Topic: Fuel tank / Cell

Will a Jazz SFI rated Aluminum foam filled fuel tank be an acceptable alternative to a FIA rated tank?
installing in the MGB trunk, totally sealed from passenger compartment.

regards
Paul

Re: Fuel tank / Cell

You should be fine, but you should check directly with Nick/Jay or John @ Evil Genius Racing. They are very stringent on fuel cell install requirements. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Having been down this road ......

Any fuel cell will be ok if it's installed where the OEM tank was and it's separated from the cabin by a complete metal bulkhead.

If it's in a hatchback, as it would have been in our case, and I think the B is similar in design to us, then if the driver can see it, it'll need to be a FIA rated cell.  An SFI rated cell is not FIA rated.  We could have put in a SFI rated cell - but we would also have had to install a bulkhead within the hatchback cabin to isolate it.  It just wasn't worth the work to fix a non-problem.  To put in a FIA rated cell was to expensive to fix the same non-problem.

Here's the thread.

OK rather than take any risks with tech failure i guess i have 2 choices. A custom replacement OEM type tank available off the BMC website about 650$ or an FIA fuel cell  around 800$ bt the time i have finished.
Trade offs BMC fits in original location keeps the weight lower. FIA can be reused in different vehicle when the MGB meets its demise. But has to sit in the trunk.
Ps can't use a regular MGB tank because we switched the motor to a Fuel Injected Chevy.

Regards

Paul

Is the aluminum Jazz cell you mentioned have a bladder?  If so, go ahead and use it and mount it as stout as possible in the trunk of your MGB roadster.  It is a convertible right, not the MGB GT hatchback?  And per the rules, you don't have to put it in the OEM location.  You can put it almost anywhere within reason as long as it is encased in metal separating it from the interior of the car.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Ouch!!!!  1279.00$  ATL FIA certified fuel cell.
Hopefully this means no BBQ'd Brits!!!

regards
Paul

7 (edited by Mulry 2010-08-12 09:38 AM)

I really think you could run the Jazz cell in the trunk so long as you put a metal shell around it. You should check with Jay/Nick before you plunk down the big bucks for the FIA cell. Or at least I would.

And for what it's worth, you can get a Fuel Safe 22-gallon FIA-certified fuel cell (the Enduro, #ED122A) for under $800. Maybe less if you shop around.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

If you're replacing a std. tank that is under the floor pan of the trunk then any fuel cell should work in that same location as it's isolated from the cabin.  Summit even has OEM chevy tanks available - maybe even one already built for your injected system.

Checked with fuel safe they were marginally cheaper but the fuel pick was designed for the hang a left an a left an a left crowd.. Decided that i would buy one with the full certification then it should be usable on any future car even a hatchback.

appreciate all the advice. The engine swap isn't turning out as easy as advertised. the wiring harness is proving to be a problem and i suspect that a megasquirt will be a difficult sell to the BS inspection.

Regards
Paul