Re: Sears Pointless - I think we're in good shape.

Oh, right.  That's known as "the breaking-in period."

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Oh, right.  That's known as "the breaking-in period."

I think it's more like "broken, period".

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Pete, how many hours left to get the car running?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

One week to go and this is what is left of the 320HP jag engine. No problem i can fix it!

http://i47.tinypic.com/9avms9.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/vywt3o.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/mt9i4j.jpg

And we are waiting for the new wheels that should be here Monday and i still have to build custom fender flairs for all four corners.

No problem.

Pendejo

Looks perfectly reasonable.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Pendejo wrote:

One week to go and this is what is left of the 320HP jag engine. No problem i can fix it! Mas Delusions etc.

That looks exactly like my engine! Except of course you obviously photo-shopped in a bunch of extra cylinders. You funnyman you.

Trekkor wrote:

Pete, how many hours left to get the car running?

Wa HOOOOOO!!!!!!

It finally lives!!. Er, I mean it is still undead, but now with smokey steamy ANIMATION!!

Again!!

Hard work, long days and late nights have proudly netted us a horrible noisy lump of crap we have absolutely zero faith in. Every piston ring in the replacement engine was broken, the bores were badly rusted, and the rod journals have ridges. But hey, a few new bearings, rings, and a pass with a honing stone and we are off to the races!! We have ZomBee Magic and plan to use it.

P.S. It also turns out every mount in the drivetrain busted on our mid-air rotation. Only one bolt in the rear mount and the stick shift kept the motor from flying out of the engine compartment and decorating the hillside. Pulling the motor at the last minute gave us an opportunity to fix it correctly, which we declined.

Now to do something about this stack of bent wheels...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Took Bee to work last night. With the new rod bearings, the oil pressure dropped like the stock market after 15 minutes of driving, and falls to near zero at idle. Oh yeay!

The body is so screwed up the stock electric fan motors can't fit anymore. Our new electric fan turned out to be defective and has a broken internal connection. The engine overheated on the way home & used all my extra water. I ended up filling it with water from a rain puddle under a streetlight, ironically in the parking lot of a closed radiator shop.

Then as I pulled back out onto the street I lost clutch and had to speed shift & key/start from stoplights.

THIS CAR JUST AINT RIGHT!!!:-)

If we make it to Sears Point it will be a freaking miracle.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sorry to hear this.

Hope to see you.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Took Bee to work last night. With the new rod bearings, the oil pressure dropped like the stock market after 15 minutes of driving, and falls to near zero at idle. Oh yeay!

The body is so screwed up the stock electric fan motors can't fit anymore. Our new electric fan turned out to be defective and has a broken internal connection. The engine overheated on the way home & used all my extra water. I ended up filling it with water from a rain puddle under a streetlight, ironically in the parking lot of a closed radiator shop.

Then as I pulled back out onto the street I lost clutch and had to speed shift & key/start from stoplights.

THIS CAR JUST AINT RIGHT!!!:-)

If we make it to Sears Point it will be a freaking miracle.

You need to do something to correct your Karma...    I am not sure what, but something.  Sing 'God Save the Queen' to yourself over and over,  use words like 'bonnet', 'spanner', 'petrol' and 'boot' whilst bench racing and go to your local Public House and drink Old Scrumpy cider.    These actions should set your English car Karma on the right path...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

...the oil pressure dropped like the stock market after 15 minutes of driving, and falls to near zero at idle.

All kidding aside, my MGB has been like that for years.  Several other local B owners report the same thing.  One guy even (jokingly? we think...) attributes the long life of his engine, last rebuilt in the early '80s, to "not being stressed by all that high-pressure oil."  This is the stock gauge, right?

Of course, the other issues you listed sound fairly serious.  Best wishes and I hope to see you this weekend.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Hey, yeah! Maybe the sending unit on the motor is not compatible with the gauge.

I had that problem on my Porsche. Freaked me out.

Pour some 'Slick-50' in there and race it!

KT

Oil pressure at idle is overrated.

It's a mechanical gauge, and working properly unfortunately.

MGBs do have a fairly lazy oil pump. 25-40 at idle is about norm when hot, and 44-55 at speed. My GT was lower, but it did have 250k since the rebuild.

This one was 50 at startup, dropped to 2lbs at idle. 25lbs when hot at 4,000, and around 5 pounds at 2,000 rpm. The speed at which it dropped alarms me, because it's not a healthy engine. I attribute it to worn cam bearings and worn oil pump, and new rod bearings on a worn crank. It had noticeable ridges on the rod journals but I crossed my fingers and ran it anyways.

I figure it will bed-in and run just fine with low pressure so long as the flow stays adequate, or if something is deteriorating it will eat itself alive quickly, lol! Either way it's a junk engine so we are gonna run the thing till it blows! Any bets on how long that will take?

If we had more time I'd have rebuilt our super-cheaty race motor. You know, the one that made at LEAST 67rwhp, unlike them lowly Sunbeams.

Eyesore Racing runs Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. More anti-wear hocus pocus than they're allowed to run in gas-engine oil. Highly recommended for engines with no oil pressure.

Also, try cranking the idle screws. No more idle = no more problem.

-Dave

Does the car have one of those super-accurate Smiths oil pressure gauges?

41 (edited by icemang17 2010-03-04 06:58 PM)

An engine builder friend of mine used to race MG and Triumphs many moons ago....he often spins yarns of "racing to save the engine"....in that it was perfectly normal to see ZERO oil pressure in certain turns after "x" amount of time....the trick was to be very gentle on the throttle.....he might have some tips for ya...he WILL be at the race Saturday...shoot me an email and I'll give you his info

Just for info its the same engine builder that rebuilt the engine in my "other" race 928....think 500+Hp out of 5.0L normally aspirated!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

MurileeMartin wrote:

Does the car have one of those super-accurate Smiths oil pressure gauges?

SUPER accurate! To the right = Got oil. To the left = End oil.

I heard some MG folks had issues with oil pressure when using Fram filters, so on a lark I changed to a Bosch. I also refilled it with a heavy weight oil. It seems to have a few more pounds now. We then did a VooDoo magic dance and stuffed a half pound of hamburger in the tank. Anything may help.

Interesting call on the Diesel oil. I sat there eyeballing a gallon of it for a while at the parts store today. We may just end up doing that.

I like to keep the throttle a bit on the low side for engine braking, because you know, we go so fast. (snort!)

Remembering how the Capri folks were denied at Fernley, I daftly timed our few remaining minutes of engine-about-to-blow for Sunday afternoon. The goal was to beat pit out closure yet still have enough pow-pow-pow to cross the finish line for the last laps and "finish" the race.

The ZomBee did cross the finish one last time, but I miscalculated the checker by, oh, about 600 seconds. Here then is our moment of glory...

(photo courtesy of Judy Kiel, Stick Figure Racing)
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs457.snc3/26132_1388685761730_1369652107_1055562_4835123_n.jpg

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Remembering how the Capri folks were denied at Fernley, I daftly timed our few remaining minutes of engine-about-to-blow for Sunday afternoon. The goal was to beat pit out closure yet still have enough pow-pow-pow to cross the finish line for the last laps and "finish" the race.

The ZomBee did cross the finish one last time, but I miscalculated the checker by, oh, about 600 seconds. Here then is our moment of glory...

(photo courtesy of Judy Kiel, Stick Figure Racing)
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs457.snc … 5123_n.jpg

I saw that.....bummer....

So whats the plan to resurrect the zombee???

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2