Re: what oil are you guys using?

Mulry wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

I was at Lemans this weekend, and was actually in the porsche curve when the vette ran off the road.  It was his fault.  Now I was a guest of the peugeot team so I am biased.

Although I didn't have the pleasure of being there in person, I've only watched the replay about 50 times. There was no excuse for Peugeot driver Davidson pulling that stunt there, especially against a GT class car. If it had been another P1 or even a P2 car that had serious downforce, then it would have been a different story (witness McNish's pass in the Porsche curves of a P2 car about an hour later). But in this situation, it was foolish and unnecessary and portended the karmic failure of his car later in the race.

Not to mention that the Corvette was leading its class at the time and this put them out of the race (eventually). It was a crap move.

The coolest part was being in the Peugeot pit at midnight when they were doing the driver change.  That was just amazing.  I feel very fortunate to have had the experience.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

RogueLeader wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Now I'm not saying that they weren't using Mobil 1 (although race cars using oil other than that which sponsors them is not particularly uncommon), but it did seem a little odd that they weren't pouring the oil out of Mobil 1 containers...

More than likely they get 55 gallon drums of the stuff in the race shop and just fill up pre-sized containers for events.  Lot easier to store that and pour it into the car than to crack open the little 1qt bottles and pour it one at a time.

This. You can order 55 gallon drums of most fluids through NAPA, ffs.

Yeah, they could've stuck stickers on the containers, but Mobil was probably paying for specific logo placement rights and likely decided not to spend money on something that would get them exposure to nothing but the most pedantic fans.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

This. You can order 55 gallon drums of most fluids through NAPA, ffs.

Yeah, they could've stuck stickers on the containers, but Mobil was probably paying for specific logo placement rights and likely decided not to spend money on something that would get them exposure to nothing but the most pedantic fans.

Could be. But even if that's not the case, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time that somebody put Red Line oil in a car covered with, say, Pennzoil stickers.

I bet it was cool to be in the pit for the driver changes. Hell, I felt privileged just to be able to watch the Corvette team go to work ripping apart the back end of that car and putting it back together on TV.

One funny thing was that one of the Corvette drivers jumped right into the fray and was helping the techs and engineers with prying off the busted up body parts off the back of that car and the commentators were just stunned that a driver "at this level" would show such esprit de corps.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

One funny thing was that one of the Corvette drivers jumped right into the fray and was helping the techs and engineers with prying off the busted up body parts off the back of that car and the commentators were just stunned that a driver "at this level" would show such esprit de corps.

Yeah, I caught that too. My thoughts on the matter are:

That's the coolest thing I've ever seen and I *TOTALLY* want to do it. Why the hell would a race driver be expected to respond differently any different?"

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear