Re: We want more 24 hour races!!

Jer wrote:

I like both formats.  I definitely want to do at least one 24 hour race each year.  They offer different challenges, and there's something special about that 4-6 AM shift.  I thought I would hate it, but it was sort of surreal to run at that time.  Made me think about the guys running LeMan and Daytona...

Agreed. I ONLY drove at night at SoW. The "tunnel vision" from the headlights was strangely comforting. It took a couple of laps to get your bearings, but then it was almost easier to stay focused. The second shift spanned from full dark to full daylight. It was ridiculous. I couldn't keep from grinning ear to ear. It was SO stinking cool.

It also helped that it was January at Streets, so at night it got down into the 20s. Half the team sleeping in the RV, the other half wispering into the radio all night. It was absolutely the most interesting, memorable, significant racing experience I've been through. I've been to tracks that were more fun, I've had more fun with cold-track shennanigans at other events. But the true 24 hour race was SO much better, I will sign up for every single one within 1000 miles even if they're twice the price.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Having done the Flat Rock (Detroit) '07 true 24, and 3 24 hours of Willow Springs motorcycle endurance races, I'm on the fence about it all... It beats the heck out of your equipment, and you need to have either supermen/women drivers or do shortish stints at night.

Having been stuck out in turn 2 for a half hour, wondering if the B210 guy was ok, I agree that T-Hill is maybe not the best crapcan 24 hour track. You need some good lights.

There is nothing quite like going to sleep at 3AM to the sound of racing engines and waking up at 5 to the same staccato grumble, talking to your fellow racers bleary-eyed and looking for coffee at a closed concession stand...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 146 races and counting.
5/24/24

28 (edited by SteveO 2010-09-06 06:50 AM)

We just finished a True 24 hour race at Nelsons Ledge this weekend with UsedCar racing. Only 13 cars showed up. Mostly Lemon Racers anyway. Racing was Great nothing like strapping into the car in the middle of the night for 2 hours + All but one car finished the race. We ended up in 2nd place with 833 laps= 1666 miles total.  What a BLAST !!!!

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

The judges get really short-tempered and mean by about 2:00 AM...

Judge Phil wrote:

The judges get really short-tempered and mean by about 2:00 AM...

Some of us are like that all the time.

But yes, in any 24-hour race, anyone who comes into the Penalty Box at any time after the first, say, 6 hours of racing can expect a world-class thrashing.

We're going to go penalty free from here on out.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

SteveO wrote:

We just finished a True 24 hour race at Nelsons Ledge this weekend with UsedCar racing. Only 13 cars showed up. Mostly Lemon Racers anyway. Racing was Great nothing like strapping into the car in the middle of the night for 2 hours + All but one car finished the race. We ended up in 2nd place with 833 laps= 1666 miles total.  What a BLAST !!!!

SteveO; i was temping as driver for "Focke Ewe #190" and you guys were great to race with. I am in total agreement, a full 24, especially there, was a blast. they even had the concession stand open all night! nothing like a double bacon cheeseburger at 5am after pulling a 2-hour stint in the deep darkness of Oak Tree through the Carousel.

I like the two-day format a lot and don't really have any desire to race through the night.

I prefer the two day format...  More drinking time helps a bunch..but seriously the logistics of running a 24 hour format means the whole team is pretty much up for 48+ hours straight....which is hard on everyone.....  Really whats the point of being up all night and NOT DRINKING....okay maybe I'm just a lush....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

I prefer the two day format...  More drinking time helps a bunch..but seriously the logistics of running a 24 hour format means the whole team is pretty much up for 48+ hours straight....which is hard on everyone.....  Really whats the point of being up all night and NOT DRINKING....okay maybe I'm just a lush....

i've been disappointed at the lack of drinking the past few races i've been to.  teams and their 'oh we have to fix our cars' and 'we want to be fresh for tomorrow' crap

lame

eljefe17 wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

i've been disappointed at the lack of drinking the past few races i've been to.  teams and their 'oh we have to fix our cars' and 'we want to be fresh for tomorrow' crap

lame

Come hang out with us I dont think you will be disappointed.

eljefe17 wrote:

lame

Srsly.  We barely polished a pitcher at Arse Sweat.

shrimpandboots wrote:
eljefe17 wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

lame

I hurt just thinking about the drinking you guys do.
Nov will be crazy.
On the Tow Hook.
Carver

LeMonsHQ Overlords. Please ignore the small number of previous posts indicating that they prefer two-day separated race weekends. That was not the subject of this thread. And those people are silly.

What we want are MORE 24 hour races. You don't have to make every race 24 hours. Just try to make MORE of them 24 hours. There has only been one within 15 hours of SoCal (Reno) and that no longer exists. I've had to start running with "the other guys" just to get this 24 hour fix. I like getting my fix from you guys. So please just provide more 24 hour fixes.

Gracias.
http://www.famouswhy.com/pictures/people/che_guevara_thumb_small.jpg

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

shrimpandboots wrote:
eljefe17 wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

lame

from what i've heard here, i'm sure i wouldn't.  too bad i haven't been to a race you guys have done

I wonder if you could do like a 16 hour solid race then sprints the next day. 24 Minutes of Lemons would be an awesome touring car event.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

eljefe17 wrote:
shrimpandboots wrote:
eljefe17 wrote:

lame

from what i've heard here, i'm sure i wouldn't.  too bad i haven't been to a race you guys have done

From what I saw (& drank) 1st hand and Arse Sweat...there was plenty of "consumption" going on...my personal favorite was the Cannonball Bandits chainsaw powered blender making some wicked "Canadian ice" margaritas or was in mangoritas....I dunno, but I sure drank them!!! 

I don't get the "I got to take it easy for tomorrow, when it comes to drinking"....bunch of rookies....I INTENTIONALLY ramp up my drinking on the days prior to the event...that way I can get hammered and still be fine the next day....geeze...isn't this what its all about???

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

+1

250 GTO

Considering the difficulty in tracks providing 24 hour races, I believe we should take advantage of a 24 opportunity whenever given one. Iowa Speedway and other rovals may offer a 24 hour format without irritating the neighbors. I don't believe alot of Lemons drivers started racing in Lemons just to drive a piece of crap. My reason (and I believe the majority who do this as well) was to finish, even possibly win, a 24 hour race. Finishing by itself is worth all the toil and trouble.

Off the top-of-my-head suggestion: Maintain the entry fees but don't offer prize money. Use that money to bribe the track and its neighbors to allow night racing. Or pay the workers who have to stay up all night.

-Dave
#99/991 Team Short Bus

^ werd ^

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...