Re: Brake pads

We're running with el cheapo "China Will Go Stronger" rotors, and EBC Yellowstuff pads on out E30.  We've now run the equivalent of one whole race, and the pads aren't even half worn.  We've removed the dust shields from the front brakes, but not from the rears, and have determined via inspection that the rears are running a decent amount hotter than the fronts, so we're going to pull/cut off the rear shields for 2010.

Our primary problem right now is that the brakes constantly feel a bit too spongy four our liking, despite the smaller-than-stock booster.  We've bled the brakes about 10 times between buying the car and now, and have never gotten any air out of the system when we've tried to re-bleed after thinking "these are soft--must be air in the lines".  We'll also likely go to SS flex lines for 2010 as well, so hopefully that will help a bit.

I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

Re: Brake pads

Does your brake pedal feel firm when you have fresh rotors and pads, and then get soft as the pads wear? It could be you have having some extra flex from the piston being extended. To combat this, use fresh pads and flat rotors. You can also insert old backing plates (with pad material ground off) as shims to take up some extra space.

If with fresh pads and rotors, you still have a firm pedal, and you don't have ABS (and the possibility of air in the ABS pump), check your wheel bearings. You may have some play, which knocks the pads back.

I seriously doubt that SS brake lines will help any more than fresh rubber ones would, assuming lines are an issue.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.