Topic: Alignment specs

OK, obviously this will depend on the car, but was just wondering how much camber/caster you guys are running, and whether you'd make any changes for your next race.  Please post what you're driving in your response, too!

--Bob

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Re: Alignment specs

of course each car will be different....FWD vs RWD and suspension design determines how much you can run.....but as a general guideline....max out caster, set toe to slightly in (front & rear) and as much camber as you can run....

Then you can tune the handling to suit the track and your driving style...

On the 928 we run neutral toe all around....max camber (2.5' all around) with max caster (don't know #)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I would be curious to see what guys do on fwd's. In a rwd, we ran about 4.5 neg. camber on both sides and 2.5 positve caster. Car worked good.

4 (edited by Cadillac Bob 2010-02-15 12:06 PM)

icemang17 wrote:

On the 928 we run neutral toe all around....max camber (2.5' all around) with max caster (don't know #)

Depending on how we weld the front end back together, caster could be wherever we want it... was kinda curious to hear opinions on how much is "too much".  On my drag car, for example, I'm running about 15 degrees, but obviously that wouldn't work well on our Marlin.  A friend's Lemons car (Chevy pickup) has about 1 degree of caster, which strikes me as too little, but he says it handles well.

Our car is big but (relatively) light, Camaro front suspension, Jag rear, BBC powered.

What I'm trying to do is set up the front end within a desirable range of adjustability.  I don't want to have to torch the whole front suspension apart again because I screwed the pooch the first time.  I'm thinking that a range of 2-8 degrees (EDIT: of caster) would be good but opinions from those with more experience than I would be appreciated.

When I drove a camaro clip car at Sebring we ran what I posted above. We had more caster at first but the car felt like it wanted to "float" the front down the long straights.

I think the basic advice listed is good, but toe is a bit different for FWD. Max out positive caster, a touch of toe in unless your car is a total pig, then go zero (RWD) or toe out in the front if a FWD pig (FWD usually needs a bit of toe out in the front anyway). Anything over 2.5 degrees negative camber will give quite a bit of wear on a decent chassis, but if you have no roll control anyway, then more doesn't hurt I guess. -2 is the most I run on reasonably good handling cars (5 events history, two car team). Get the weight off the nose, throw on some ebay coilovers and corner weight it... no, wait, don't... This ain't sports car racin! - besides, then you'll catch up to me in the corners smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

At Nelson's we ran as much negative camber as we could get into the car, set the toe at 0 all the way around, and had a great car that didn't wear tires, and handled great.  I don't remember exact figures, but I hink it was about 2.5 deg negative

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

We run -2 deg. of Camber and 5 deg of caster in our Camaro with the toe set at 0

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Aligning our RX7 this week, but the consensus is:

Front:
-2* Camber
1/16 toe OUT
as much caster as possible.

Rear:
-.8 to -1* Camber
0 Toe

If anyone has any input we're all ears!  The toe out is very minimal so it shouldn't eat tires too much, but turn-in should quick!

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Stang Man wrote:

Aligning our RX7 this week, but the consensus is:

Front:
-2* Camber
1/16 toe OUT
as much caster as possible.

Rear:
-.8 to -1* Camber
0 Toe

If anyone has any input we're all ears!  The toe out is very minimal so it shouldn't eat tires too much, but turn-in should quick!

That should be a good baseline...

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Rear toe should always be slightly in.  You will get kinematic compliance resulting in more toe out while cornering, so you need to start with some toe in.  1/16" per side should do.  Toe out in the rear mid-corner in a bad thing.  The car becomes unstable and send you spinning into the weeds.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Rear toe should always be slightly in.  You will get kinematic compliance resulting in more toe out while cornering, so you need to start with some toe in.  1/16" per side should do.  Toe out in the rear mid-corner in a bad thing.  The car becomes unstable and send you spinning into the weeds.

Good point.  These cars had the DTSS bushings that would toe in the  rear wheels at X amount of lateral force, to reduce oversteer. 

Now that they're gone I may just go straight up zero toe in the rear as a baseline.  All depends what we can get from it, period, as it was wrecked before becoming a Lemons racer!

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

And anyone who races a car with semi-trailing arm rear suspension is an Expert at what turns a sports car into a fork lift truck at speed!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

You know, I've never even looked to see if the Jag rear is adjustable for toe/camber... I'm an old-school muscle car guy, so it never crossed my mind!  Better check that out one of these days.

Jag rear camber is adjustable but not easy. Look at where the rear axle meets the rotor at the diff and you will see some shims in between. Add or remove the shims to give negative or positive camber. On a good day you may find 1 to 1.2 deg negative available. Remember your rear setup is very dependent on weather the rear axle U-joints are loose or not.

A easy rule of thumb on almost any car is
Front 2.5 to 3.5 negative camber
ALL the caster you can find
1/8th total toe out

Rear

1 to 1.5 negative camber
toe in 1/16th total.

Start here and work your way in. Use a tire temp probe if you can.

Always remember loose is fast and comfortable drivers are slow.

Peace

Pen Mighty Dejo

Pendejo wrote:

Always remember loose is fast

We like our cars like our women!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Yeahhhh Brother!!!!