Re: Congratulations to the only black-flag-free team!

Congratulations to the SHO team...... so the odds of NOT getting a black flag is 1 in 156 or .6%.....I hope you guys bought a bunch of lottery tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was quite proud of my flag-less 2 hour stint to finish Saturday...but maybe the flag station had cramps from waving so many earlier in the day....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

dtfastbear wrote:

You might want to hold your applause for the Black Flag Free Team until I post and you review my low-lights video... smile smile

Uh oh.  There's always someone around with a camera.  How does the saying go?  I'd rather be lucky than good?

vwminispeedster wrote:
Tiago_InternationOLVO wrote:

We were also black flag free, although the engine died at 12.00 on Sunday!

Uh, nope.  You had at least one and it was ignored.

Hmm.. Interesting. Didn't think people got away with that sort of stuff? Well if we DID get a black flag, then it honestly went unnoticed, not ignored, as everyone was happy we had (apparently) managed to not get flagged in a race that had an average of 3 flags per team or so..

Sucks to have had our bubble burst! Oh well, next time we'll try even harder to not get any flags, "ignored" or otherwise.

vwminispeedster wrote:

We were also black flag free, although the engine died at 12.00 on Sunday!

Hmm.. Interesting. Didn't think people got away with that sort of stuff?

I think the thing you had on your side was you didn't continue to drive like ass-hats unlike some other teams.  So when they got busted for infraction #2 their penalties were even harsher than 2 infractions back to back.  Sorry to burst the bubble but the SHO was the only one that was clean from a "reported by the flaggers" standpoint (even though the impending videos may show otherwise)"

The funniest mistake from the flaggers though was calling in the Faster Farms team with a fuel leak plugged with a rag notification.  Then as they come into penalty we get the frantic message "FUEL TANK NO LONGER IN STOCK POSITION.  THEY MOUNTED ONE IN THE TRUNK.  ORIGINAL FILLER HAS A STUFFED ANIMAL IN IT."  No fuel leak rag, just a funny misunderstanding.

Congrats to that team I know that we didn't even get anywhere close to this. Well done fellas. Well done indeed. And that waving to the wife then loosing it is halarious, see yet another reason for me not to get married, it will hinder my Lemons driving.

We were out of the race by Sunday afternoon, but I'm sure the #85 Huey Newis and the Lose never made an appearance at the penalty box

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Dang it! I knew I should of hit the SHO. Brown noser!

Westyside wrote:

We were out of the race by Sunday afternoon, but I'm sure the #85 Huey Newis and the Lose never made an appearance at the penalty box

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/11/hueynewiswipeout-800px.jpg

You sure about that?

vwminispeedster wrote:
vwminispeedster wrote:

Hmm.. Interesting. Didn't think people got away with that sort of stuff?

I think the thing you had on your side was you didn't continue to drive like ass-hats unlike some other teams.  So when they got busted for infraction #2 their penalties were even harsher than 2 infractions back to back.  Sorry to burst the bubble but the SHO was the only one that was clean from a "reported by the flaggers" standpoint (even though the impending videos may show otherwise)"

The funniest mistake from the flaggers though was calling in the Faster Farms team with a fuel leak plugged with a rag notification.  Then as they come into penalty we get the frantic message "FUEL TANK NO LONGER IN STOCK POSITION.  THEY MOUNTED ONE IN THE TRUNK.  ORIGINAL FILLER HAS A STUFFED ANIMAL IN IT."  No fuel leak rag, just a funny misunderstanding.

I distinctly remember seeing the Faster Farms car leaking a clear liquid from the right rear quarter on Sunday about 3 hours from the event end.  They were going slow as if they had a problem.

35 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-11-24 03:31 PM)

Hoonlarity wrote:

I distinctly remember seeing the Faster Farms car leaking a clear liquid from the right rear quarter on Sunday about 3 hours from the event end.  They were going slow as if they had a problem.

They were slow on Sunday because the only correct torque converter they could find on Saturday night was a 3,500-RPM stall drag-race unit, which meant that the car would only accelerate under WFO throttle, after a pause for the pressure to build up in the converter.

36 (edited by Westyside 2009-11-24 05:01 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

You sure about that?

that brake failure is actually what put us out of the race, she went straight on the trailer after that one. Is it still a black flag if we didn't make it around to a flag stand?

And thanks for my new desktop background!

EDIT: here's what our brakes looked like after that spin. note the caliper pot glued to whats left of the pad
http://docs.google.com/File?id=ddh5gst2_9nwrkxzc4_b

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Man they have eyes every where! Nice Pic.

the SHO benefitted from no inforcement of the "pit lane exit line crossover" rule.

Yes....Yes I am whining.   DOOH!  Right back where I started.

1400Laps,

Do you remember what day and time the car crossed the line?  Was it a touch, or a a crossover?  Did it happen more than once?  From our observation spot on the grass we couldn't see the far end of the blend line.

I'm sure he wrote down the exact time, down to the second, while he was in the car.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

ronman wrote:

I'm sure he wrote down the exact time, down to the second, while he was in the car.

Well how many times were you in the car?  That has to be easier to remember than what you had for breakfast.  Although, if he's commenting as a spectator, then I'll give you that memory may be an issue.

I have video but who cares.

It WAS hard to see the end of the line. He crossed it, but not outrageously so.

Black flag worthy things happen. Shoot I got hit hard, but thankfully did not get black flagged, the guy was spinning and actually hit my right side with his right side. It is just fun to keep talking about all of this silliness cause I don't want the weekend to be over. Also I am eating cheese right now, so I need a drink with it.

Westyside wrote:

that brake failure is actually what put us out of the race, she went straight on the trailer after that one.

What I want to know is how a brake problem on a Fox Ford— one of the most common vehicles in any Pick-N-Pull— knocked you out of the race? Next time this happens, come see me and I'll find some guys to help you get parts/fix stuff. Lots of uber-mechanics at a Lemons race, and many of them are happy to help other teams get back on the track (and earn brownie points with the Lemons Supreme Court for doing so).

43 (edited by Disney 2009-11-25 02:21 PM)

No kidding....   I think I had at least two spare Fox calipers in our SVX trailer....

And for a trick, go pick up some calipers for a Mark VII LSC. bolts on the same, bigger steel piston. Won't melt to your pads and more surface area FTW.

<------ Owns 5 Lincoln Mark VII's

We've seen boiling brake fluid cause those caliper-lockup issues before, especially at the hot races (e.g. CMP and No Problem in the summer). Make sure you run the high-zoot racy-ass brake fluid, and bleed the system a few extra times.

45 (edited by Jeff G 78 2009-11-28 08:23 AM)

Rdach wrote:

Thanks for the advice. We're running good fluid, but mediocre pads. Any suggestions as to long-wearing pads? All the weight is in the front of our car. Combined with the crappy back drums, nearly all the braking falls on the fronts, and wearing our pads out.

Try Porterfield R4-E.  They are available for any car and are made for endurance racing.  The friction is high, but slightly lower than full sprint race pads.  For those with oddball cars, porterfield will make pads and put them on your old backing plates.

I bought mine from Livermore Performance.  No affiliation.  They were great to work with and spent time explaining what each compound's strengths and weaknesses are.  A set of pads runs $78 for our Z and they worked great.

http://www.lpiracing.com/livper/porterfield_1.html

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Hoonlarity wrote:

We had a great time.  Our fourth Lemons race and the strategy was to have fun, no penalties, and hope for no mechanicals.  That led us to a 30th place finish, I believe.  Thanks for the recognition. Nothing like a few ball-busting penalties in previous races to make a team come around, eh?

Oh, and for those that don't recognize it, we were GI SHO and Deja Moo.

Thanks for putting on a great event for a hoon driver like me that had never seen a competition license until you sold me one!

Y'all done good. It's hard to make those fragile as glass SHO transmissons last.