Re: Thoughts on what car

So I gueess I need to get a crown Vic,  There's seems to be so much support for one I think there should be a Lemons race for just crown vics.  Thankyou again everyone for the direction and the links to cars.  I am on the East coast  so any links to cars there would be very helpful.

27 (edited by Bobnova 2009-11-28 10:16 PM)

If you don't have a line on something else and/or don't have the mechanical ability and/or time to do something wildish, a crown vic sounds like an excellent plan.  One finished this year's arse freeze in the top third just by virtue of not being that slow, and running the vast majority (all?) of the race.

Personally my entry (eventually....) is likely to be 80's toyota pickup based as i have two free ones in varying condition.

EDIT:
The final results i as looking at may be out to lunch.  It finished totally decently, in any case.

Crown Vics should be the "training bra" of LeMon's...

everyone should start out in one... then upgrade to the "Victoria's Secret" Civic... or maybe the "Fredrick's of Hollywood" Miata!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

The Crown Vic is a body-on-frame car. That means you can remove the body and replace it with... something else.

Like a '61 Fleetwood!!!!!

I have a Lemons crown vic.  It has completed 3 Lemons and one 24 hour chumprace.  It has also survived driver training days.  It gets the oil changed, tires and brakes.  Perfect training bra analogy.  The thing that made it faster was experienced drivers getting in it.  We can run almost all of most tracks in 2nd gear a lot faster than in "D" even with OD locked out.  Just pull it into 2 until you hit rev limiter, then think about upshifting in the turn before the straight on the next lap.  Changing to BFG G-force sports in 255/50 16 shaved 50% was a great move for us.  If you buy rims I'd go bigger than 16 inch.  Anyhow, if you get one I'd be glad to share what my experiences.  We came in on the hook twice and 4 black flags at arse freeze 09 and ended 38th (#81).
Tim

timdeckert, pick up some knockoff LX Sport rims... they're 17 inches... and any 17 inch '05 and up mustang rim will fit an '03 and up vic...

and check out www.adtr.net

Thanks Bonedriver, ours is a 97.  We have 2 sets of 16 inch rims and we thought about upsizing but we already have 16's and we found the BFG tires after the Tinkerbell Rosso guys ran them to 9th overall on a 96 P71 at Thunderhill in 08.  If they quit making those tires before the crown vic dies we will probably need to go bigger in order to find any tires that fit.  But, with all the choices in 22, I'm not sure 17's will do! (lol)
Tim

I've run 4 events in a 98 CVPI (P71) with 3 of the 4 events placing top 30. the 4th event we got a bunch of new drivers and they seemed to enjoy the penalty side of the racing as much as the track time. We've also been the fastest "fat" car at CMP South Spring 09 with a top 20 finish. the beautiful thing with a vic is you're not left trying to put the whole damn thing back together after a race. It lets you hone and polish bits here and there and make it a little better each time. tbh, the only thing we changed was tires, and the pads we use on the car, do fluids and it's ready to run again, and again, and again. the heavy duty cooling, combined with the under-optimized (250hp in a 4.6L V8 ain't exactly screamin') engine make them real tanks.

The crown vic is definitely on the top of the list  but still  would like to find something that will be a crowd pleaser of an old car.  I am still thinking about 2 paths for the car purchase 1 crown vic and something else that we may or may not complete by July .   Still think the 24 hours of Lemons should have a crown vic only race with all the support there is for crown vics

JWR991 wrote:

The crown vic is definitely on the top of the list  but still  would like to find something that will be a crowd pleaser of an old car.  I am still thinking about 2 paths for the car purchase 1 crown vic and something else that we may or may not complete by July .   Still think the 24 hours of Lemons should have a crown vic only race with all the support there is for crown vics

we all support them, but many are not driven to run them, because few people think they have a shot at winning. I know at the very least of 3 teams who've come very close to putting that concept to rest. we were in 11th before a concrete wall ended our day at toledo, and the Crown Royal vic purchased our back brakes and went on to place in the top 10. also that 96 from the Tinkerbell Rosso guys wound up 5th iirc.