Re: Our total cost for first Lemons race

trekkor wrote:

Car- free
fuel- $400 testing, race and transport
tires- $700
fees- $1200
brakes- $300
cage- $450
paint- $100 ( including pin striping and masking supplies )
Safety- free. Seat, belts, padding, fire bottles
power cut-off switch- $30
vinyl- free ( sponsored )

$3180 here.

Doesn't include food or accommodations for drivers or crew/helpers.

KT

Nor does it count other real expenses that somehow must be paid.. Trailer, and tow vehicle, (or race car hauler) Sleeping bag, tent, camper, motorhome, whatever to allow those who drove all night someplace to sleep.  Meals for  at least 4 people and perhaps as many as 10. Snacks and water etc..  Plus the cost of divorce if your wife should get bored with your hobby and choose to take up  with the gardner/pool man. 
While shiney baubles and new dresses might forstay that event a bit She-who-must-be-obeyed seems to be completely Irrational since you're turning her houshold budget into noise

You need to incorporate the significant other.

I've been spending more time on my girlfriends camper than the race car lately.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

It looks like we have double the average hours of labor that most have.... we must have done something wrong. We also had not figured on making our wives LeMONS-widows either. I think the purpose of our build is to serve as a warning for others.

82 Oldsmobile Cutless SUPREME - 40 somethingplace at Lemons South Fall 2010- 17th place Lemons Southern Discomfort 2011-15th Place Lemons South Spring 2011 - somewhere between 20-25th Where The Elite Meet To Cheat, Charlotte 2011
93 Subaru Impreza - 16th overall, 3rd in class Lemons South Fall 2013
62 DKW Junior - In pieces
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Van-B … 1676505643

FreeRange wrote:

For what it's worth, we spent $1800 at thunderhill.  That included diesel to get to the track (~1000 miles round trip), camping fees, car fees, driver fees, engine oil, new brake pads, fuel, food at the track etc. etc.

From doorstep to doorstep.  Ended up being about $450 / driver.  This was our 5th race

'
You sure you added all that up right? car and 5 drivers is $1,000. What about rotors, brake fluid, tires etc + cost of replacing whatever breaks on track because you didn't refresh it wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Red Mini - We had around 140 labor hours in the car, in one week (less cage) and I can't think we spent over $2400 for everything... (gut feeling is ~$2100) but I didn't have the $1k in tires and brakes you do...

and then only put in 19laps (9 official). Would have been heck less if there hadn't been extra trips to Wally world for more oil, Grass Valley and Sac for more parts, etc.
first pass on car tho'

2nd time out will be less expensive by a LARGE ka-ching due to now having safety eqpt, 5gal jugs, a pallet of shop towels, drip pans, spare bits, practically free spare tires etc. Those add up FAST in prepping a 1st time out!

~I did not and do not recommend keeping an accurate total on a 1st time - it will kill the spousal support, discourage someone on the team and probably get you shot-down. Unfortunately one needs to do this if a 'single entity' isn't 'team-owner prime' with deep enough credit cards to cope... one hopes to recoup the investment as such by charging $10-$50 more than what is immediately apparent as operating costs to team drivers over the next races...

:-P the next "labor hours" will be more or less the same next time as the car is exactly the same as it was a week b4 t-hill - completely disassembled and at the sand-blaster awaiting to become something more than a Lemons car.

FreeRange wrote:

For what it's worth, we spent $1800 at thunderhill.

I can see that.  We spent $1,982.00 in May at CMP and that figure included, entry fees, tires, brakes, gas, oil, food, lodging, and diesel towing expense.  Of course that was our 4th race in the car so it was pretty much sorted out by then.  I can't really see our team doing any event for much less than we spent in May.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Troy wrote:

You need to incorporate the significant other.

I've been spending more time on my girlfriends camper than the race car lately.

I don't think you mean to make a legal entity out of your girlfriend. However, the overall scheme is a good one. Happily for the husband, I'm usually the one advocating for the high cost option.

He loves AND hates that. After all, he is the one that actualizes costs over multiple races... In Excel... Last race "we" paid off the cage... After what felt like a bazillion races.

And btw, where can I get a girlfriend with a camper? That would rule!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

I think there is a section in craigslist that you can rent a girlfriend with a camper for a certain amount of time.

wink

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

34 (edited by doctawife 2010-09-02 11:47 AM)

BoB wrote:
doctawife wrote:

I think there is a section in craigslist that you can rent a girlfriend with a camper for a certain amount of time.

wink

Will she cost more than the camper?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Car                                                          $200
Wheels and tires                                     $638
Cage                                                        $700 ($2100 cost - $1400 was donated)
Fire system                                              donated
Seat                                                         donated
Harnesses                                               donated
Gauges                                                    $20
Paint                                                        donated
Tow Hooks                                               $45
Cage Padding                                          $110
Control arm                                              $45
Axle                                                          $40
Brake pads                                               donated
New autozone calipers                            $85
New rotors                                               donated
HF Trailer Brake Lights                             donated
Kill Switch                                                 donated
Battery                                                     donated then replaced with $70 battery
Entry fees                                                $1800 (6 drivers, 3 pit crew - all first event)
Diesel for truck                                         $300
Hotel for 10 people                                  $3200
Food                                                         $300 + considerable donations
Beer (it's a necessity)                               $200
Car Fuel                                                    $75

So far that total is $7828... and there's stuff I'm missing.  If you really total it all up, it's expensive.  We also have raised more than $6500 for the charity we're sponsoring... so far anyway.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.