Re: I just bought a DefNder head and neck restraint!

I just finished our first race with a HANS - it rules!  Easy to swap between the hubbie and I, felt hella safe, equivalent lines of sight (ie I could move my neck enough to see) and, bonus buy, it was way cooler.  Not the I-look-better cooler, but the more ventilation cooler.

So yes, HANS = more money, but HANS mucho mejor!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Yeah, it's disconcerting to drill holes in your brand spankin' new $250 helmet, but it wasn't that hard to do. The hard part is when the instructions tell you to tighten the nut from the inside when your helmet foam isn't removable.

doctawife wrote:

I just finished our first race with a HANS - it rules!  Easy to swap between the hubbie and I, felt hella safe, equivalent lines of sight (ie I could move my neck enough to see) and, bonus buy, it was way cooler.  Not the I-look-better cooler, but the more ventilation cooler.

How does a HANS make it cooler?  Just from the lack of neck donut?

sac02 wrote:
doctawife wrote:

How does a HANS make it cooler?  Just from the lack of neck donut?

Yes, basically.  Wind can blow up under your chin and give your carotids a little chill massage.  Very nice.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Been using my DefNder for over a year.  Love it.

Fissure Brothers Racing
2010 Capitol Offense Rookies

Nice to hear.

Switching between drivers takes a little longer than putting on the foam neck collar.  ( Two clips )
There really is no hurry as we have the time it takes to add 10 gallons of fuel before we can get back in the car!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

doctawife wrote:
huf_arted wrote:
doctawife wrote:

I've spent upwards of $1000 on a meal for the two of us

Holy Crap! I must be in the wrong business. I get pissed when it is close to $200 for 2, more or less $1K!!! I assume you are a docta from your id but sheesh. I knew software was a lucrative field and after a few useless pieces of paper on the wall and a few years banging on a keyboard I do well but maybe I should have been a docta instead....

Things I spend money on:

1) Lemons and Lemons related safety equipment.
2) Food (and the wine that goes with it).
3) House payment.

She left out some salient details...(a) the $1K meal was a special event while on vacation, it's not a frequent habit; (b) yes software is lucrative but we're double dipping - she does the docta thing and I do the software thing.

Back on the HANS front, I agree that it was way better than the foam collar this past weekend. Switching it doesn't actually take very long once you practice a bit on doing the tethers by feel.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:
doctawife wrote:
huf_arted wrote:

Holy Crap! I must be in the wrong business. I get pissed when it is close to $200 for 2, more or less $1K!!! I assume you are a docta from your id but sheesh. I knew software was a lucrative field and after a few useless pieces of paper on the wall and a few years banging on a keyboard I do well but maybe I should have been a docta instead....

Things I spend money on:

1) Lemons and Lemons related safety equipment.
2) Food (and the wine that goes with it).
3) House payment.

She left out some salient details...(a) the $1K meal was a special event while on vacation, it's not a frequent habit; (b) yes software is lucrative but we're double dipping - she does the docta thing and I do the software thing.

Back on the HANS front, I agree that it was way better than the foam collar this past weekend. Switching it doesn't actually take very long once you practice a bit on doing the tethers by feel.

Eh, reality, I ignore you!

And he's not lying about the driver change feed; it's pretty fast in the HANS.

We had good success with the device.

Never were delayed once.

I found it comfortable to use.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

love my defNder.
no adjustments between swaps, though we are all fairly normal-sized humans.
i suspect if you were swapping between hulk hogan and danny devito, you would need to fiddle for 60 seconds.