Re: paddock and where to put the RV's at Summit?

Updated original image with Main Gate. Shift-reload as necessary:

http://armitage.crinkle.net/misc/shen.jpg

RobL wrote:

Stafford - 60 cars on .5 miles
CMP 120 cars on 1 mile
Nelson Ledges 122 cars on 2.0 miles

Summit 86 cars on 2.2 miles - plenty of room.

We had a max of 75 on track on 2.5 miles at Eagles Canyon a couple of weekends ago and at times I swear it felt more like a track lapping day than a Lemons race. I was surprised at all the space between the cars.

IOW, it won't feel very crowded out there, I suspect.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We had what 120-130 at lamest day.... it felt crowded, this should be OK as long as there is nothing pinching down the line.  The karoussel might be interesting since it seems there is only 1 passable lane, going up top would drop a ton of speed, should be fun!

They paved the inside of the karussel as well so there's a 3rd line. I'm have my doubts whether they'll even use that section of track or just open the cut-off at the top of the bridge hill.

rushman wrote:

We had what 120-130 at lamest day.... it felt crowded, this should be OK as long as there is nothing pinching down the line.  The karoussel might be interesting since it seems there is only 1 passable lane, going up top would drop a ton of speed, should be fun!

Lamest Day felt crowded to you?  After two CMP races, it was heaven to us!

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Wasn't bumper to bumper but you were never out in the open either.  figure 2 miles /130 cars = about 80 ft per car.

summit will much better with only 86 :-)

rushman wrote:

Wasn't bumper to bumper but you were never out in the open either.  figure 2 miles /130 cars = about 80 ft per car.

summit will much better with only 86 :-)

Nelson was narrower too so if two slow cars ran side by side, you couldn't get around.  This track, I imagine, will feel like that.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

33 (edited by woodym3 2010-06-17 02:22 PM)

Armitage wrote:

86 cars * .5 failure rate / 2.2 mile track = plenty of space to party. The tiny paddock notwithstanding, Shenandoah is my favorite track to drive on smile

If they cut out the Carousel and pit straight in front of the classroom building, it will be a bit less than 2 miles.  Still not as crowded as Nelson Ledges.

Ok Ok.. I'm going to publically eat all of my words now.

It turns out that there was plenty of room (relatively) for everyone, and the facilities turned out to be quite good for a racetrack.  Getting there Friday at 7:00 AM left us plenty of available spots, and no line to speak of. 

Good call by the race organizers and thanks for a great weekend.  Lets to Shenandoah again, its a really fun track and the racing was great.... better than it would have been on main where the speeds are higher and hence can't race as close.

rushman wrote:

The karoussel might be interesting since it seems there is only 1 passable lane, going up top would drop a ton of speed, should be fun!

It turns out that if you have a good handling car, and a slow person in the Karoussel, you can  get by on the inside.  You can make it work but you have to handle good and be passing a real stinker.

bikesandcars wrote:
rushman wrote:

The karoussel might be interesting since it seems there is only 1 passable lane, going up top would drop a ton of speed, should be fun!

It turns out that if you have a good handling car, and a slow person in the Karoussel, you can  get by on the inside.  You can make it work but you have to handle good and be passing a real stinker.

I learned this aftet watching the cow volvo pass about 5 of us at one time, as we were all stuck behing a slow car.

All things being equal, there's no way anyone would be remotely  close if they took the flat while I was on a clear Karrosel.  I'd bet ther was at least a 15 mph difference in exit speed.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Certainly never effective at racing a similar speed car. 

It was an effective means to move through traffic if bottled up there.  It was also necessary to use if committed to the lower line when passing under the bridge and not able to get easily get back into line to enter the Carousel.  I'd remain in that line (even if I lost positions there) rather than put myself (and others) into a higher risk situation under the high speeds heavy braking in the downlill section there.

Need to be very careful on exit on the lower line; it becomes off camber and the car does slide out.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

38 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-06-21 10:04 AM)

The paddock was crowded saturday, but just enough cars left overnight (sorry to see it) so we could bring all our support vehicles over the bridge sunday AM.

The karussel was a great place to let a slightly quicker car get by without any off-line shenanigans or pointing.  When an E30 or MR2 would appear in the mirror, I would just take the low groove and let him have the banking.  At the exit he would have 1 car length on me.

Fun stuff!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

The paddock was crowded saturday, but just enough cars left overnight (sorry to see it) so we could bring all our support vehicles over the bridge sunday AM.

The improvised parking-lot-on-a-cliff that grew next to our trailer was pretty danged funny. We'd stuck our cars there while we were setting up with the full intention of moving them back over the bridge, but once everyone else followed along we just kind of left them.

With some stricter management of space, a few more teams could have been squeezed in.

Re: The Karussel, the banked lane beat the SHIT out of our steering rack (you should've seen our passenger side toe-in and the tie rod play on the driver's side) and we decided to stay off it on day 2. I don't know if the other drivers kept to that plan, but our fastest laps were on Sunday.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

yeah, all my worries about the paddock were unfounded.  The track was great, i can't wait to do it again!

Britt Bolen
DOS Boot Racing - Chief Instigator
1985 GTI - DNF Lemons South Spring 2009, 26th Lemons South Fall 2009, DNF Capitol Offense 2010
If you're using all 4 tires you're not cornering fast enough!

brittbolen wrote:

yeah, all my worries about the paddock were unfounded.  The track was great, i can't wait to do it again!

And you had an awesome barbeque!!!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!