101 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2010-02-13 06:40 PM)

Re: Dyno, Tech, Tune Day/Lemons Pre-Pointless Party. Feb 13th

Holy crap! That's a lot of horses!!

In other semi-related news, the Killer ZomBee made it as far as the Sunol grade (half hour from home) before blowing up. Rods-all-a-knockin, no oil pressure, sounds like a brick in a garbage disposal. Niiice!

The wife came and picked me up, and I abandoned it at a quicky-mart off the freeway after grabbing all my tools, then jumped in the SSS hoping to make it up to the party in time.

Nope. Got as far as Benecia when I heard another knocking sound.

@#$%! Not my day to get off the couch.

So long as I kept it above 4500rpm the knock wasn't too bad so I sped the whole way home. Now I get to go back up and rescue the Bee.

Soooo... how many days do we have left?

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs216.snc3/22338_1358207199785_1369652107_985453_1454030_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

MASSIVE suckage, Pete. Sorry to hear. Now go make it faster!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Pete
The "other" British machine was present and DID an impressive dyno pull!!!  I'll let him post details....but he did leave with 10 rolls of nickels!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Pete, that sucks!  Sad to hear it!

Thanks all, that was fun... and especially to Evil Genuis for hosting and to Red Rocket for the best damned tri-tip sandwich and lemon bar I've had in a while.   

And yeah, two delorians show up?  only at a Lemons event :-)

-m "this is how i roll"

Team Boxwrench Garage #916 - The OG Saab Team

Big thanks to John and the crew at EGR for a perfectly good waste of an otherwise perfectly good Saturday.

Extra big thanks (buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp!) to the chefs of Red Rocket Racing for the bitchin tri-tip sammies!

My 14 year old will seriously not shut up about Lemons now.  Just wait until I get him to the race! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks again all!

Rich
Team Porcubimmer
Team General Lederhosen

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Rods-all-a-knockin, no oil pressure, sounds like a brick in a garbage disposal. Niiice!

That's... that's not how MGBs are SUPPOSED to behave?  Crap, something's wrong with mine, then, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We also had a great time today. The sandwiches that Red Rocket Racing was making were awesome. Thanks to EGR and Red Rocket Racing for making it a fun day our for our team.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

I had fun jaw-jacking and looky-looing.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I had a fantastic time!  The food was excellent (thanks, Red Rocket Racing!) and it was great to see and talk with everybody.  I was pleased with the Sunbeam's dyno pull too...

One of the guys on the forum at sunbeamalpine.org dyno'd his car a while ago.  His car has a freshly rebuilt 1725cc motor with a ported head and flat-top pistons.  It breathes through the unspectacular original Zenith WIP carbs, but it put down a solid 70 horsepower.
My car, on the other hand, has the earlier 1592cc motor.  It has a Weber DGV carb, but I've never tweaked the jets to perfection.  It's got many miles (and years) on it, and the oil pressure isn't what it should be.  I figured the old girl would put out something in the high forties, and we'd all have a good laugh, and I'd consider myself lucky if it didn't blow up right there on the dyno.

I never thought I'd be so proud of sixty-six horses!

Armand4 wrote:

I figured the old girl would put out something in the high forties, and we'd all have a good laugh, and I'd consider myself lucky if it didn't blow up right there on the dyno.

I never thought I'd be so proud of sixty-six horses!

And 10 rolls of nickles. :-)

Congratulations, nemesis. You win this time...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

In true Lemons spirit, I plan on using the $20 to buy beer for the race.  You'll be getting one.

Until then, get busy swapping in one of your spare motors!

John did mention that they might have another one of these parties before the race in May.  If they do, I vote that we run the British Shitbox Challenge again.  Maybe we can get Murilee's Toyota-Healey Sprite on the dyno, too!

Thanks everybody for coming!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Armand4 wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

In true Lemons spirit, I plan on using the $20 to buy beer for the race.  You'll be getting one.

Until then, get busy swapping in one of your spare motors!

John did mention that they might have another one of these parties before the race in May.  If they do, I vote that we run the British Shitbox Challenge again.  Maybe we can get Murilee's Toyota-Healey Sprite on the dyno, too!

GREAT IDEA.....  I will bring another 10 rolls of nickels for the winner!! 

Thanks to John and the EGR crew for hosting a great event & letting everyone run the dyno for super cheap...& surprisingly not one car blew up on the dyno.....I am quite impressed...  So I guess the estate is the only Lemons racer to spill oil + catch fire on the dyno....which is pretty cool actually....I consider that a RECORD!! 

The BBQ was great....Red Rocket knows how to get the grilling DONE....excellent tri tip....I REALLY hope they BBQ at Sears Pointless....I will gladly contribute a whole bunch of nickels if they do!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Thanks to John, Clint, Hank and Ed for working hard while we all had a good time.  Well, honestly, it looked like John was relaxing quite a bit, too, which was good to see for a change!! smile

Thanks for letting me crash the party with a couple of non-LeMons cars on the dyno.  I hope my pathetic show of cooling system preparation on the V8 Miata on the dyno didn't take too much time away from others.

Special thanks to Clint, Scott M, Jason, Hank and Jared for pushing through the last bits of prep to get that car on the dyno for its first pull.

Cheers,

Dean

115 (edited by magnusracing 2010-02-14 07:00 PM)

Wish I could have made it up! Sounds like it was a good time and I'm extra bummed out I missed Tri Tip which is one of my favorite foods.

Someone has to post a list of the cars and dyno numbers!

See you all at Infineon!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

116 (edited by magnusracing 2010-02-14 07:04 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

Wow, that's at the wheels? New Lemons record for sure!

Yes, at the rear wheels AND through an old 3 speed auto slushbox...  more than expected for a stock motor for sure. Guess removal of all emission equipment and exhaust restrictions really helps the big V12 Jag motor!

However the car is still hopelessly overweight even after fully stripping it down so I doubt it'll be super competitive. It's good at lighting up the tires though..

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Thanks John for a great day!

All our guys had a great time watching our little Corolla put down much more HP than we were hoping for.  The BBQ was great, the weather was amazing, and I had a great time chatting with some of you guys.  Lemons dudes are always entertaining.

See you at Sears!

Craig

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Big thanks to John/Clint/Hank/etc!  We were pleasantly surprised at our numbers.  Now, if we could just borrow some driving talent...

Red Rocket Racing?  Stole the show!  Throwing down some seriously tasty burgers and tri-tip.  Montreal seasoning FTMFW!

John, please thank the fire extinguisher guy again for us.  That was great!

Pete!?!?!  WTF!?  Let me know if I can do anything for you.  I know about as much about MG as you do about Rabbits, but I know which end of the wrench goes in my mouth...  big_smile

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?