Re: throughly off topic....home repair and improvement

Just talked to a door & window shop today about getting a new sash to replace the warped slider in out master bedroom. I was quoter $136 for real wood single pane about 2' x 3' (its a 6' x 2' horizontal slider, not a double hung). I live in southern California so didn't bother pricing it as a doubled glazed window. Now my wife wants me to get the whole thing double glazed (which means replacing the side of the sash that doesn't move as well) so when I go back and actually order it I will have a good idea what it will cost to just replace the sashes.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Moved the topic to the Drivers Lounge.

TrackGeeks_Chris: the Necromancer!

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

About 8 years ago, my parents bought a 1780's farmhouse.  the place was in bad shape, and windows were needed as part of the restoration.

They got (9 over 6 pane?) windows from Andersen, I believe ordered through Home Depot.  The walls are somewhere around 16-18" deep, and the install turned out great. 

just another alternative.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

30 (edited by mechimike 2013-09-23 09:05 AM)

Mrs. Tunachucker and I bought a house that was built in 2 sections- the NEW part of the house was constructed in the early 1900's...the original section of the house was built pre-civil war.  The windows are old, wooden, and have many cracked or missing panes.  There's storm windows on them that were installed at some point in the past, but at this point nothing seals very well and it all looks very tired.  We've tossed around the idea someone suggested above- restoring the windows in one room (our bedroom seems like a good starting point, since we'd like that room at least to be cozy in the Maryland winters) and then deciding if we want to continue that process or start looking for modern replacements.

I have heard that, ballpark, a well-restored original wood single pane window with storm window is about 80% as efficient as a high-quality modern double hung fancy window.  They key word being "High-Quality".  There is some modern, double-hung stuff out there that is junk, and weatherstripping does degrade over time.  Naturally, cheaper stuff degrades faster.

A bigger issue I recently discovered: the house is heated with a hot water boiler/ radiator system, and most of the radiators are cracked/ leak.  The boiler seems to be fairly new, at least, and the pipes seem solid.  So we're tossing around replacing the radiators, vs installing electric baseboard heaters, or possibly a heat pump.  The problem, of course, is ductwork- running ductwork in a 100+ year old house isn't straightforward.

In the meantime, we  have no heat in the house.  We do own 4 electric space heaters, and a couple of those propane jobs...

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

In the meantime, we  have no heat in the house.  We do own 4 electric space heaters, and a couple of those propane jobs...

buy a coal stoker stove. 

even at 250/ ton, it's the cheapest energy you can buy

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

There is a wood stove in the house, haven't tried it yet.

Coal stoker- how clean does it burn?  I hate to have to pressure wash my house every year to get the coal dust off.  I also want something I can leave running and not have to worry about shutting off when we leave the house.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Now that you live in a place with real cold weather, you'll find electric heat too expensive.  Fix your radiators or come up with some other form of reliable gas heat.  I manage to heat my 60 year old house for around $75/mo during the winter thanks to newer windows (still 20 years old but double pane and well sealed), gas heat, and a tiny bit of insulation.  Electric would be a lot, lot more.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Routed, double glazing installed wood windows from the original sashes are possible and the sash-weight-replacement winders work well BUT in the end is will cost you about as much (or more) as bargain vinyl-clad if you value your time at anything over $5/hour.

Personally, if it is anything like the windows on my 1913 bungalow in Tulsa, I would rehab the existing windows while filling the sash pockets but leave them single-paned.  There are a number of counter-weight replacement options.  Finally, add something like these to get your additional insulation:

http://windowsaver.com/
http://stormwindows.com/
http://www.alliedwindow.com/interior-storm-windows.html

If you choose to re-use your sashes, I cannot urge you strongly enough to do three things:

Strip/sand/exfoliate until you get any 70's or 80's latex paint off.
Pin the corners with dowels.
Use epoxy paint if you have any way of getting it.

If you do all of the above and pick a timeless color, you can re-hab once and never touch them again for as long as you won the house.