Re: First Race -- what do you need to bring?

PHONE CHARGERS. A lot of these racetracks are out in the middle of nowhere and even if your phone has 5 days of battery life, it'll probably drop to less than a day as it amps up its transmission power in a struggle to stay in contact with the network.

My Suburban has a spot up front for a spare battery, but there wasn't a battery or cables there. I threw a spare Optima in there just in case. Sure enough, my wife left the inverter on all night charging her cellphone. I just ran the jumper cables across the front of the truck to the other battery and fired it right up.

Extension cords and power strips. There will not be enough plugs for everyone.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

rdoherty wrote:

+1

Doesn't someone have a check list of stuff you should bring?

sergio wrote:
rdoherty wrote:

+1

My check list:

Is it in the shop?  Put it in the trailer.
Is it in the house and race related?  Put it in the truck.
Can I eat it or drink it?  The wife makes sure it goes too!
Miscellaneous chairs, tents, fans, etc, for the support staff is mandatory!
(Disclaimer:  At the May CMP race my racing shoes were left in the bedroom where I had been packing.  Thankfully one of our team had not left yet.)

Pretty much run through your mind what it would take to fix the following and write it down:

Front end collision, front side collision (either side), rear side collision(either side), rear end collision, catastrophic electrical fire in the car, gas tank puncture, fuel line rupture, engine fire or blow up, or the most serious, an angry Judge.  Include massive amounts of tie straps, duct tape, baling wire, bungee cords, and baksheesh.  Add the 4 largest hammers you can find, two lengths of 1 1/2" pipe about 4 feet long, enough heavy angle and channel iron to rebuild a frame for your car, and about 2 pieces of flat steel for plating.  This is your "Ought To Take" list.  If there is room, you can add other stuff

Have or borrow a generator and small welder and an acetylene torch.  I have not used either on our car, but did some emergency welding for a few other teams in the general spirit of Lemons.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I have a six-page packing list that I can email. There's a few things I still need to change on it, but it's pretty thorough.

I knew it would be a long list. Between car stuff, camping/food stuff etc.

I've been reducing my list as time goes by. It's easy to pack too much stuff and really difficult to pack just the right amount. For example, do I bring all 4 spare corners in the event that we have a real whammy of an accident and our suspension is so fubar'd that we need to swap the entire corner? Or do I leave them and hope we don't need them. Spare transmission? Same thing. Repeat over and over and over again.

That said, I think I'm down to 2 boxes of spares at this point and could probably get it to one and a half if I really tried. I mean, how likely is it that I'm going to swap out pistons if this engine craps out mid-race? Not very. I guess if you make a conclusion now about what conditions invoke Miller Time rather than Catastrophic Fix Time, you can reduce the list by a lot.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

MOST IMPORTANT THING TO BRING:

Humor, or at least a good sense of one, otherwise, it will be a long weekend (or a short one when the Court pulls your arm bands after 4 black flags)

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

MOST IMPORTANT THING TO BRING:

Humor, or at least a good sense of one, otherwise, it will be a long weekend (or a short one when the Court pulls your arm bands after 4 black flags)

Yep - and don't bring expectations of anything other than having a good time. That is about the only thing that you can guarantee at a Lemons race.

I'd say the most important spares to bring are spare lengths of hose. We fabbed up a new PCV connector out of old radiator hose, fuel hose, F4 tape, and duct tape.

Judge Phil wrote:

If you have random junkyard radiators lying around, bring them all. You'll be able to trade them for cool stuff to desperate teams.

Seriously.  Radiators at Lemons are like cigarettes in prison.

Second on the hose, as many different types and connectors as you can.  If you have any strange special tools you never use - bring them.  Someone there may need one and helping out other teams makes the difference.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

At least 2 sheets of plywood. Lay it on the ground, drive (or push) the car over it and viola, instant garage floor. Beats the hell out of grass and dirt, or in the case of Nelson Ledges, cold, ankle-deep mud.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Everyone has thier own methods, but here is what we do. 

First we have a master list of stuff to bring and who is supposed to be bringing it.  We keep it on-line so all members can access it at their homes.

We have everything that will fit in a bin, well, in a bin.  Each bin is labeled with with a number and what goes in that bin.  The reason for the number is all the info is on the lid and once removed you don't know what part is where.  We have corresponding numbers on the sides of the bin to keep the lids and bins properly paired with each other.

Each of our teams brings tools so we have spares of most stuff we would need for an 'll hands on deck' repair.

Bring a wagon or some sort of wheeled dolly to transport fuel from the paddock to the hot pits.  Fuel can get heavy if you have top carry it a long way.

Besides the car (as many have said) bring stuff to keep YOU comfortable.  LOTS of water, sunscreen, shade, food, chairs, etc.  If you and all of your team are spent the state of the car won't much matter.  Also bring extra clothes and rain gear for inclimate weather.  Being soaking wet all day will suck!

Most of all bring your sense of humor and have a good time.  Taking this too serious will spoil your weekend and others as well.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

*EDIT*

A car that will pass tech the first time and every time.

*/EDIT*

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Ya know, I retired from roundy round racing 18 years ago, mainly because of all the bitching, whining and political posturing that goes on at ALL bullrings, but mostly here in Central Indiana.  Most of this was done with my son, my best friend and a lot of BS time bench racing in the shop.  Well, it is starting all over again, and I can't tell you guys what you already know...'THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YER CLOTHES ON'!  We're just getting started tearing apart our '91 T-Bird (yes boys we're bringing Detroit iron) and I haven't laughed, sweat, and bled this much in 18 years!  We're havin a ball!  But the best part is getting back together with my best freind after all these years and involving my 30 something son and step son in the project...how does 1 man get so lucky!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

windowman99 wrote:

Ya know, I retired from roundy round racing 18 years ago, mainly because of all the bitching, whining and political posturing that goes on at ALL bullrings, but mostly here in Central Indiana.  Most of this was done with my son, my best friend and a lot of BS time bench racing in the shop.  Well, it is starting all over again, and I can't tell you guys what you already know...'THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YER CLOTHES ON'!  We're just getting started tearing apart our '91 T-Bird (yes boys we're bringing Detroit iron) and I haven't laughed, sweat, and bled this much in 18 years!  We're havin a ball!  But the best part is getting back together with my best freind after all these years and involving my 30 something son and step son in the project...how does 1 man get so lucky!

By racing Lemons, that's how.

Welcome to the circus.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

windowman99 wrote:

Lemons is a blast - but I do have to point out one mistake you've made here.

The most fun you can have with your clothes on is having sex with your clothes on.

Zachreligious wrote:

he most fun you can have with your clothes on is having sex with your clothes on.

When I was 20 something I might have agreed, but now I'd likely rather race than do anything.  Besides I get to race 4 hours in the race and sex lasts waaaaaaay less than that amount of time.  smile

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

he most fun you can have with your clothes on is having sex with your clothes on.

When I was 20 something I might have agreed, but now I'd likely rather race than do anything.  Besides I get to race 4 hours in the race and sex lasts waaaaaaay less than that amount of time.  smile

Call a doctor if your erection lasts more than 4 hours.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Call a doctor if your erection lasts more than 4 hours.

Call team Miagra if your race last less than 4 hours