Re: This racing thing is expensive

doctawife wrote:

Another way to get the wife to stop complaining about racing: addict the wife to racing.

Tried that too.  Cost me double to race.  I ended up doing double the work on the car since she wouldn't get her hands dirty.  And then she turns around and makes it my fault that we are spending too much on racing and I'm not spending time with her.  If it weren't my life, I'd be laughing.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
doctawife wrote:

Another way to get the wife to stop complaining about racing: addict the wife to racing.

Tried that too.  Cost me double to race.  I ended up doing double the work on the car since she wouldn't get her hands dirty.  And then she turns around and makes it my fault that we are spending too much on racing and I'm not spending time with her.  If it weren't my life, I'd be laughing.

Oohh, that's evil.  If I hadn't displayed willingness to get dirty to work on the car, I wouldn't have gotten a seat on the team.  All of the fun, none of the work, twice the guilt.  She's a master, your wife.  Holy crap - what's your mother in law like?

Another scary number - try to total up both the cost and quantity of beer consumed in and around racing.  (I think my liver just ran away in fear.)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

My wife has been putting up with my racing for 20 years and has NO IDEA how much I spend. She would DIE if she knew!

I put the plasma cutter in my girlfriend's hands and let her have at it.  From the looks of it, she has some skills.  Our fins were crafted entirely by her and the plasma cutter.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

jmitch wrote:

My wife has been putting up with my racing for 20 years and has NO IDEA how much I spend.

ditto here.  but as long as bills get paid and the savings acct grows, i don't think she's too concerned about it.  except when we get 15" of snow while i'm away at a race and she gets stuck shoveling.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I've begged, borrowed, stripped the bank accounts just to pull off a race. I'm pretty lucky to have a wife who doesn't stab me when i walk in the door. I tell ya, she keeps trying though. I'm just glad I don't need to consult speedycop for kevlar outerwear yet. yes, yes, I'm completely addicted. I guess the bottom line is that I'm either going to do this, or go pro and race IMSA. Since I'm fat and don't know any Rogers or AJ's or Marios, It means I'll be seeing you guys in April. tongue

I just finished filling out the Sainthood application for my wife and am sending it out today.  I've got two racecars in the garage, one out in the shed, and my Lemons car is being stored at a friend's garage because I'm out of room.  Despite all of this, she still has no problem with me dragging home some parts car to dismantle in the driveway.
The only way my wife would be cooler was if she owned her own junkyard......and a liquor store.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

58 (edited by Richardnew 2010-02-20 12:20 PM)

The nice thing about our Camaro is it's real familiar with the local short tracks. We can run all day every Saturday for $10.00 at our local paved oval.

If we want to run with the sporty car guys we have to pay Chin Motorsports $300. Sports car people just have way too much money.

Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
Intervention Motorsports

59 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-02-21 05:42 PM)

I just finished filling out the Sainthood application for my wife and am sending it out today.  I've got two racecars in the garage, one out in the shed, and my Lemons car is being stored at a friend's garage because I'm out of room.  Despite all of this, she still has no problem with me dragging home some parts car to dismantle in the driveway.

So what paperwork do I need to fill out for my wife when I have four RX-7s (one runs), a running-but-needs-lots-of-work '69 Cadillac, a Suburban, Mustang, Honda, and then I drag home a crappy-looking Jaguar to make into a Lemons car? Mind you she's also asked if she needs to cook something when the guys show up to help work on the car. I'm guessing I need to start building her a halo and some wings.

Oh yeah, and she can't park in the garage because it's full of engines, transmissions, and suspension parts.

EriktheAwful wrote:

So what paperwork do I need to fill out for my wife when I have four RX-7s (one runs), a running-but-needs-lots-of-work '69 Cadillac, a Suburban, Mustang, Honda, and then I drag home a crappy-looking Jaguar to make into a Lemons car? Mind you she's also asked if she needs to cook something when the guys show up to help work on the car. I'm guessing I need to start building her a halo and some wings.

Oh yeah, and she can't park in the garage because it's full of engines, transmissions, and suspension parts.

She's positively ANGELIC. i think you need to figure out a way to clone her, and sell the clones off to racing addicts who got it bad.... AKA the rest of us.

We run on a don't ask, don't tell.  I bet between the two girls and the wife, there is more money in Coach and Vera Bradley stuff laying around then I will have in the 535 by the time it's done.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Modelwerks wrote:

We run on a don't ask, don't tell.  I bet between the two girls and the wife, there is more money in Coach and Vera Bradley stuff laying around then I will have in the 535 by the time it's done.

^^^+1 .. my wife has horses ... lots of horses. She spends her $$$, I spend mine...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Yeah, we've got a few horses too and I don't see what she's spending either. Don't ask, don't tell.
Bad news is she recently overheard a conversation with one of my teamatesand discovered our first race cost us over $900 ea. (5 guys). Oops!

Crazybob wrote:

/Rant
I know everyone says how expensive racing is, even at Lemons, but next time I'm going to pick up a hobby like lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills or something else more cost effective. If only I could be a normal person with normal interests. If only.
/EndRant

No this racing is CHEAP. Now don't go buying that $40K RV with $25K trailer to tow your $500 +$1500 Lemons car.

Look at it this way, you go drive an scca or Nasa car, you'll drop from $5K to ??? $150K for the car, maybe getting a few spares and if your lucky a flatbed trailer with a tire rack. Then you need the same drivers gear, well maybe a little better, because you have to look good, not just drive good. AND you get what 20 minutes of track time for warm up, 20 minutes for qualifying and a 20-40 minute race? 96 to 110 gas is $7-20 a gallon, and you change the oil in your race motor every weekend, right? Race slicks are what $200 each?

now Lemons: Lets see. $500 car, roll cage, seat, seat belt (maybe 2 sets for track days), two sets of wheels, tires for 2 sets, brake pads and spares, video camera, welding set, trailer, tools, extra JY parts = $2500 plus gas and other stuff for the weekend DIVIDED by 4 = $800 maybe

And you'll have more track time in a Lemons car in one track day (testing), not to mention in one weekend, than a whole year of scca or nasa.

Cheap, and let the wifey see how calm you are for the next week or two after you've burned off all that excess testosterone.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

jmitch wrote:

My wife has been putting up with my racing for 20 years and has NO IDEA how much I spend. She would DIE if she knew!

I would die if she knew!!

Dr. No-Disturbed Brilliant Mind behind the "take no prisoners" 007 Jaguar

Dr. No wrote:
jmitch wrote:

I would die if she knew!!

Apparently jmitch will defend himself and Dr. No won't. big_smile

You know what else? Racing is cheap compared to cheatin on your wife, look at Tiger and Jesse James.........

Lemonious Monk wrote:

The only way my wife would be cooler was if she owned her own junkyard......and a liquor store.

+1

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

sergio wrote:

You know what else? Racing is cheap compared to cheatin on your wife, look at Tiger and Jesse James.........

Its all about perspective.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Richardnew wrote:

The nice thing about our Camaro is it's real familiar with the local short tracks. We can run all day every Saturday for $10.00 at our local paved oval.

If we want to run with the sporty car guys we have to pay Chin Motorsports $300. Sports car people just have way too much money.

Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
Intervention Motorsports

florida oval?

which one(s)?

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.