Re: When $500 isn't $500

pennintj wrote:

It's like the Special Olympics, only for cars.

While sooo wrong, that should be the new motto!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

pennintj wrote:

My interpretation? Leave the "price cap" alone.

Technically, the $500 "buyout" covers the problem of "cheater" cars.

It should be enough of a threat that if you show up with an old Celica GT-S All-Trac that you'd plopped a nice low-miler JDM engine out of you can rest assured not only would it win the curse, but *someone* in the Judges stands should hand your team $500 faster than you can say "Where's the ATM!"

-=Tom

It should be, Tom, but they never claim any cars. After they claim a car or two, that threat will actually mean something.  I hope they claim the Craptation at Stafford.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

You got to be careful Nick Pon's Ecrappe alladente is going to die someday and his next car could be yours!
So be very quiet they're watching !!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I've never looked at a car and thought we could sell off enough parts to get it under $500.

We did use two cars that combined cost $350.  Sold off some parts to cover the cost to put the motor together and that was about it.  Our shiny motor has been under suspecion ever since.

Compared to so many examples I've seen, we were conservative.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

LTDScott wrote:
RobL wrote:

A consideration might be to not allow people to sell things off thier car to reclaim $$$.

Our BMW is running in the San Diego Grand Challenge ($1000 version of Grassroots Motorsports $2009 Challenge) and they allow only $500 worth of parts to be sold off the car and deducted off the value of the car.

The $500 limit on sales is a good idea, but I don't think it needs to be considered just yet.  Maybe in the future though. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

I think claiming a few of the cheater cars would stop a *lot* of this crap.  Hell, turn around and sell the parts off the cars to the highest bidder or let people donate a few bucks to hit it with hammers...

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

When I built the Lemon Demolition car we  bought 2 crxs for$800 and took all the good parts off both ,built  one then sold  the parts off and had a but load of spares for frogger car

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

just worry when Jay shows up with his trailer empty and a sign on the side that says "Your Lemon Here!"