

Team OK-Speed

You divided by zero!?

May his noodly appendage have mercy on us all...

E-Speed wrote:

If your Chinese tie rod/ball joint experiment fails, who will your victim be in the hearse that your experiment just killed? And you think it will be funny to video the hearse? Please do everyone a favor and stay home. Don't tempt Lemons perfect 0 incident related fatality score, the one heart attack is more than ten million times enough. Regardless of what you may think, Lemons racing is dangerous enough with out somebody like you. Don't screw around with safety. This is not a place to save a buck.

Are you one of those people that hasn't left the house in 15 years to avoid swine flu, SARS, Mad Cow, rapists, muggers, carbohydrates, space shuttle chunks falling from the sky, and so on and so forth?

Seriously, if you're this concerned about failures involving fully caged, safety-inspected cars on a closed course, I can't imagine the terror you must feel at the prospect of driving on public roads with people who haven't checked their ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, brakes (pads, rotors, lines, or fluid), tire pressure, CV joints, or pretty much anything other than the radio station since buying the car.

lawls

Sons of STIG