Topic: Caliper mount material

For those of you that have some experience with making mounts for brake calipers or engineering knowledge, what's my best choice for metal when machining an adapter for the mounts?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs133.snc3/18043_768502941877_9613012_42855114_2747087_n.jpg

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Re: Caliper mount material

I adapted a set of 13" ZR-1 Corvette calipers and rotors to my Cavalier Z-24 and I used just plain carbon steel 3/8" thick.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Overkill is your friend here.  You don't want the caliper to flex under hard braking.  Use thick steel for the adaptors and be sure to lok-tite the fasteners.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I've done tons of street cars with 1/4" plate (model As and such), but for a race car heavier is better.. use 1/2" and you'll be more than OK.  If you have a milling machine (and a lot of time), you could make a one-piece aluminum mount, but that's a lot of work for a minimal reduction in weight.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

OlCreFoo wrote:

For those of you that have some experience with making mounts for brake calipers or engineering knowledge, what's my best choice for metal when machining an adapter for the mounts?

Just JB weld it on.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:
OlCreFoo wrote:

Just JB weld it on.

I dunno if I'd trust JB Weld for this, unless it was reinforced with duct tape.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

VKZ24 wrote:

I adapted a set of 13" ZR-1 Corvette calipers and rotors to my Cavalier Z-24 and I used just plain carbon steel 3/8" thick.

I agree, using 3/8" will work just fine. The cast caliper will shatter before you loose the structural integrity of the carbon steel. Make sure all bolts nuts and washers are Grade #8 that would be the weakest point in your build.
Toyota uses 3/8 plate in their design when they went to larger rotors on their 87 MR2s.  Just make sure you can stop, I would hate to be in front of you if you can't:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

JB weld, duct tape AND pink zip ties will work best.

Pen

Pendejo wrote:

JB weld, duct tape AND pink zip ties will work best.

Pen

might add a few sheet metal screws, too

just for luck........................................

ha you only need that much when attaching 2 4 piston calipers to a 6" rotor on a 1200lb car.
wink

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/CIMG1813.jpg

Sounds like it's nothing super fancy required.  I'll see what's laying around my brother's shop and get a supply of pink zip ties for him.  I'm sure his duct tape and JB Weld supply is consistent.  Maybe even find two more sets of calipers and try to get a triangle going.  Apparently there wasn't enough beer during my design phase.  VWdmc seems to have that down.  There might be enough room...

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Home Depot is a great source of caliper bolts....the galvanized carriage bolts are a bargain....or use the leftovers from the Chinese bicycle you assembled for the kids at Christmas...don't forget the Juicy Fruit....don't want the bolts vibrating loose...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

yeah cause loctite is a formula derived from bubble gum, make sure you use the long lasting kind, it is an endurance race!