26 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-02-08 09:17 AM)

Re: Roll cage and roof access

i had that sig before, but after this weekend it is fitting.

-our teammates' FX16 put a rod through the block.  pics on Jalopnik.  that car is cursed at CMP for some reason (its last three CMP races:  rolled, blown HG, thrown rod, all relatively early on Saturday).

-the GZE in our MR2 is waaaaay down on power.  our supercharger relay crapped out on sat moring so we ran the first half hour with no boost.  we hardwired it, but on sunday it was only making (maybe) 3-5 psi, instead of the 10 it is supposed to make.  boosted engine minus boost = S-L-O-W.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

For some reason my eyes are dislexic and I can't read/comprehend these posts. So if it has been said then OOPS... But what we do for cage installs is located where we are going to weld the cage to; The hole saw a 2.5" bore for a 1.25" tube.

We cut all the mounting points out and fab up a replacement flat brace to be welded to the body. Usually it is out of .125 or .25 steel. Tack them in place and then start assembling the cage in the car.

Once all the visible welds are done we grind the tacks from the plates off and drop the cage through the floor. Weld the top welds and then lift the cage back up. Weld the plates in place and weld the tubes to the plates.

Add a little extra bracing to some of the verts and call it good. Nothing like adding 150lbs of steel to a unibody car.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Buzz Killington wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

A roof keeps you pants clean while you crawl out...

which seems to be just a bit too late to worry about clean pants.

Not true....when you crawl out and wave to the crowd, you're the centre of attention...ya gotta look good for the sponsors....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jim, Buzz means that you probably already have had an accident in addition to the original accident.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Nature's little way of ensuring you're not getting right back into that car

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

RobL wrote:

Jim, Buzz means that you probably already have had an accident in addition to the original accident.

They say that, but I've found the opposite problem....nothing getting past that sphincter...maybe I need to combine the end over end with the conventional rollover....I normally keep them separate...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:
Cadillac Bob wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

We used plinths up front and were able to slide the A-pillar tubes off them to provide access to weld those to the roof halo.  It was harder to weld the tubes onto the plinths than anything else just because access in the footwells are tight.

Corking advice, chum!  Our plinths will be installed as soon as we're done using a spanner to do up the gudgeon pins, and after we've assured an adequate petrol level using a torch.

(spent too much time looking at Haynes manuals when I was a kid)

don't forget to replace the escutcheon disc after rebushing the grunnion banjos...if you don't, inadequate silencer/damper clearance might create a noise in the boot...

HAHAHA! - knowing VKZ24,  your busting on him for sounding like an old Brit is funnier than you know - he's a smart dude, but you are sooo off base...

- shortest Dorifto Dog