Re: Thoughts on doing a Datsun Roadster

mikespeed95 wrote:

Pro Tip:
   The accellerator pedal has "linear" control, meaning it is not an on/off switch.  If you treat it as so coming out of a corner, even a purpose built drift car can and does hook up.

If your car has that much power, it's not a real lemon! Seriously, though, until we get the ghettocharger installed - our throttle is binary. One day though.

AnotherFilthyDriver wrote:

As for being small and so called slow, I've caught Lambos, 500 hp Mustangs and other assorted fast stuff on the track. Unless you are out to play bumper cars (and the looks of your car whether it be covered in dents, or with cones, chickens, or rabbits welded to the top of it will tell me to steer clear of you because you can't drive) there won't be an issue.

Will

...and???

Hampster wrote:

They are faster than I am so I will make up for that with a bit of bravery.

If you are willing to wad your car up, then I have no doubt that you can faster than many of the cars on a given track day.  Since most of the people who frequent track days do so in a car they want to keep, they take it real easy in anything that might get them into a wall.  And, as an instructor, I encourage that type of reservation on the track. 

BTW - In Lemons, you will never be able to steer clear of all the cars that are dented, coned, chickened, or rabbited.  Learn to deal with it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Zachreligious wrote:
mikespeed95 wrote:

Pro Tip:
   The accellerator pedal has "linear" control, meaning it is not an on/off switch.  If you treat it as so coming out of a corner, even a purpose built drift car can and does hook up.

If your car has that much power, it's not a real lemon! Seriously, though, until we get the ghettocharger installed - our throttle is binary. One day though.

P71 - Trust me, it has that much power and only cost $500.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

My personal roadster is far from a Lemons car. I've spent about $25K on it over the past 8 years. Yes the throttle is linear, and I have to use lots of care to exit a corner quickly. My point was more along the lines of no one needs an SR20DET in a roadster for any reason, you can't use the power.

As for my statement being full of BS, here is a statement from a friend of mine who vintage races one that has less engine and suspension work than mine. Oh yeah he used to race Formula Atlantic, as well as some other big name series. And I quote:

"That is one of the things I love about the Roadsters. It takes about 100K of car for other drivers to beat it..." A statement made about his own car. He runs a 1:49 at Laguna Seca in his. This is from someone who has raced Shelby GT350s, GT500s, 427 Cobras ect.

That said, I bet a stock roadster with a U20, SUs and a B cam would go pretty well and be just fine on the course filled with rolling chicanes. A driver can go a long way without hitting another, we made it through the T-hill race with only 1 contact, and that was so light both drivers denied the contact. Sometimes things happen and you have no place to go, thats racing. I'd take my chances in a fully caged roadster over a Geo Metro or old civic any day of the week. The frames are way over built, as long as the cage is welded to the frame, there will be no problem. The brakes are fantastic out of the box (with real race pads on them) the car is nimble, enough straight line speed and is very quick through the corners. As long as the engine is healthy, it won't have any reliability issues either.

I think a roadster would make a bitchin Lemons car. There are enough that pop up as major projects on Craigslist ect for under $1k that it could be done, and done well. It might not look pretty but it could get the job done and turn some heads doing it.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)
1969 Datsun 2000 (race car, current daily driver)

"My point was more along the lines of no one needs an SR20DET in a roadster for any reason, I can't use the power."

Here, I fixed that for you.

"That is one of the things I love about the Roadsters. It takes about 100K of car for other drivers to beat it..." A statement made about his own car. He runs a 1:49 at Laguna Seca in his. This is from someone who has raced Shelby GT350s, GT500s, 427 Cobras ect."

You clearly have spent too much time with people who are racing vintage cars.  I know it's hard to believe but there have been quite a few advancements in suspension and engine technology since they designed the Datsun Roadster although leaf springs do continue to be used on ox carts all over India.  I would venture to say there are quite a few cars that cost under $10000 that would leave any stock engined Roadster in the dust on any track using comparable tires.

"That said, I bet a stock roadster with a U20, SUs and a B cam would go pretty well and be just fine on the course filled with rolling chicanes."

I say bring one.  You can blow by all those pokey BMW's, V8 Volvos, and such.

I think a roadster would make a bitchin Lemons car. There are enough that pop up as major projects on Craigslist ect for under $1k that it could be done, and done well. It might not look pretty but it could get the job done and turn some heads doing it.

They have a trophy for that kind of car.  It's called the IOE.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

The MustangIInicorn car had a N/A 2.3 and was running on TWO cylinders.  At MSR in 3rd gear once the rear suspension was unloaded guess what....wheelspin.  And the car would not accelerate in 3rd gear.

Saying "My car will spin the wheels on a road course coming out of xxx corner" is the same statement as "My car has drive wheels"

A Tire only has so much adhesion, you can exceed those limits laterally, and wha'la, wheelspin.  The power is irrelevant.  Even with a Lemons car, if you're flooring it all the time everywhere you've probably got a lot left in the car you're not using.

Also our $400 brat drifts in 3rd gear with some effort, and if we really wanted to nickel/dime all the stuff we sold the car probably has a 2-digit total investment. 

Enough with the bench racing, OP any decisions on Lemons Roadster?

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Kent,

Thanks for the complements. We will have to do a track day with the roadsters at some point. What car are you racing Lemons in? There are a couple vintage guys who have shown interest in doing a roadster, the trouble is only two of use are in the bay area, one is in San Diego, and none of us have time to build a car.

As for my being the ultimate Datsun roadster anti-engine swap person, yeah, I'm guilty as charged. I don't like defacing a rare car. The only way I'd build a Lemons roadster is if I found one that was totally beaten and the body only had one place left in the world, the scrap yard. (As in way too far gone to rebuild.) The frames are pretty hardy, so, when the Lemons car is retired, another body could be sourced to replace the mess that the Lemons car would be.

As far as hanging around too many vintage racers, well, the whole reason for me racing Lemons is to get seat time so I can go race vintage. Yes, modern cars have IRS and disks at all four corners, big deal. There are still a few that use leaf springs and rear drum brakes as well (they tend to be American). Yet some how, those get put in the fast category even if they really aren't that fast.

Now, if you want to put a Chevy V8 in your Volvo, have fun. If you want to put a Ford V8 in your Volvo, again, have fun. Heck if you want to put a Mazda 20B in your Miata, that might actually get my attention, but it better be turbo charged. However sticking a RB26DET in a Mustang would have me looking for the Skyline that the RB came out of (who cares about the mustang.) I don't like opening the hood of a vintage car and seeing something modern in there (In the case of American V8 powered cars, it doesn't matter, its still more or less the same engine, just with more mess attached to it.) They look the same and sound the same. If you are swapping an engine into a modern commonly seen what ever, have fun, there are millions more like it. In the case of the roadster specifically, stop and think; when was the last time you saw one on the street? The registry only has 1909 cars listed, and that is world wide. Sure there are lots that are "unknown" but the total number is still likely less than 3000. Thats all the 1500s, 1600s and 2000s combined. My point is, don't ruin an uncommon/rare car for the people who will get it after you. A vintage car is just that, vintage. If you want a modern car, buy a modern car, don't take a vintage one and try to make it modern, it just ruins the car for someone else when you are done with it.

Back to the lack of size, well, its pretty much the same size as a Miata, early MR2, MGB, Honda Civic, Fiat, or Alfa Spider or a BMW 2002. I see an awful lot of Miatas and civics running around at Lemons races. Size is not an issue.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)

Damn!! I just searched "Datsun" to see what people would think about running a Datsun Roadster for Lemons...and lo and behold, I come across this!!
Well, the reason I was searching is because we just picked one up with the intention of doing just that!!
Got it from a tow yard down in Salinas, CA. Looks like crap and there's a bit of work to get it running but its pretty much all there.
Some previous owner had already stuck a 60 deg V6 in it. I'm sure the 60deg will put us down on power, but I think that's probably a good thing for us to start off.
Its not running, so don't really know if there's anything else done to it. Need an oil pan first off!! Its still in the back of the trailer, so haven't had a change to give it a good look over yet. No info from the tow guys either, every question was responded to with a shrug of the shoulders, which is understandable. They just wanted rid of it before the wrecker yard they have a contract with came and got it.

Going to take us a while to get this thing ready. We're not exactly blessed with a lot of equipment or space to build this thing (still working outta my 1 car garage!!), but fortunate to have sufficient amount of friends with the right things we need. Luckily they find this Lemons racing funny enough that a few beers and some laughs pays for the help they provide!!  And, by God, we're going to need it on this one!

Does seem someone has tried this before a couple of years ago, with a 4.3 V6.

http://jalopnik.com/5058444/notorious-m … h-a-datsun

Anyone any idea how that one went?

I'll get some pics on here to show progress. Seems like some of you guys may have a lot of knowledge on the roadster. Be ok to hit you all up with some questions if we run into problems? (replace 'if' with 'when'!!).

No, don't think its ever going to win, but I would say it'll be fun, and you never know...potential IOE contender!!

Anyway, first post for me, talk to you all again.

Cheers
Seamus

Hey Seamus, check out www.311s.org There is more info there than you will ever want to know. There is also a very active forum on there. I'm SLOroadster over there. My first thought on the V6 is cooling, 2nd is transmission. I've seen SR20 powered roadsters puking their guts out all over the paddock at Thunderhill at a track day in July (big mess, all I could do is laugh). The stock engines if healthy will run where they should all day long even with the stock radiator. I don't know how well a V6 will cool in there. The exhaust will likely burn your feet. Even with ceramic coated headers, I've melted my shoe on the transmission tunnel. The transmission is your other issue. What one is in there? The stock 5 spd is a very good transmission, the smoothest shifting one I have ever felt. It does have two possible issues however. The first is a press fit 5th gear. When this one lets go, you end up with 5th gear acting like you are in neutral, and the other issue also involves 5th. On some boxes, the mainshaft nuts come loose and you loose both 5th and reverse. This one is a ticking time bomb. The just neutral 5th is not a big deal, you can safely race on the other 4 gears. The 5th/reverse however has floating gears just waiting to jam and explode.

The stock suspension is pretty good, you want to keep the stock rear springs (better yet find some stock '66 rear springs, they have a better spring rate) and a set of comp springs for the front. You might be able to just cut a coil, but it might blow your front roll center. The brakes are great if you get some race pads and shoes for the rear. If your ball joints are bad, well... you are looking at $450 for each new one, upper and lower. Used ones can be found sometimes. The rear end is a solid unit. They rarely have issues (but I have had one spiral fracture the axle housing. Not sure how or why.) The brake master cylinder is also stupid $$$. They don't seem to go bad often however. There is a brake brace that you should pick up that will reinforce the fire wall where the master cylinder mounts. Almost all the 67.5 and later cars crack here. The brace moves the pedal load onto the mounting flange for the steering column.

If you want' shoot me a PM with your email and we can talk off forum.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

Just run a twin-radiator setup.  What could go wrong?

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

MELTED YOUR SHOES!! Yikes! An August race in Thunderhill could be interesting in this then!! I've seen posts for homemade cool shirts.....anyone done cool socks!!

Will,
thanks for the info...plenty for us to digest in there. Appreciate the offer of advice, I'll take you up on that and PM you on here and fill you in on the current set up.

This was a bit of a case of the "buy first, think later" gene kicking in here. Could be some serious dangerous home made technology brought into play here!!

Thanks again
Seamus

Capt Plaid wrote:

MELTED YOUR SHOES!! Yikes! An August race in Thunderhill could be interesting in this then!! I've seen posts for homemade cool shirts.....anyone done cool socks!!

Will,
thanks for the info...plenty for us to digest in there. Appreciate the offer of advice, I'll take you up on that and PM you on here and fill you in on the current set up.

This was a bit of a case of the "buy first, think later" gene kicking in here. Could be some serious dangerous home made technology brought into play here!!

Thanks again
Seamus

No problem. Yeah I melted my shoe on the transmission tunnel. I had a laser thermometer with me and I pointed it at the floor boards, 198 degrees. Talk about having a hot foot. This was on I5 on the way home from the Mt Shasta all Datsun meet in July of 06. The engine temp gauge was sitting at 180 however. The JET HOT coating on my headers changed from bright shiny silver to multicolored grey indicating that the EGT was beyond 1300 degrees. That kinda tells you why the floor boards were that hot (since the exhaust runs through the frame just under the floorboards in that area.) That trip home was miserable. I got cooked by the sun and the car. Floor mats help some.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

Seamus,

Keep us up 2 date on your progress.  Remember, this isn't vintage racing, it's Lemons.  A completely outrageous engine/tranny setup with a great theme FTW!!!  Maybe some kind of grill master theme for the tranny tunnel?

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

Making it a Lemons car isn't hard, just put anything other than a U,R or G series engine in it and its a Lemons car no matter how nice it looks. A ghetto charged Miata engine would work well. The transmission even comes through the stock hole in the tunnel. I think the Miata engine is also pretty light.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935