Topic: ghetto aero

The Saab guys at Gatorrama had some sweet aero, and it inspired me.  what is a good material for this?  I imagine it would be something that would hold up and not spray all over the track when it eventually grenades.  The wealth of political yard signs has my eye, but I don't think they would survive a lap.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Re: ghetto aero

Composite-fiber, aka plywood.

plywood is good, but heavy.....we used a sheet of aluminum for our pseudo airdam...but it broke off before the race :>(

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

plywood is good, but heavy.....we used a sheet of aluminum for our pseudo airdam...but it broke off before the race :>(

So, plywood then?

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Cardboard shapes and cuts easily... just add some epoxy to it...

Or use cloroplast

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

we used Bio-board for our rear difuser...

phenolic. just have to find a  bathroom divider wall laying around.

one of our crew just removed a fiberglass shower stall from his house....I see lots of recycling opportunities.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

We've used cardboard covered with Thompson's Water Sealant for our oil cooler ducting for several races now and it has held up really nicely.  I'm not sure how it would do on a larger scale like a front splitter though.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Papier-mache made with Fixall and painted with house paint lasts for quite a while.

11 (edited by Crab Spirits 2010-03-13 12:18 PM)

Refrigerator and fluorescent lamp fixtures. (Except bumper)
http://home.comcast.net/~movistar323/purp.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

haha, post the metro build-up on here.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Papier-mache made with Fixall and painted with house paint lasts for quite a while.

as in the cement patch fixall, or the sealant paint called fixall?

All aero on this car was done with previously damaged hoods, fenders and doors picked up as scrap at a local body shop, with the exception of the rear wing which was some sheet aluminum scrap that appeared to have been used to protect something during shipping (shipping labels were on it)  It was thin enough I thought it wouldn't be useable, but with plywood spars, the rear wing can be set to far too effective.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3253

We used surplus Boeing 777 airplane parts to make our wing. Once they've been superseded the old parts have to be sold for their scrap value which means you're paying for them by the pound. One of the advantages to living in Boeing's backyard.

drogers wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The concrete-patch Fixall. You mix the papier-mache with it instead of the usual wallpaper paste. Friend of mine used to make huge sculptures out of the stuff and they'd last quite a while outdoors. Not sure it will hold together on the race track, but only one way to find out!

MurileeMartin wrote:
drogers wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The concrete-patch Fixall. You mix the papier-mache with it instead of the usual wallpaper paste. Friend of mine used to make huge sculptures out of the stuff and they'd last quite a while outdoors. Not sure it will hold together on the race track, but only one way to find out!

Our sheet-and-wood-glue mâché wiener was decidedly not weather resistant at all (save for the seams we hot glued or covered in fiberglass resin), so a new 'medium' is always a welcome suggestion.   Now we just have to decide what to build that is awesome and not phallic (believe it or not, after 6 weeks of fabrication, penis jokes get a bit tired).

If you want "wing" sections, very thin ply or door skins work....glue up with a bullnose trim "leading edge" and shoot the cavity with expanding foam....strong and cheap...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Crab Spirits wrote:

Refrigerator and fluorescent lamp fixtures. (Except bumper)
http://home.comcast.net/~movistar323/purp.jpg

Metro widebody!!!  OMFG!!  Where are there more pictures??

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Fantastic! Gonna add the flush headlights for aero?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

The new and improved Aero Package on the Angry Hamster Z600 consists of plywood, thin aluminum sheet, pop rivets and foil tape. Our rear wing is carved from a solid piece of redwood liberated from the deck of one of our team members.
There are a few pictures on our facebook page.

Old growth technology all the way!

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

22 (edited by rockwood 2010-03-17 09:38 AM)

SuperDave wrote:

All aero on this car was done with previously damaged hoods, fenders and doors picked up as scrap at a local body shop, with the exception of the rear wing which was some sheet aluminum scrap that appeared to have been used to protect something during shipping (shipping labels were on it)  It was thin enough I thought it wouldn't be useable, but with plywood spars, the rear wing can be set to far too effective.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3253

Holy awesome!

I should have expanded more on the plywood:

Buy some 1/4" plywood and one of those fiberglass kits at the Big Orange High Performance Superstore (BOHPS, Home Depot) and combine.  Add some angle iron (also available at the BOHPS) for strategic stiffness, paint with ultra-gloss on the bottom and flat on the top (or ultra-gloss if you want to show off your crappy fiberglass patina) and you're set.  We've made them last through all kinds of crap in other race series with cars way too low for their own good.

I made the belly pan and splitter out of two pieces.  The belly pan was fiberglass reinforced, and the splitter wasn't.  This made the splitter more likely to break, and I always kept 2 spares - 1 for a template, and 1 to bring to the track.

Our rear spoiler is salvage road direction signs. It is all aluminum, light and strong, kinda sharp though.

Look for road construction that is completed or near completion - the road guys like the Lemons story and will usually give you some old signs or pieces that have damaged reflector.

Don't remove them from the post - if someone gets in an auto accident and you are linked to lifting the sign - you might get a night at the crowbar hotel.

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz