51 (edited by ronman 2010-02-17 08:39 AM)

Re: New to racing

fifthavenue wrote:

I think this car does have electronic ignition. There's a computer attached to the air cleaner and there aren't any points in the distributor. We have the service manual for the car and it said there's an oxygen sensor there too (which I found odd since it's carburetted).

You're not understanding what I'm saying, so just read this for description and theory of operation:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/lean-burn.html

And then read this to learn how to get rid of it:
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/leanbu … rticle.htm

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Drove a rental with Lean Burn in Colorado once...it would cough and sputter at altitude and then come to life as you went down grade....It was a really sensitive barometer, cutting in and out within a few feet of it's critical "altitude"...Rental guy said "Oh yeah, it's OK it's just the Lean Burn" ....and I was worried about the ballast resistor...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the links.

Now we have this chrome trim on the car. I want to remove it for weight savings and possibly selling them, but my teammates wants to leave them on since it gives the car style and might be an advantage to our theme (undecided, but it's going to be some sort of Mafia theme). What's the rule about the trim? Does it have to be removed in case we get into "rubbing is racing" and it falls off and pops a tire? Or just use packaging tape to protect them?

fifthavenue wrote:

Now we have this chrome trim on the car. I want to remove it for weight savings

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

55 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-02-17 04:37 PM)

5th ave,

Dude, have you seriously looked at all the pix on Jalopnik of the Lemons cars? I don't think you'll find a piece of chrome on any of 'em.  You want to remove every piece of non-essential items you can. The lighter you can make it, the more reliable it will be because you won't be hauling around as much weight or having to slow down as much weight.  It is easier on the engine / brakes / tires - just about everything.

MurileeMartin wrote:
fifthavenue wrote:

Now we have this chrome trim on the car. I want to remove it for weight savings

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

For shame, judge!  That 0.5oz will make all of the difference.

Sheesh.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

leave the chrome on it man. seriously. I've repainted the buick twice and actually taped off the chrome both times. hell, find MORE chrome to put on it. examples include the beezlebubbas Chromaro.

weight doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference in a Lemons race, unless we're talking about dozens of pounds here, don't bother.

58 (edited by jmitch 2010-02-18 04:37 AM)

oz.'s make lbs.

Fifthavenue,

so did you guys enter the "Going For Broke" race at Thunderhill on May 7-9th?