Re: Sears Pointless, what a success!

dtfastbear wrote:

I want to also weigh in on the excellent flagging and the professionalism of the safety crews.  We had the unfortunate need to get to know the tow guys personally Saturday morning when we were struggling with fuel issues misdiagnosed as ignition issues for half the day.  We even got a little "message" from the judges that it would be a good idea to "not have to get towed in again"...

I thought it was great that the corner workers went out of their way to get in to the Lemons spirit with costumes and "attitude" during the race.  During a FCY, I even stopped to do a little "smoke show" for the turn 9a workers, which they seemed to appreciate.  I would have done donuts, but you just never know how that's going to go over with race control...

Dean

Agreed 1,000,000%

The crew did an excellent job....

I also was impressed at how well wienermobile was getting around the track....there was a spot where he came up the inside of the 928 braking into 9a....just looking over and seeing the weinermobile is just priceless

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

That last stint on Sunday right?

It made my whole day getting to pass you (if only for just a few seconds).

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Rob Stercraw wrote:

I loved seeing the guy driving the Saab convertible pass my RV on Highway 37 going towards Vallejo last night wearing the suit and balaclava with the DMV temp tag taped to the rollbar. 

Hardcore!  I froze my ass off just standing up above turn 2 spotting for our team Sunday afternoon - I can only imagine how cold you were.

I can totally see the scene from Planes Trains and Automobiles playing in my head...

"Do you feel this vehicle is safe for highway travel?"

"Yes, yes I do."

You sir, are my hero.

Can you believe he drove that dang thing all the way up from the grapevine? They lost the transmission in their tow rig, so they dropped the car, threw all the spare tires and parts in the back and off he went! Nearly had to pry Joe's (?) frozen fingers off the wheel when he got here in the dark of night.

A major oversight however, was forgetting to include their cooler full of beer. Not to worry, disaster averted when we donated some of Free-Range's leftover suds left behind from a previous race/fiasco.

My hat is off to you fanatical Saab owners. You have proven yourselves MUCH crazier than us MG folk.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Thanks to all you for not running us over, and over, and over when we broke down. Especially when I got stranded out at the start finish just before the checker. The drag strip was the best seat in the house!

That Lincoln was FREAKY when it came barreling down the front straight at full steam though. I decided to stand back a bit after that.

The tow truck driver tried not to laugh at us every time he came out to rescue the Bee and treated us with equal indignity. So "Thanks Mr Tow Truck Driver, and also race control for letting me come back in!"

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I want to thank all of you guys for making my first Lemons experience a great one.

I flew out from Virginia to hook up with my little brother, my uncle, and a good family friend for this race. They purchased an 85 RX7 (the one with the zombie on the hood) specifically for this race and it was great to us. We ran stock suspension and terrible tires and had the time of our lives.

For each of us it was our VERY first time on a track. I have made many quarter mile passes but never a road course. We improved dramatically over the two days taking our average lap time from 3:15 on day 1 to 2:50 on day 2. I even posted our fastest time of 2:35 on my last pass.

We had very few incidents the entire time. I went off course 1 time, our entire team only made contact with another car twice, and we only had 2 black flags for passing on yellow and me going off course.

I have to admit, our entire team was blown away by your driving abilities. You guys are freakin good man. I came into this very cocky thinking that I would be able to hang. It became very apparent that I have NO idea what Im doing lol. You guys quickly put our whole team in its place.

Anyway, this whole thing was amazing. The drivers, the pit members, Jay Lamm and his whole crew, everyone was just awesome.

This will NOT be my last Lemons. Im looking to put together an East Coast crew so I hope to see some of you out there!

-Matt and the Crash Test Zombies.

dtfastbear wrote:

I want to also weigh in on the excellent flagging and the professionalism of the safety crews. 

I thought it was great that the corner workers went out of their way to get in to the Lemons spirit with costumes and "attitude" during the race. 

Dean

Hell yeah, the crew was great.  During the red flag on Saturday I was stopped just out of turn 6.  After a while they came out with drinks.  I said "I need to take a leak!!!" and they checked and said it was OK to get out and use their porta-potty.  That was really appreciated (especially by our next driver)!

Fantastic race!  After a nearly clean Saturday (1 BF) we had a shit-load of BFs on Sunday, ending our day an hour early.  But damn, we even enjoyed our penalties!  We got our clocks cleaned when we were T-boned coming out of 6 ending up punted backwards into the embankment on the left.  Fortunately only the body was damaged and not suspension, etc.

-Bill

this is my first race of any sort and i had a great time.  it was really great seeing the Citroen team win the IOE.  i bought my mini from their team captain four or five years ago.  he's a hell of a mechanic and all around great guy.

-will
The Black Flags

craznoe wrote:

Yes last stint Sunday... 4pm to checker...I gotta admit....it took be by surprise to see that HUGE Corolla (I know it doesn't sound right) door to door with the estate....  To your credit your driving was VERY good....you were flat hauling that monster around!!!  :>)

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I came up on Sunday to check out the racing (after having also skived off from work early on Friday to watch tech and practice - shhh, don't tell), and it was a total success.  Here's what I thought rocked -

- spring in Northern California.  March was/is the perfect time for a Sears Point race.
- free coffee and Twinkies - thanks to Caffeine Unlimited and the Fat and the Furious!
-  the track layout with the dogleg made for great spectating, gave that part of the race that old-school Altamont dogfight feeling, but still let the rest of the track be fast and challenging.
- the Wine Box Country Classic added to the spectator appeal, since we could watch the black flag penalties unfold, then check out those other fine machines when the action slowed down.
- and, most of all, the start before the Sunday race:

Did anyone else get to watch the cars enter the track from the paddock?  The 'other' Jaguar (not the Pendjero XJS HE, the SBC/'tractor'-engined XJ6) turned left onto the track preentry, gassed it up, completely lost the back end, and ended up facing right back the way he came - ready for the slow crawl back into black flag!  Oh, the shame!

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Can you believe he drove that dang thing all the way up from the grapevine? They lost the transmission in their tow rig, so they dropped the car, threw all the spare tires and parts in the back and off he went! Nearly had to pry Joe's (?) frozen fingers off the wheel when he got here in the dark of night.

A major oversight however, was forgetting to include their cooler full of beer. Not to worry, disaster averted when we donated some of Free-Range's leftover suds left behind from a previous race/fiasco.

My hat is off to you fanatical Saab owners. You have proven yourselves MUCH crazier than us MG folk.

It was Jim ... one of my former co-drivers from Saabs Gone Wild back in the Altamont days. Good guy and I was happy to see that he first made it to the track and then did pretty well out there.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

icemang17 wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Yes last stint Sunday... 4pm to checker...I gotta admit....it took be by surprise to see that HUGE Corolla (I know it doesn't sound right) door to door with the estate....  To your credit your driving was VERY good....you were flat hauling that monster around!!!  :>)

Aww man, now you've gone and given our fearless leader a big head.  Next thing you know he'll start thinking we can actually race out there!

drogers wrote:
icemang17 wrote:
craznoe wrote:

Aww man, now you've gone and given our fearless leader a big head.  Next thing you know he'll start thinking we can actually race out there!

Just wait until our video is ready.....two cameras in car the WHOLE time and a roving cameraman in the pits and trackside.....I'm sure it will be top notch!!!!  I'm also certain it will have its share of weinermobile action in there too!! 

I'd love to see the in car driver view footage of me doing a double take in the 9 braking zone....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2