Topic: Speaking of rain..

I think I know the answer but would a harder/ narrower tire be better for rain?  400 treadwear and narrow vs.  wider 200?

Re: Speaking of rain..

standing water or just wet surface?

jmitch wrote:

I think I know the answer but would a harder/ narrower tire be better for rain?  400 treadwear and narrow vs.  wider 200?

Run the widest tire you can find.   Shave it to 3/32" tread and run 36 PSI.

Or were you asking what would be best for your team not what would be best for our team...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

i'm thinking temperature might play in here also.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

jmitch wrote:

In standing water, think water ski vs. wake board.  Which one is easier to "plane" with a given weight?  A wider contact patch will make the tire hydroplane faster.  On just a wet surface, wider is better.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Depends... Whole race under rain? highly unlikely... I've got "steamrollers" on my Audi, and there is not a lick of hydroplaning at high speed, even in a downpour. This is Lemons, not F1. Run what ya brung and drive the tires to the limit of the current environmental conditions. I optimize for dry, and take what comes - even with my "real" race car (relative to the rest of the pack, I'm actually faster in the wet than the dry)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Pretend you're the Stig. He can drive in any conditions, and we should, too. yikes

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

For wet pavement you want the same kind of tire as dry pavement.  The tread compound has an effect on wet traction, but it is not related to treadwear.  In standing water you want a rounder longer contact patch.   That means a more narrow tire at a higher pressure.

You can buy a rain specific tire that has a tread shape to help water evacuation and a tread compound made for wet conditions.   If you want to minimize problems with hydroplaning you can run on the high side for pressure.  You will loose some grip on the wet pavement, but you will have a better chance of keeping the tires on the pavement in deep water.

Combine wet weather with cold (like CMP this weekend) and you run into additional problems.  Performance tires with sticky treads have a high glass transition temperature.   The tread compound will have low grip at low temperatures.  Sticky tires do relate strongly to tread life.  Higher treadwear tires tend to be optimized for all season performance and have better cold temp performance.

Not all who wander are lost.

Those dudes with the Audi 4000 are going to run away with the race!

Today we were seriously considering caging the '96 Continental that I picked up for $500 on CL. Bad front right air strut, though, and it wouldn't be as fast as the Mark despite having the same motor (no time to gut/prep it). Plus, I wanted to make it my DD. Still, it would have more traction on a slick track, and heat, not to mention A WINDSHIELD.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Drive it well enough and you still can use it as a DD... afterall, Jay is DDing Pendejo's S600, right? big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

All he needs is some dealer plates to DD it, right? Gotta be a dealer on some NorCal team that can loan him a set...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Thanks! I think.

14 (edited by Libre Driver 2010-02-02 08:51 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

That's my old car (the Quattro Libre).  Now we're driving an unreliable rear wheel drive Italian sedan that lacks grip on DRY pavement (but I wouldn't trade her for anything else)!  Taylor B. got the deal of the century when we sold him the Libre.  Curses!

Greg
Quattro Libre '84 Audi (Lemons South '08)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Lemons South '09)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Southern Discomfort '10)

I have no roof!

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

IcantDo55 wrote:

I have no roof!

1/4 inch plywood and some zip ties will fix that....

IcantDo55 wrote:

I have no roof!

Flip it over, empty it out.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Libre Driver wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

That's my old car (the Quattro Libre).  Now we're driving an unreliable rear wheel drive Italian sedan that lacks grip on DRY pavement (but I wouldn't trade her for anything else)!  Taylor B. got the deal of the century when we sold him the Libre.  Curses!

Yeah, that's our old car now, too.  Taylor was too lazy to fix the tranny on the Libre, so we're bringing a (hopefully) reliable rear wheel drive Swedish sedan.  If we do get rain, I'll wish we had the Libre.  She needs a lot of love, but she'll totally be back this season.

Swede Sixteen Racing - 85 Volvo 740 - Southern Discomfort '10, South Spring '10, South Fall '10,
Southern Discomfort '11 (GRM Most from the Least Winner), Shine Country Classic '11
Quattro Libre Racing - 82 Audi Quattro - South Fall '09

IcantDo55 wrote:

I have no roof!

join the club!  drive faster, stay dry.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11