26 (edited by rmcdaniels 2010-02-08 05:43 PM)

Re: Are Southern Lemons Drivers really better than the rest of you?

Mick25 wrote:

Roger it was great meeting you guys in the pits, and listening to Cheeto explaining what the most recent penalty was for.   Best quote:  "But one was a mechanical black flag, so they let us back out..."

Did the car make it back home????

My favorite moment was watching Robert explain to Jay that the car wouldn't stop because we just put new brakes on it. I was just shaking my head and waiting for doom.

I made it home; the car is mostly intact. We were stuck with just 3rd gear for the last 1.5 hours of the race, but I found that I could use all of the gears on the way home if I kept the RPM's below 3000 and double-clutched it. We'll pull the trans later and go through it's mechanical guts, but the car held up way better this race than it did for the last one.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

If I am reading Mylaps.com right, there were a total of 11 full-course cautions all weekend.  At least two were for detonated engines and one for a Mustang catapult with a stuck throttle into the tire wall.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

... one for a Mustang catapult with a stuck throttle into the tire wall.

Didn't he know to push the start button for 3 seconds?  Is anyone paying attention around here?!!

- shortest Dorifto Dog

Let's not forget all the fires!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Yeah... when I went off on sunday due to the calipers exploding, I got it started again... got it moving and I touched the brake and all it did was smoke worse so I knew I had to get it off the track... the fireman came running up to the car and I asked if I was on fire... his response was classic... "mmmmm could be!" so I jumped out...

It was the weirdest feeling standing there... like I was on stage in front of a thousand people... naked.

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bonedriver wrote:

Yeah... when I went off on sunday due to the calipers exploding, I got it started again... got it moving and I touched the brake and all it did was smoke worse so I knew I had to get it off the track... the fireman came running up to the car and I asked if I was on fire... his response was classic... "mmmmm could be!" so I jumped out...

It was the weirdest feeling standing there... like I was on stage in front of a thousand people... naked.

I know that feeling!  From relative anonymity to watching the firetrucks pull up and the race halted while I stood there next to my burning car...ugh.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

CMP definitely does not disappoint Lemons arsonists. Why do cars down south go up in flames at five times the rate of every other Lemons event?

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

CMP definitely does not disappoint Lemons arsonists. Why do cars down south go up in flames at five times the rate of every other Lemons event?

Lots of hard braking with little to no cool down time.  It has a well deserved reputation as a killer of brakes with club racers.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

We'll claim one of those black flags. The Stig hit the track hard after we put on all 4 brand new pads. First turn = spin 360*. Came in, fixed a misplaced rear pads, got back out in about 10 minutes. Not a bad stop!

Remember, pad material faces the rotor, not the caliper... wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

... that and calipers are not omni-directional...

sorry 'bout that... hehehehe

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Speedycop wrote:

Remember, pad material faces the rotor, not the caliper... wink

LOL! We were checking our pads after day one and sure enough, one of the right front pads was on wrong! Car still stopped good...ruined a Hawk though!

I blame it all on the hillbillies in the #69 stinkin' lincoln.  Wow, those guys were a piece of work.  I wish I had their conversations from Saturday night on tape.  I'd be youtube rich!

WAIT WAIT... I can answer this...

The answer is YES... Southerners = Better

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

bob-e wrote:

I blame it all on the hillbillies in the #69 stinkin' lincoln.  Wow, those guys were a piece of work.  I wish I had their conversations from Saturday night on tape.  I'd be youtube rich!

hillbilly1 wrote:

Fuck Lemons racing FUCK Lemons! THis shit is stupid as a squirrel in a potato peeler. I LOVE  Lemons! I Love Jay Lamm! I love this shit! WOOOOO!!!!..........  Man we all drive for nationwide. You are all a bunch of dumbasses. you should race Nationwide. I love Lemons! In nationwide, we get a rough driving flag, we get put on the trailer. At Lemons they paint you up like a mime. I love this shit! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That was about 1 of 60 minutes of pure comic genius.

bob-e wrote:

They couldn't possibly have been more entertaining than the huge entourage associated with the #68 Diamante.