Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

TWB503 wrote:
fleming95 wrote:
TWB503 wrote:

Thanks all for the replies (why did I stop getting email notifications?)

...Craigslist is no help, can’t find anything that isn’t going to be a total scrapheap for $500 or less (LITERAL rustbox, will spend $10k getting running...

Bit of a threadjack, but what's up with beater car prices in (at least) Texas?

Thought there'd be good pickin's via CL - but there's not as much as I'd expect given how large the Dallas area is (although I did find a $650 Fiat 500 Sport that looks interesting) -

- whereas in the SF Bay there's the usual $250 1996 Dodge Intrepid (runs) and $750 TR7 (ran when parked in 1989) and $800 2011 BMW 328i having had a car fire in the trunk (no key, imagine the $500carmyass!1!!1 when you showed up)...

Is it the Cali smog and registration requirements?

But back to the topic.  Had anyone linked this previous forum thread, that's a good read about car costs?:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36498

Just ran it through, seems like now I know how much I need to spend, I just need to get the money. I've been promoting a GoFundMe on social media, but unsurprisingly, nobody has donated. So I guess I'm on my own here.

And yeah, I'm p much SOL finding a good Lemons car in texas

Patience goes a long ways.  Cars will come up.  Start saving money and keep an eye out.

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

There was a veteran (I think) thunderbird that was (I think) in Texas, for sale on this forum for $2000. Not sure if it's already sold though. If he still has the car and hasn't sold it, you can always negotiate.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

fleming95 wrote:
TWB503 wrote:

Thanks all for the replies (why did I stop getting email notifications?)

...Craigslist is no help, can’t find anything that isn’t going to be a total scrapheap for $500 or less (LITERAL rustbox, will spend $10k getting running...

Bit of a threadjack, but what's up with beater car prices in (at least) Texas?

Thought there'd be good pickin's via CL - but there's not as much as I'd expect given how large the Dallas area is (although I did find a $650 Fiat 500 Sport that looks interesting) -

- whereas in the SF Bay there's the usual $250 1996 Dodge Intrepid (runs) and $750 TR7 (ran when parked in 1989) and $800 2011 BMW 328i having had a car fire in the trunk (no key, imagine the $500carmyass!1!!1 when you showed up)...

Is it the Cali smog and registration requirements?

But back to the topic.  Had anyone linked this previous forum thread, that's a good read about car costs?:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36498

Driven past a new car dealer lately?  Do it and look closely at their lot.  It will have cars around the peremiter and none in the center.  Availbility of new cars is at an all time low (chip shortage mostly but other supply chain issues).  This has cascade affect to CPO cars being worth almost new prices, 5 year old formerly 10-15K cars worth $20K but the worst is the under $5K market...cars that used to be worth $2-2500 are worth $4-5K.  Even scrap values are up so so a non-runner is worth at least $350 instead of $200.

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

FWIW if you don't buy a done car, buy what you know...if you are a FWD import guy get one of those, old school RWD V8 'Merican car guy, buy that

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

duthehustle93 wrote:

There was a veteran (I think) thunderbird that was (I think) in Texas, for sale on this forum for $2000. Not sure if it's already sold though. If he still has the car and hasn't sold it, you can always negotiate.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=39838

40+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

The good news; I got the RX7 down to $2,500, which I have, and am ready to buy
The bad news; my dad does NOT want me to spend a crapton of money on this, and won't let me buy the car unless I get a teammate or someone to pitch in.
What do I do now?

57 (edited by chaase 2021-10-09 05:52 AM)

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

TWB503 wrote:

The good news; I got the RX7 down to $2,500, which I have, and am ready to buy
The bad news; my dad does NOT want me to spend a crapton of money on this, and won't let me buy the car unless I get a teammate or someone to pitch in.
What do I do now?

1) Get a team mate
2 ) Try and  convince your dad to do the whole thing with you.
3) Was the RX7 a pre-built car, if not, look for one of those instead since they will be cheaper

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

chaase wrote:
TWB503 wrote:

The good news; I got the RX7 down to $2,500, which I have, and am ready to buy
The bad news; my dad does NOT want me to spend a crapton of money on this, and won't let me buy the car unless I get a teammate or someone to pitch in.
What do I do now?

1) Get a team mate
2 ) Try and  convince your dad to do the whole thing with you.
3) Was the RX7 a pre-built car, if not, look for one of those instead since they will be cheaper

1) My current actual teammate doesn't know if he can do it and also doesn't have any money to give in
2) Not happening, he doesn't want anything to do with this
3) The RX7 is a prebuilt, i think it just needs an updated roll cage

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

^2. There's a message in there for you, if you're listening...

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

1. Listen to your father
2. Get on a team as crew
Or
2.b. visit a race

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

bobnowoc wrote:

1. Listen to your father
2. Get on a team as crew
Or
2.b. visit a race

I'm still going to the Houston race reguardless. I wish I could find a team looking for a crew member..

62 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2021-10-09 10:32 PM)

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

TWB503 wrote:

[snip]
I'm still going to the Houston race reguardless.

Good choice

TWB503 wrote:

I wish I could find a team looking for a crew member..

Try the OK Matchmaker thread again. List your skills, qualifications, and resources; anything you can bring to a team. Treat it like a job interview.

And again: study this entire forum. Show a prospective team your willingness to work - it'll go a long way.

edit: Next season is closer than you think

63 (edited by fleming95 2021-10-09 11:41 PM)

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

If you sign on with a team (and perhaps even if not, since who knows who you'll run into who needs a hand) here's a tip:

Bring your own tools - when you need to get working on something you'll know where they are _and_ they'll get put back in their places.
First time out with a new team (and, still, most of the time, even five races in) you won't know where the team's tools are as well as your own.

Also, when you start out, if you just keep tidying up the pits you'll be the clutch guy (no pun intended) when the rest of the team is running low on steam late in the day and starts brainfading.

<edit>
Honestly, so much of Lemons seems to be inventory and clutter control that anyone with a gift towards logistics is valuable - maybe you're that guy?

64 (edited by Bricoop 2021-10-14 08:31 PM)

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

TWB503 wrote:

http://cservices.ddns.net:81/u/zTFbLO.png
Anything I'm forgetting? Anything extra? What goes where and what doesn't? etc etc etc

There’s a guy in Houston selling a car at a very good price of $3500 and has finished every race. I told him to message you. He posted on the “unofficial 24 hours of Lemons” Facebook group. I HIGHLY suggest you buy this car if you are serious about racing Lemons.

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

Friend of mine has one for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it … 007073821/

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

mharrell wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
TWB503 wrote:

<snip>.....So subtract the fuel cell and just use the tank, up the fillers to two,

No, no, no.  Absolutely not legal to modify a stock tank.  I think even with a fuel cell you would get smacked down for having two fillers.

I think from context that TWB503 is responding to TheEngineer's comment by expressing a desire to add a second fuel jug to the shopping list, not a second filler tube to the fuel tank. It's still worthwhile to keep in mind that stock fuel systems can't be modified, though.

Edit: As far as the theoretical installation of a second filler tube, I don't think Tech would like it even on a fuel cell and there's still the limitation that, for hot pit fueling, a team can only have one fuel jug over the wall at a time anyway...

Lemons does not limit jugs over the wall.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

fleming95 wrote:
TWB503 wrote:

Thanks all for the replies (why did I stop getting email notifications?)

...Craigslist is no help, can’t find anything that isn’t going to be a total scrapheap for $500 or less (LITERAL rustbox, will spend $10k getting running...

Bit of a threadjack, but what's up with beater car prices in (at least) Texas?

Thought there'd be good pickin's via CL - but there's not as much as I'd expect given how large the Dallas area is (although I did find a $650 Fiat 500 Sport that looks interesting) -

- whereas in the SF Bay there's the usual $250 1996 Dodge Intrepid (runs) and $750 TR7 (ran when parked in 1989) and $800 2011 BMW 328i having had a car fire in the trunk (no key, imagine the $500carmyass!1!!1 when you showed up)...

Is it the Cali smog and registration requirements?

But back to the topic.  Had anyone linked this previous forum thread, that's a good read about car costs?:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36498

Facebook Marketplace has become a better source for cheap cars than CL in Texas lately.

Texas is seeing a large population increase with few new cars available so used cars are in short supply and up in price.

Texas has very minimal safety requirements to take old cars off the road compared to CA smog requirements.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

TWB503

Tetanus is fielding several cars at MSR, you are welcome to stop by.
We will have competitive A and B class cars plus a new build.

Right now I am knee deep in prepping an E30 that's been in Lemons for years.
My preliminary budget estimate was in the $4000 range with a 4 driver entry.

Looks like we are about $800-900 on brakes this time: pads, rotors and calipers.
Calipers were not in our initial plan and add $250.
All these parts should last multiple races.

We are swapping the fuel cell from my car into the E30 and that's still a few hundred dollars.

Steel is really pricey right now, I picked up a stick of 1.50 x .120 ERW tubing, a couple sticks of box tubing and some sheet metal last week for another couple hundred dollars.

Fire Suppression $400

Recycled Harness from my car saves $250

Tires will be $500-600.

I rented a garage and plan to do practice which will add $400ish that was not in the estimate.

You can race for less than we are spending and other teams will spend more.
We spend extra money on things that increase our chances of race time (brakes) and more comfort/enjoyment (garage).

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Re: What should I expect to spend, and where?

Troy wrote:

Lemons does not limit jugs over the wall.

At every Lemons race where I've worked as one of the fuel marshals we were instructed to allow only one jug over the wall at a time so as to avoid having a bunch of jugs sitting right next to a car while it is being fueled and as a way of encouraging everyone involved to pay close attention to the one jug that is actually in use. Teams can take several jugs beyond the outer fence (or equivalent) to stage for a stop but can ony have one jug at a time on the far side of the final set of barriers.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP