Re: New Pathfinder for tow vehicle?

badm0j0 wrote:

The lease is up on my much loved Kia Sportage and I've decided to spring for something that can tow. Anyone driving and towing with a late model Pathfinder? Amongst the mid-size SUV's it has pretty amazing tow capacity (7000 lbs).

Things to know:

Our car/trailer combo weight is 3280 lb (when connected to hitch..so it may be a little more)
We tend to drive 6+ hours for all of our races and I'd like to pile all 4 of us in one vehicle that can handle 4 200+ lb guys, gear and towing.
I don't want a Tahoe, Durango, Exhibition, etc
I am an urban driver who hits 10k/year on a heavy year so gas mileage, city parking, size, etc are priorities
Bluetooth- i Love the bluetooth in my Kia. Anyone have experience with and love/hate the Pathfinder Bluetooth call/phonebook/music/siri functionally?

Thanks for your thoughts

I am in the same spot as you.  I will have to turn in my Armada in about a year and will need to buy something new.  I want something that will seat 7 or more and be able to tow a Lemons car.  I also want something where the second and third row fold flat for sleeping when hotels are not convenient. Pathfinder is not an option for me because I hate the CVT.  RWD or AWD is also a requirement as I hate FWD.  I would like something just a little smaller and with better gas mileage than the Armada.

Have you looked at the Ford Flex or Explorer?  I am not sure how good they will tow though.  Other things I am thinking of are 4Runner, Acadia, Sequoia, Tahoe, another Armada, etc.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

27 (edited by RogueLeader 2015-05-13 09:41 AM)

rb92673 wrote:

Have you looked at the Ford Flex or Explorer?  I am not sure how good they will tow though.  Other things I am thinking of are 4Runner, Acadia, Sequoia, Tahoe, another Armada, etc.

Of your choices only the Tahoe or Armada I would use for towing.  The rest you're asking for trouble, as they are all technically jacked up cars (excluding the 4runner which is body on frame but just doesn't have the torque for towing often).

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

28 (edited by chaase 2015-05-13 10:59 AM)

RogueLeader wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Of your choices only the Tahoe or Armada I would use for towing.  The rest you're asking for trouble, as they are all technically jacked up cars (excluding the 4runner which is body on frame but just doesn't have the torque for towing often).

The new Colorado/Canyon has a 7000lb tow capacity if you want to look at that. They have options up to a 4-door long bed. The back seats are actually pretty roomy. I was looking at one until my wife nixed a pick up from replacing my SUV.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Recruit a teammate that has a big truck. Then have him pay to drive your race car. Why buy the cow when you can get paid to drink that milk.

Team Sheen Integra and Mirada.
Every Gingerman & Autobahn since 7-2011

EyeMWing wrote:

Just drop $10k on a beatass old 3/4 ton diesel. Or way less money on a beatass old 3/4 or 1-ton with a gasoline motor.

I don't disagree with this, in fact I plan to do this but it may not be the solution for the next few races.

We actually have access to an old f250 that we could turn into another project and use to tow indefinitely but its been sitting for years, in an mostly unknown state to me. The owner says it only needs a fuel pump but anything that has been sitting for years never only needs one thing. The tires are shot. Tires for dually + fuel pump + everything else thats wrong  <  $100/mo more than current lease, creature comforts and (my assumption) reliability on these long hauls.

organizer's choice 2011 Can't Git Bayou
judge's choice 2014 'Shine Country Classic
actually started AND finished a race 2014 Gator-O-Rama

How old is the F250? If it's a diesel and newer than about Q2 2003, insert standard warning about the 6.0 PowerStroke. I know nothing about Ford truck gas engines, though.

32 (edited by badm0j0 2015-05-15 09:42 AM)

SpaceFrank wrote:

How old is the F250? If it's a diesel and newer than about Q2 2003, insert standard warning about the 6.0 PowerStroke. I know nothing about Ford truck gas engines, though.

94 f250 gas 351. Is that good or bad? It looks like 11mpg but i'm sure a 351 can pull the rig if our old chevy v6 van could. I'm more curious of that engine and year combo.

badm0j0 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

94 f250 gas 351. Is that good or bad? It looks like 11mpg but i'm sure a 351 can pull the rig if our old chevy v6 van could. I'm more curious of that engine and year combo.

I'm assuming is an auto.  That's a solid combo as long as you aren't in a hurry, and like buying unleaded.  However if its been towing it entire life, the trans may be suspect.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Drdanteiii wrote:
badm0j0 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

I'm assuming is an auto.  That's a solid combo as long as you aren't in a hurry, and like buying unleaded.  However if its been towing it entire life, the trans may be suspect.

I looked at it for the first time in ages yesterday. The windshield has leaked and the entire inside has been wet, moldy and mildewed for who knows how long. I think I'll find another option.

So this puts the Durango back up. I really would rather get the v6 for initial $ and city MPG. Pulling 3300 lbs + 1500 lbs in guys/gear seems feasible with this combo. Thoughts?

badm0j0 wrote:

I looked at it for the first time in ages yesterday. The windshield has leaked and the entire inside has been wet, moldy and mildewed for who knows how long. I think I'll find another option.

So this puts the Durango back up. I really would rather get the v6 for initial $ and city MPG. Pulling 3300 lbs + 1500 lbs in guys/gear seems feasible with this combo. Thoughts?

I looked at it and if you go RWD or AWD you need the SXT Plus model at a minimum to get the towing package that you'd want.  Both have the same tow rating, 6200lbs, which will just about do the job.  In the end this is a far better option than the Pathfinder.  Now that said you're gonna find yourself unhappy when it comes to hills etc as the V6 doesn't have the torque to give you the oomph you probably want.  Also gas mileage when towing may well be worse than the V8 due to the V6 having to work much harder to move the load.  But if you're only towing a few times a year, the day to day MPG gain negates that.

RogueLeader wrote:
badm0j0 wrote:

I looked at it and if you go RWD or AWD you need the SXT Plus model at a minimum to get the towing package that you'd want.  Both have the same tow rating, 6200lbs, which will just about do the job.  In the end this is a far better option than the Pathfinder.  Now that said you're gonna find yourself unhappy when it comes to hills etc as the V6 doesn't have the torque to give you the oomph you probably want.  Also gas mileage when towing may well be worse than the V8 due to the V6 having to work much harder to move the load.  But if you're only towing a few times a year, the day to day MPG gain negates that.

Thanks. according to the dodge page below, the towing capacity is 6200 for the SXT V6 (non-plus model). Did you see something that indicated the base doesn't have the same towing capacity?

http://www.dodge.com/model-compare/quic … =CUD201511

We've been pulling it with an old v6 chevy van to our events and thats been fine to date. It struggles a bit on long hills but at 2 pulls/year, I'm ok with that

I've towed our 740 Volvo Wagon using a number of different tow vehicles including a 2014 Nissan Frontier pickup, which I assume is similar to the Pathfinder.  I have also used a 2013 Suburban, 2005 Navigator and various Uhaul pickups (Ford and GMC).  By far my favorite alternative is the Uhaul.  It is so much easier to drive while towing than all of the other alternatives.  The Suburban and Navigator, while based on full sized pickup chassis, are not sprung for towing.  The Uhaul pickups are and there is quite a difference.  The truck drives the trailer and not vice versa.

As for the Nissan, I have only used it locally (<25 miles) and in no construct of the universe would I use it to tow any further than that.  The lack of mass in the truck makes the whole experience nerve wracking.  Nevermind that we could never fit all of the crap we haul to races in the Frontier's smaller than full-size bed which means loading the race car full of crap, which sucks.

If I were you, I would look for a car that you want to drive everyday and rent a rig from uhaul when you race.  You will be much happier and you will arrive at the track in a more rested and energetic state.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

badm0j0 wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:
badm0j0 wrote:

Thanks. according to the dodge page below, the towing capacity is 6200 for the SXT V6 (non-plus model). Did you see something that indicated the base doesn't have the same towing capacity?

http://www.dodge.com/model-compare/quic … =CUD201511

We've been pulling it with an old v6 chevy van to our events and thats been fine to date. It struggles a bit on long hills but at 2 pulls/year, I'm ok with that

Sorry it took so long to reply, you need to get the SXT Plus to get the towing package which has the trailer plug wired up, class IV hitch, heavy duty cooling, and load leveling rear suspension.  If your concern is towing with something that can *just about* do it, that would be the best way to go.

On the one hand, we've towed from Chicago to Texas and back with an XTerra full of spares and tools.

On the other hand, I've recently nearly killed myself while towing an un-caged Miata locally with the same XTerra - you should not try braking while going downhill.

I kind of was doing similiar comparrisons as a tow capable vehicle as my next car and ended up on the Durrango also.  Haven't gotten far enough to test drive it, but was amazed that the 3rd row seats can actually fit adults.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Don't get the pathfinder, for a couple reasons...

1. My friends dad has one for a work vehicle and it's a real POS

2. The thing can barely handle a car and trailer, we towed a U-haul car trailer with a stipped out Daytona on it to Thompson last weekend and the rear suspension was so compressed the wheels has ~5degrees of camber

Great passenger vehicle, but for towing not so much

1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z - The C-Team

I am really waiting to test drive the new Colorado with the small diesel motor. Any month now

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

I am really waiting to test drive the new Colorado with the small diesel motor. Any month now

And the Nissan MAY soon follow in a year or two.

I still, now that I have one, argue the "dedicated" cheap American truck is about the best option if chosen carefully but that is not the point of this thread.  That said, my $1300 1995 C2500 has cost me (ignoring emissions issues) $180 in parts (battery and starer) and $150 in used tires over  year.  The insurance cost about $95 and tax/title/etc is about $75 a year.

I towed our civic from Austin to Joliet using a 2014 V6 crew cab frontier.  It towed very well, but:

• I stiffened up the rear springs with an add-a-leaf

• I was careful to not overload the bed of the truck, we had a second truck (Tacoma) that carried all the heavy extra crap.

• I was hauling a 1975 civic (~1500lbs) on a relatively light car hauler (~1500lbs)

I learned from earlier tows to Dallas and Houston that the springs definitely need the stiffening, and things get dicey if you put too much weight in the bed when you are towing.  Don't overload and it works well, including hard braking.

Not sure why 4Runners haven't been mentioned in this thread. All are full frame.

2003-2009 model years were available with a 4.7L V8 that had 7000-7200 lb tow rating (4wd/2wd respectively). Also has a 5 speed automatic transmission that is incredibly stout (same auto used in 4Runner, Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, Tundras in this same timeframe).

I've towed our Lemon on an open aluminum trailer (~4000lb) without it breaking a sweat, as well as a 21' travel trailer weighing 5000-5200 lb.
One of my team members has a Pathfinder (2010?) that has towed the car/trailer as well.

3rd gen are regarded as simple and bulletproof, 3.4 V6 was good for 5000lb tow rating IIRC.
4th gen have more complexity, still bulletproof. 4.0 V6 and 4.7 V8 available. 5000lb and 7000lb tow ratings.
5th gen got more complex, heavier, only have 4.0 V6, tow rating 4700-5000lb.

4th gen 4Runners can be found for $5k-20k with the V8, depending on year/mileage/condition.

#881 - Poorza Motorsports (previously Canadian Border Patrol) [October 2012-American Irony] --- [April 2013 - The Cure for Gingervitis - Gingerman { 7M-GE RIP } ] [June 2013 - Doing time in Joliet ] --- [November 2013 - Chubba Cheddar Enduro - #5 Class B]
[April 2014 - The Cure for Gingervitis - #8 Class B] --- [July 2014 - Doing time in Joliet - #3 Class B] 1UZFEFTMFW!!

russian wrote:

On the one hand, we've towed from Chicago to Texas and back with an XTerra full of spares and tools.

On the other hand, I've recently nearly killed myself while towing an un-caged Miata locally with the same XTerra - you should not try braking while going downhill.

You ought not to be towing anything near that heavy without trailer brakes. Even the crappy surge brakes on the u-haul trailers keep the trailer from pushing the truck on a downhill

BTW - I have been a bit of an evangelical Colorado owner since 2005. The crew cab and extended cab models from about 2007 or so were rated at 6,000lbs (though I have towed that with my 4,000lb rated regular cab), and the later models came with a 300hp 5.3 liter V8 in them, if you are lucky. The ZQ8 Extreme with the V8 could almost have been called the SS, and I believe it tows just as much and if more fun to drive when not towing.

tylert4066 wrote:

Don't get the pathfinder, for a couple reasons...

1. My friends dad has one for a work vehicle and it's a real POS

2. The thing can barely handle a car and trailer, we towed a U-haul car trailer with a stipped out Daytona on it to Thompson last weekend and the rear suspension was so compressed the wheels has ~5degrees of camber

Great passenger vehicle, but for towing not so much

Wouldn't that indicate WAY TOO MUCH tongue weight? Or did you have the trailer, your gear, 5 guys and spare parts packed in the Pathfinder too?