Re: Sweet baby jesus $260 complete coil over kits

WINWAR wrote:
oneday wrote:

Sticking with stock suspension in the Miata is great if you are keeping the car stock weight....but when you gut the thing and lose 200+lbs then you get monster truck ride height and massive amounts of body roll (e.g.: Our Miata at the VIR event). Cutting springs will be our budget suspension "upgrade" for the car's next outing (if we can solve the oil issue).

Right but then you have to add the cages weight in there. Not sure what it is but I'm sure it brings you back up pretty close to that 200 you took out.

It's close, but combing the stock length springs with old, tired/blown shock you get terrible body roll and a higher than stock ride height.

Note the height...even with all the down force from the wing.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs217.snc1/8420_1140360634456_1390626037_30444819_5103991_n.jpg

And here with all our safety gear as we rolled through tech...no wheel gap there...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs237.snc1/8420_1140355314323_1390626037_30444738_2699839_n.jpg

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

WINWAR wrote:
oneday wrote:

Sticking with stock suspension in the Miata is great if you are keeping the car stock weight....but when you gut the thing and lose 200+lbs then you get monster truck ride height and massive amounts of body roll (e.g.: Our Miata at the VIR event). Cutting springs will be our budget suspension "upgrade" for the car's next outing (if we can solve the oil issue).

Right but then you have to add the cages weight in there. Not sure what it is but I'm sure it brings you back up pretty close to that 200 you took out.

depends on the size of the car. we added a cener bar in the halo, x-bars on the back stays, and an extra bar behind the seat for the scissor jack/back seat brace.  total cage wieght is about 100 lbs.

Miata cage of 1.5" tubing would be less than 90#.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

29 (edited by ohaythair 2010-06-11 02:03 PM)

forddragracer wrote:
WINWAR wrote:
oneday wrote:

depends on the size of the car. we added a cener bar in the halo, x-bars on the back stays, and an extra bar behind the seat for the scissor jack/back seat brace.  total cage wieght is about 100 lbs.

1.75" x .095" mild steel tubing is about 1.68 lbs/ft, then add in say 5 pounds for base plates and welds.  I bet you've got a lot more than 57ft in tubing, our basic(but well designed and implemented) civic cage has a guesstimate of 73 ft of tubing(I'll try to get an accurate number next time I'm around the car), that puts it at 127 lbs.

RobL wrote:

Miata cage of 1.5" tubing would be less than 90#.

1.50" x .120"(per Lemons rules) is actually heavier than 1.75" x .095" tubing, I doubt you could cage a Miata in 48 ft.