Re: What DD to buy?

No cars I've ever owned really apply here, unless you consider a Toyota Echo fun to drive. The G8 GT I just bought doesn't satisfy half these requirements, although the ones it does satisfy it blows away in hilarious fashion.

I can say that as a 6'4" guy with a tall torso, I don't find the Prius to be roomy. I barely fit in the front seat, and the back is uninhabitable.

Actually, I can second the recommendation for the Vibe/Matrix. Team co-captain (also a tall guy) owns a Vibe, and both of us fit in the front at least. Toyota reliable, most came with a stick shift, and the base model supposedly gets 33 mpg highway. Apparently there's an available supercharger as well, if you ever feel the need to sacrifice #2 for #1.

SpaceFrank wrote:

No cars I've ever owned really apply here, unless you consider a Toyota Echo fun to drive. The G8 GT I just bought doesn't satisfy half these requirements, although the ones it does satisfy it blows away in hilarious fashion.

I can say that as a 6'4" guy with a tall torso, I don't find the Prius to be roomy. I barely fit in the front seat, and the back is uninhabitable.

Actually, I can second the recommendation for the Vibe/Matrix. Team co-captain (also a tall guy) owns a Vibe, and both of us fit in the front at least. Toyota reliable, most came with a stick shift, and the base model supposedly gets 33 mpg highway. Apparently there's an available supercharger as well, if you ever feel the need to sacrifice #2 for #1.

The Toyota Matrix XRS and Pontiac Vibe GT both got the Toyota 2ZZ motor, same as the Lotus Elise. 180hp from the factory, but it requires premium gas, apparently.

I wouldn't think that this engine would be one that you would necessarily want to move to from the Mustang. You already know how torquey the Toyota 4-banger is at lower revs.

I personally recommend getting something powered with a Caddy 500 motor if you're not going to go for that e34 Touring. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I wouldn't think that this engine would be one that you would necessarily want to move to from the Mustang.

Street-wise I'll still be able to drive the Mustang. Already working on the big-Cad power - Anthony's welding the oil pan.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Why would I spend the time and money to rebuild the transmission?

True.  It's more of a personal thing at this point.  We have another car, but this is our first.  It's actually kind of fast.   That being said, it's not a big deal if I take it out, find an inexpensive rebuild kit and try.  If i mess up, it ain't no thing.  If I get it right, I chalk it off my list and have 2 Lemons cars again.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

30 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2014-03-27 06:25 PM)

Slightly above budget... Not sure it will get 30 mpg... but it satisfies the rest... and doesn't look like crap.

2006 Mazdaspeed6

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale … &Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale … &Log=0

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

I'm not actively looking for a car to buy yet, but I want to be ready when the Accord finally craps out. Right now the "short list" consists of:
Honda Fit Sport
Mazda 3 (non-turbo)

The maybes consist of
Toyota Prius
Vibe/Matrix

The Scion xB would be on the short list if my wife would be willing to be seen driving it.

32 (edited by gunn 2014-03-28 11:31 AM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

I'm not actively looking for a car to buy yet, but I want to be ready when the Accord finally craps out. Right now the "short list" consists of:
Honda Fit Sport
Mazda 3 (non-turbo)

The maybes consist of
Toyota Prius
Vibe/Matrix

The Scion xB would be on the short list if my wife would be willing to be seen driving it.

My thoughts:
I was looking for a replacement for my commuter given that i have a fairly long commute on days I go to the office (100mi/rt). My 1997 Honda Accord was starting to cost ~$100/mo (in aggregate) in maint while only getting me 30MPG at best for my hwy commute.

The Honda Fit was a great sized car and very versatile inside but a) the short hood would make maintenance more of a pain (think minivan packaging) b) the 1.5L engine was a bit too gutless for freeway merging in CA. If I only drove in SF, this is probably what I would have bought.

I loved the handling of the Mazda3. There are some comments about quick rear tire wear b/c of the aggressive negative camber on the rears but that could have been dialed out with a rear camber kit.

In the end, I bought a Prius and am glad i did. Why? The MPG. I simply couldn't argue with the 49MPG I achieved while driving on vacation for a week (mostly hwy, just like my commute) last Oct. After 5.5K mi, I'm still averaging 47.5MPG despite the crappy CA gas and high freeway speeds (most of my cruising is done at 70-80MPH). The only downside was that handling was dreadful -- I'd say downright scary -- at hwy speeds. It reminded me of an 80s toyota minivan with how the body would roll. My solution was to factor in suspension upgrades into my acquisition cost (up to $1.5K for the Tokico coilover kit + swaybars). My problem is that in SF, dropping your street car is downright stupid given the hills. Luckily, all I needed was the $250 TRD rear swaybar (cars after mid 2012 have a stiffer center chassis brace -- another significant point of complaint of folks). Now the Prius handles no worse than my Accord ever did and in a long sweeper the crappy low rolling resistence tires will lose traction before the body starts to roll outwards. Of course, since I bought this car purely for its MPG, I wasn't about to give up the few MPG switching to stickier tires would cost me.

Another option: if you feel you need AWD, I was pleasantly surprised by the driving manners and MPG my mother in law's recent Subaru XV crosstrek got her. We consistently got 32MPG on the last road trip we took with to Yellowstone her despite a car full of 4 adults+luggage. If I had to buy an SUV-let, this is the one I'd buy.

Two more selling points on the Prius:
- Hybrid battery replacements are FAR lower than originally expected. I remember finding a different article that discussed how the replacement rates of 1st gen Priuses are MUCH less than originally anticipated even by 2013.
"Toyota says its out-of-warranty battery replacement rate is 0.003 percent on the second generation Prius that debuted in the 2004 model year. That equals about one out of 40,000 Priuses sold, says Toyota spokesman John Hanson. "
http://www.newsweek.com/hybrids-high-co … ries-90397

- I can't find it but I also remember an article about how maintenance costs (brakes, engine wear, etc) are lower with Priuses than their all gas equivalents (which would probably be the Yaris). The engine/braking system simply doesn't have to work as hard and it shows after lots and lots of miles.

As far as being a driver's car, forget about it. This is an appliance.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

But would you autocross it? More than once?

Digging up an old post, but I thought I'd give an update.

My wife's Accord's power steering pump is now defunct and the transmission is hitting pretty hard lately. I found an '05 xB for sale a hundred miles away for a decent price. I showed the craigslist advert to my wife and she said, "Oh, that looks cute." so I put xBs back on the short list. We went to look at it and bought it. Our 6'6" son (he's still growing) fits with plenty of room and our 5'10" daughter says it looks cool, "kinda like a toaster". Going from a 300+hp Mustang GT to a 108hp xB isn't fun, and I broke the rear hatch handle within 8 hours of buying it. Still, I'm looking forward to a set of stickier tires and a rear sway bar.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Congrats....

...Though a small part of me just died for you.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

Good news! My wife's enjoying 'The Toaster', so I get to keep driving the Mustang.

WarpdSpazm wrote:

Congrats....

...Though a small part of me just died for you.

I felt the same way buying a Prius. I HATED how much body roll it had.

I seem to recall that the suspensions of the XB and the Prius are very similar so I would highly recommend a rear sway bar. With my Prius at least the car stays flat until the rock hard LRR tires start squealing... which is fine by me. Before, the Prius handled like an 80s toyota minivan.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

EriktheAwful wrote:

Digging up an old post, but I thought I'd give an update.

My wife's Accord's power steering pump is now defunct and the transmission is hitting pretty hard lately. I found an '05 xB for sale a hundred miles away for a decent price. I showed the craigslist advert to my wife and she said, "Oh, that looks cute." so I put xBs back on the short list. We went to look at it and bought it. Our 6'6" son (he's still growing) fits with plenty of room and our 5'10" daughter says it looks cool, "kinda like a toaster". Going from a 300+hp Mustang GT to a 108hp xB isn't fun, and I broke the rear hatch handle within 8 hours of buying it. Still, I'm looking forward to a set of stickier tires and a rear sway bar.

Thanks to all for the advice!

With a stick shift, you can fool yourself into thinking you're having fun.

That rear hatch handle is a piece of shit that Toyota should be embarrassed to have put on their cars.  The same thing happens to tC owners.  The second (!) time I had to replace mine, I called Toyota up and complained about it.  They reimbursed me the cost of the repair.

The problem with it is that there is nothing structural there.  The handle activates by squeezing the rubber part in the middle.  That releases the latch.  But when you then pull on that handle, you're pulling on a 1/4" thick piece of plastic with barely anything to keep it from flexing.  In the cold Midwest winters, it is also very brittle plastic.

You see them all the time with the plastic hatch handle cover dangling off the back or duct-taped in place.

Other than that, it's a great car.  If you don't already have the armrest, there's a couple available through the aftermarket.  One comes with a little storage cubby and a padded vinyl lid.  Sure, the vinyl was torn up when I traded mine in with 99,000 miles.  But it was awfully convenient and nice to have a place to rest my arm.  I think I paid $125 or $150 for that armrest.  Best upgrade I could have had.  Cruise control was $400 from the dealer for the stick shift.  Installed, I believe.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing