Re: I would love to race, but I am scared...

use something like searchtempest.com which will let you search multiple cities at once and set the price limit at $1000 and go

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Here is my simple method.  Look in Cars+trucks, leave the search line blank and then enter $2 for the minimum price and $1000 for the maximum price.  Check only the "has photo" box, but leave the "only search titles" box unchecked.  THAT'S IT!

The $2 minimum eliminates the no price ads and the useless $1 price that many people use.  The $1000 top limit allows extra room for interesting cars to show up.  There is always negotiation room and stuff you can sell off to reach your goals, so don't stick to a $500 max.  I don't bother with ads that don't have photos.  I know I'm missing out on many potential cars, but if the seller is too lazy or too stupid to post a photo, I don't want to deal with them anyways.  It also makes it easy to rule out pure parts cars or to spot a gem that the seller might have underpriced.  Take the Celica, for example.  That car simply doesn't exist in the rust belt.  It has been at least 15-20 years since I've seen one on the road or for sale, yet the photo makes the Alabama car look very good.  Had that ad not included a photo, I would have assumed it was much worse than it appears to be and would have likely skipped it.  $800 for that car is simply too cheap IMHO.  It might be junk, but it sure *looks* good from what I can see.  Too nice for Lemons if it's really as advertized.

You can also try searchtempest.  It is a site that allows you to search CL ads in multiple areas at once and has more search features.  I use that when I'm looking for a specific vehicle and I'm willing to travel to get it.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I've always thought that the words "parked" (as in "ran when parked"), "rare" and "must" (as in "must sell") to be good words to search for when looking for a Lemons car. Or you could just do what we did and search for "Peugeot" and likely hit on the other three words at the same time :-).

As a community, I think we may openly share a little to much LeMons-ectual property to the newbies.

They are missing out on all sorts of mental anguish and suffering.

A Powerstroke in a Prelude would be nuts!  No idea it the car can structurally take that kind of load or even stop the thing.

Getting into the race in New Orleans should not be that much trouble.  It's turn out for May is lower than I expected.  The track has a great paddock.

The track surface is rough and eats tires.

Hotels are not so convenient so track side camping is definitely the way to go.

Aside from fast food, there are not a lot of convenient restaurant options either.

Getting through tech, roll cage issues are a common and difficult to resolve quickly on site, especially at No Problem.  You really want everything right.  There are auto parts store close to the track and that's about it.

Good luck.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

30 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-04-07 11:37 AM)

You know finding a car is really not all that hard, getting in the event you have targeted will probably be OK too, what comes as a shock is how much $$$$ the initial build /entry / some spares / tires / incidentals are. 

If you and your team haven't budgeted about $5K or AT LEAST $4k for your first time out, then you are in for a real eye opener.  Each event does get cheaper, but the initial acquisition of the car, the build-out and the actual race gets costly.  When I read about "a baby coming" and "college" in your OP, I was wondering if you realized how expensive Lemons can be - esepically the first event. 

I know people have done it cheaper, but not a LOT cheaper than $4K, though I could be wrong, I just don't  think you can find, build, equip, enter and race a decent and reliable car for "a couple of grand". 

Just count the cost.  There are a lot of threads in this section you really need to read to get a grasp of the event.  Good luck!!

We were in the same boat as the OP and we just waited to start building the car til we were accepted.  It also didn't hurt that a good amount of our stuff was borrowed from another race car.  It seems to me that no team that really tries gets denied.  It's the teams that don't have their shit together that don't make it.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

If you guys can do all the prep work yourselves you can do it pretty cheap. New brake pads and bleeding the brakes with new high temp fluid is cheap and will help keep you on track. Ford brake fluid or Wilwood 570 is cheap. If you can weld the cage yourselves (make SURE to follow the rules to the letter here) you can get a 4 point ERW cage for dirt track racing (from Day motorsports I think) complete with gussets and nascar type door bars, already fitted and coped for around $300 to $350. Get a few more pieces of ERW for a diagonal and two rear supports and you might be able to do the cage for real cheap. My father and I did this on a Volvo. He's also a highly experienced welder and racer. race gasoline and towing gasoline are fixed expenses and vary depending on any number of things. I think for a 14 hours Lemons race you can probably figure around $400 in race fuel. Lemons might not require a racing seat but you can get a plastic dragster seat model G1100 or G2100 from summit racing for $50 to $60 shipping included. For another $15 you can get a padded seat cover. Again did this on a Volvo. You can get a good 5 point harness for less than $100 most places. A good kill switch with alternator protection (make sure you wire it up for alternator protection) will cost you $50 max. If you can get your race tires used you can sometimes get a deal. But if you picked up two sets new race tires you could probably do so for less than $600 shipping included. Look at Vulcan tire, tires easy and tire rack. An extra set of wheels at a local PickNPull shouldn't cost you more than $100. If you're frugal and good at race car prep you probably won't need to spend 4k to 5k on the car. If you need all of the incidentals for the whole team it could get close to that. You may need to buy a transponder at about $400 (or just rent one for your first race). Personal driver safety gear can cost you a few bucks. But search like crazy for deals on ebay and closeouts at regular online racing shops. you can modify regular 5 gallon fuel cans that you buy for $12 a piece at walmart but a good idea is to just buy 4 scribner fuel jugs from saferacer (with fill tubes) for about $130 with shipping. I raced with Brian Pollock of property devaluation racing at Nelson Ledges last year and he put together a highly competitive car for way less than 4k to 5k. He knows even more than me about keeping costs down and he's a real good fella. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you advice. He posts as BTP76. I can get you in touch with him if you like. If I can help you in any way my email is Radarjocky@aol.com. Hope to see you on track.

Dont worry mate. Just get a piece of shit car. Build the roll cage and do all the other safety stuff. Fill out the application and make it sound good. If you have the entry fee money and dont sound like a goober to Jay you should get into the new orleans race. Put the car on a trailer, or drive it down here. Pick up a bunch of beer and some Motrin on the way. Bring some extra roll bar tubing, if your car dont pass inspection we will fix it for you Friday night before the race. Trust me, you will have a good time.

Bring some friends, probably have room for 100 cars or so on the track, have less than 50 for the race in May.

I'm with Rob.  That Vega would be awesome!!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

35 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-04-07 04:46 PM)

comfychair,

When I mentioned $4-$5K, that INCLUDES the $1K entry (car, drivers, transponder), gas for race car and tow/personal car - the cost from buying the car, building it out, entering, racing, eating, lodging and towing it home, the ENTIRE cost for the whole experience, not JUST the car.

MOST people do almost all their work (all we "subbed out" was the cage $950 and the alignment), all else we did.  Even skimping as much as we could our entire expense for our first event was around $4,300. 

When you read the threads on here, about a teams very first event, $3500 - $5,000 seems to be the range for 90% of the teams.  This is not just the car but everything.

ifb_mole wrote:

comfychair,

When I mentioned $4-$5K, that INCLUDES the $1K entry (car, drivers, transponder), gas for race car and tow/personal car - the cost from buying the car, building it out, entering, racing, eating, lodging and towing it home, the ENTIRE cost for the whole experience, not JUST the car.

MOST people do almost all their work (all we "subbed out" was the cage $950 and the alignment), all else we did.  Even skimping as much as we could our entire expense for our first event was around $4,300. 

When you read the threads on here, about a teams very first event, $3500 - $5,000 seems to be the range for 90% of the teams.  This is not just the car but everything.

I would be VERY skeptical of a "team" that could put on a race weekend including build a NEW car for less than $3k....I just don't think it can be done....

WHY you ask.....BEEN THERE DONE THAT.....

When "we" built the 928 Estate....there was SUBSTANTIAL help in terms of free labor that most teams can't expect......  For example the cage (all 7 points) would be around $1500 minimum at any race shop....its was MUCH less than that...not to count the HUNDREDS of hours of labor to get the car ready-theme etc..not counting little expenses like spray paint, welding materials, brake clean etc....this adds up VERY quickly...  Even with the SUBSTANTIAL deals I got it still cost $3900 to complete (almost anyway) the 1st race......  Yes they get cheaper after that....but if you plan on racing a serious gas guzzler yank tank..it could cost $1k just in fuel...especially if your "stock" engine requires 100+ octane...

Our 2nd race was right at $3600

My $3900 figure DID NOT include room and board for all the drivers...everyone paid for their own...  OR drivers safety equipment.... 

I think a $5k budget for a 1st time event is a good idea...if you are extremely frugal + lucky...when its over you can give all the drivers a REFUND...vs a bill

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

YesIFit wrote:

Also .. you could buy the car and come up with a theme, but not work on it until you get accepted. If you don't get accepted, just sell the car. If you do, 10 weeks is plenty of time to build a car.

Um.... yeah... 10 weeks... plenty of time... sad

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

The breakdown for a Volvo 244DL that we built for a full 24 hour race for "that other series" is more or less as follows (That other series has almost the same rules for car prep as the Lemons event you guys are prepping for):

$100 1989 Volvo 244 DL with 300k miles, not road worthy, good engine and tranny
$60    seat and seat cover new including shipping
$10    grade 8 hardware for mounting seat (buy grade 8 by the pound at Tractor Supply)
$200  brake work, new fronts plus extra pads, spare used calipers and master cylinder
$100  spare parts for race, used fuel injection computer, radiator, tie rod ends
$100  parts for suspension repairs and drive train repairs to make it roadworthy + water pump
$600  for two sets of new 14" tires including shipping
$40    for a spare set of  14" wheels
$80    5pt harness
$20    roll cage padding
$300  ERW cage kit shipped, self installed, racepartsusa.com has these kits.
$30    extra ERW for finishing cage
$45    FIA kill switch with alternator protection
$20    driving lights kit from Wal Mart
$100  estimate for little extra crap like, spray paint, duct tape, bolts, rivets, liquid nails etc...
$20    windown net
$60    consumable fluids, motor oil, diff oil, clutch oil
$100  estimated towing fuel, the race is only a 3 hour tow one way
$400  estimated racing fuel, around 1200 to 1400 miles including practice at around 10 mpg

TOTAL $3085

A new team might need to add $50 to rent a transponder and $50 per driver for racing licenses. But I'm sure there are guys who could do the same thing I did for less money. Although probably not much less. In some cases it will cost more. Anyhow these are some of the main expenses.

comfychair wrote:

The breakdown for a Volvo 244DL that we built for a full 24 hour race for "that other series" is more or less as follows (That other series has almost the same rules for car prep as the Lemons event you guys are prepping for):

$100 1989 Volvo 244 DL with 300k miles, not road worthy, good engine and tranny
$60    seat and seat cover new including shipping
$10    grade 8 hardware for mounting seat (buy grade 8 by the pound at Tractor Supply)
$200  brake work, new fronts plus extra pads, spare used calipers and master cylinder
$100  spare parts for race, used fuel injection computer, radiator, tie rod ends
$100  parts for suspension repairs and drive train repairs to make it roadworthy + water pump
$600  for two sets of new 14" tires including shipping
$40    for a spare set of  14" wheels
$80    5pt harness
$20    roll cage padding
$300  ERW cage kit shipped, self installed, racepartsusa.com has these kits.
$30    extra ERW for finishing cage
$45    FIA kill switch with alternator protection
$20    driving lights kit from Wal Mart
$100  estimate for little extra crap like, spray paint, duct tape, bolts, rivets, liquid nails etc...
$20    windown net
$60    consumable fluids, motor oil, diff oil, clutch oil
$100  estimated towing fuel, the race is only a 3 hour tow one way
$400  estimated racing fuel, around 1200 to 1400 miles including practice at around 10 mpg

TOTAL $3085

A new team might need to add $50 to rent a transponder and $50 per driver for racing licenses. But I'm sure there are guys who could do the same thing I did for less money. Although probably not much less. In some cases it will cost more. Anyhow these are some of the main expenses.

what about entry fee for car and drivers?

This is why I didn't major in accounting. If you add up the numbers as I wrote them down I think they are actually $2185. Not the $3085 I have listed as the total. That's because I forgot to list the $900 entry fee. If you add the $900 entry fee to the itemized list it should still total $3085. Thanks, my bad.

41 (edited by RobL 2010-04-13 06:17 AM)

IgnoranteWest wrote:
YesIFit wrote:

Also .. you could buy the car and come up with a theme, but not work on it until you get accepted. If you don't get accepted, just sell the car. If you do, 10 weeks is plenty of time to build a car.

Um.... yeah... 10 weeks... plenty of time... sad

If you can't get the car done in 10 weeks how are you going to do that motor swap during the race in 3 hours?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

comfychair wrote:

This is why I didn't major in accounting. If you add up the numbers as I wrote them down I think they are actually $2185. Not the $3085 I have listed as the total. That's because I forgot to list the $900 entry fee. If you add the $900 entry fee to the itemized list it should still total $3085. Thanks, my bad.

That is the most optimistic (unrealistic) budget I have ever seen.  I could argue with most every line in it, not to mention the issues you will find with a $100 car to begin with.   If you're a noob, plan $4,000 for your first race, minimum.   If you do things right and don't go cheap on risky things like a $60 seat! or $80 5 FIA point harnesses (show me where you find these), it could cost you $4500 or more.  Your second race will likely be significantly lower in costs. 

If you really do your first race for 3K, I would wager money the car won't last an hour.  maybe you get lucky, but the odds are stacked very high against you.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I would say plan $5K and hope to give the drivers a refund afterwards.

Don't skimp on cage - the rules allow a fair amount of flexibility, but nothing beats a professionally made DOM cage. Or other safety items - better to go a little rich on this stuff than not.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

k.hollon wrote:

I am really scared of prepping the car and not being accepted.
Thanks

The out of work guy can do more leg work and more work on the car. Lemons is about NOT Spending money and finishing. So aim for that.

Get the wives to support you with dinners and track support, its a great way to get everyone together for some group events, build a team deeper than just 4 drivers.

This forum is here to help people like you.

Ask your questions. Any question, like:

Where to get a cheap legal roll cage made
Can you weld it your self
Cheap racing seats (see craigslist Los Angeles for a pair of cheap used sparco seats)
seat adjust-ability? (someone just recomended Volvo sliders)

Seat back attachment to roll cage
seat belt age
seat belt routing

How to get free tires and brake pads
Cheap drivers gear - rules and regs for drivers gear

net cost for a weekend

Tools to bring

Good car choices (see the previous suggestions, but leave that Toyota Celica alone, its in too nice condition).

Start asking your questions and answers will be provided.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

some things are NOT WORTH being "frugal" on....safety equipment is the biggest one...  we run ONLY top of the line safety equipment...Racetech halo seat, Schroth 6 point harness, HANS, .....why....I would rather skip a race to fund better safety equipment than go out there and put myself or my drivers at risk with anything but the best.....  I can always replace a car.....

However that is just my opinion....if you feel comfortable running "less"...then go for it...

There is a VERY good reason these things are considered "free"....why because the fun police (lawyers) said so...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2