26 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-26 09:27 AM)

Re: Suggestions from Lemons Racers for Consideration By Lemons HQ

[snip]

27 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-26 09:37 AM)

[snip - again] (I need more coffee this morning ... oops, afternoon)

Safety...   The scariest thing I've seen over the last 10 years is when a car has a mechanical failure, and they stop on track in the middle of a straightaway.   Yes there are yellow flags, but if you're in the middle of a pack of cars you may miss the flag (or the flag isn't out yet as the the broken car is limping / slowing to a halt), and then stick your nose around a car on the straight and rear- end a stationary vehicle.   An ounce of prevention by the car with the mechanical (pulling off into the grass) could avoid a potentially deadly situation.   

Our car is low, and decently fast- this nearly happened to two of our drivers over the years.   

I'd like to see more of an emphasis at all drivers meetings on safely pulling off the track in the event of a failure - especially on fast straightaways.

Team Orca

29 (edited by rozap_ 2024-04-11 12:14 PM)

Meta suggestion: it's unfortunate imo that so much info is locked up in Facebook. Some effort to bring people to the forum would be cool. I also miss reading build threads. I've wondered about some sort of incentive to post good stuff on the forum, like a best build thread of the Year award that gets a free race entry or something. It seems like it wouldn't cost the Lemons org a ton and could potentially generate some traffic here.

Also would be nice if the forum software was more modern, built in image hosting would be huge so knowledge doesn't get nuked when an image host decides (cough Photobucket, cough) to be a dick. And also a decent mobile UI. Honestly I'd help with a migration if it meant hosted images and mobile support.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

rozap_ wrote:

Also would be nice if the forum software was more modern, built in image hosting would be huge so knowledge doesn't get nuked when an image host decides (cough Photobucket, cough) to be a dick. And also a decent mobile UI. Honestly I'd help with a migration if it meant hosted images and mobile support.

I assume image hosting has an associated cost due to size of cloud storage ect, but yeah I would like to have that.  I literally don't post stuff I've done or ideas ect because I'm too lazy to deal with image hosting.

31 (edited by rozap_ 2024-04-11 09:36 PM)

I literally don't post stuff I've done or ideas ect because I'm too lazy to deal with image hosting.

same. often dorking around in the shop and only have my phone, not going to mess with image hosting and copying/pasting bbcode.

image hosting is cheap. even the x1/9 forum has really good forum software at this point which works great on mobile, which is why my build thread is there, even though it's more about Lemons than it is about x1/9. and if the x1/9 people can do it...

rozap_ wrote:

Meta suggestion: it's unfortunate imo that so much info is locked up in Facebook. Some effort to bring people to the forum would be cool. I also miss reading build threads. I've wondered about some sort of incentive to post good stuff on the forum, like a best build thread of the Year award that gets a free race entry or something. It seems like it wouldn't cost the Lemons org a ton and could potentially generate some traffic here.

Trying to find information in the garbage overload that is served by Meta is a futile endeavor. F that cesspool.

Forums are way more useful for information.

That guy

33 (edited by rozap_ 2024-04-12 10:09 AM)

DirtyDuc wrote:

Trying to find information in the garbage overload that is served by Meta is a futile endeavor. F that cesspool.

Forums are way more useful for information.

It's such a blackhole for information. The only explanation is that it's intentional to boost engagement numbers. And more specifically for Lemons which is designed to be accessible, I think the challenge this causes with new folks is that there aren't end-to-end build logs that you can read through in a linear way when you're stumbling your way through your own first build. And so many of the old build threads from 10 years ago have broken images because of external hosting sad

I'm aware of all this and would love to get people back to the Forums.

As I understand it, META is basically burying anything with external links that isn't an ad so that nobody sees them, so I'm not even sure how to redirect people here FROM Facebook.

Honestly, I think posting the entry lists here is about as productive as anything, but if people want to document build threads end to end, I will try to push people back here.

What's amazing is that the Forum is a useful Google/Search tool (for now*) because so many "24 hours of Lemons [+ X Term]" searches return Forum results. Some days, I seem to be screaming into the void in saying that's still important and relevant.

*Until Google is also completely consumed with paid search manipulation. Yay internet democratization!

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Also, the mass-text tool rolled out this past weekend at PittRace. I don't know if we got feedback on it, but it seemed like it worked alright?

If you're at CMP this weekend, you should find QR codes at HQ and in the Penalty Box to get announcements and updates via text.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

Also, the mass-text tool rolled out this past weekend at PittRace. I don't know if we got feedback on it, but it seemed like it worked alright?

If you're at CMP this weekend, you should find QR codes at HQ and in the Penalty Box to get announcements and updates via text.

while I am generally in favor of things like this, I did not sign up because it was not clearly communicated what kind of information I would be receiving ???

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

therood wrote:

It was okay-ish. It seemed like there were loudspeakerings that didn't make it into the text messages. But black flag all on Saturday was nice to receive.

That guy

therood wrote:

In general, it was pretty good. Apparently Craig on our team texted a 'Thank You' to that number and he got a response of your welcome and a pick of a bunch of Lemons staff at a bar.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

text feature from Lemons was good. glad we had it going on smile

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

40 (edited by VKZ24 2024-04-16 11:19 AM)

therood wrote:

Anyway this QR code can be added into the mass e-mail we all prior to the race?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

yup, worked as intended....not bad for the roll out ....
and yes, full course black flag cause and estimate on how long the track will be closed was nice....this would especially be nice in really hot weather, like Thompson...in case driver wants to sit it out, or got to the garage paddock to cool off...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

VKZ24 wrote:
therood wrote:

I signed up from a link in the email. Didn't need a QR code.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
therood wrote:

QR code was not working for one of our teammates but I just signed up via texting the code.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

DirtyDuc wrote:

Got it.

Just signed up and it seems to be working so far.

Thanks Eric!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!