Re: College student unpreparedness

You can usually get Motul 600 at motorcycle shops.

m610 wrote:

You can usually get Motul 600 at motorcycle shops.

That's true, good answer!!!

Please let us know if you pass tech ...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

29 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-24 11:51 AM)

Will do, but it looks like there's not any cell service on track. This will be a fun weekend!

I'm about to head down there, and tech will be closed by the time I get there. Hope my team managed without me...

Y'all have a good weekend, thanks for the help.

EyeMWing wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

They may be lemons-budget exempt... Not so sure about college-student-budget exempt

What car number do you guys have? I have to see this with my own eyes - I tried to organize a team several times throughout my college career and whenever it came time to actually get even a PENNY out of anybody, it became "This is all a stupid idea anyway"

I could never convince anyone to do it until after we graduated and had jobs.  Then it was on!

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Well we passed tech and got thru bs with no laps. Let the fun begin!

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Well we passed tech and got thru bs with no laps. Let the fun begin!

Congrats! Didya get any better brake fluid?

Remember, rubbin' may be racin', but the guy who stays on track the longest wins!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Yep, already fudged that one up. Busted a valve stem pretty early, that was okay, just threw on the spare. Then one of our drivers had a 4-off because the brakes totally disappeared. Okay, there's air in the brakes, not a big deal, need to bleed them (didn't yesterday, should have). Taking the tire off, we sheared one of the lug bolts off (was already ~75% sheared, our torquing it did it in). Also, one of the bolts holding our brake calipers in had disappeared.

Two hour-long trips to autozone later and we're just now getting everything thrown back together with a new lug and new. Needless to say, we will be double and triple checking everything tonight.

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Yep, already fudged that one up. Busted a valve stem pretty early, that was okay, just threw on the spare. Then one of our drivers had a 4-off because the brakes totally disappeared. Okay, there's air in the brakes, not a big deal, need to bleed them (didn't yesterday, should have). Taking the tire off, we sheared one of the lug bolts off (was already ~75% sheared, our torquing it did it in). Also, one of the bolts holding our brake calipers in had disappeared.

Two hour-long trips to autozone later and we're just now getting everything thrown back together with a new lug and new. Needless to say, we will be double and triple checking everything tonight.

Oh boy, that's how those first races are. Stuff magically breaks or gets lost. Some things that you think are not that important, turns out they are. Just keep notes of all the screw ups so you don't repeat them. Next time will be better. But it's still fun as shit even when it breaks.

sergio wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Oh boy, that's how those first races are. Stuff magically breaks or gets lost. Some things that you think are not that important, turns out they are. Just keep notes of all the screw ups so you don't repeat them. Next time will be better. But it's still fun as shit even when it breaks.

+1 million

We set our brakes on fire our first time out.  And then the last driver on day #2 finished with no true brakes at all.  Just the parking brake. 

At least the 4-off came in tandem with a mechanical failure - that way the penalty time doesn't really cut into your racing time.  Now the repair time shortens track time, but that's kinda of a different feeling.  That's not your driver's fault, that's the car's fault.  Whole different can o worms, there.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

36 (edited by YesIFit 2010-09-26 08:07 AM)

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Then one of our drivers had a 4-off because the brakes totally disappeared. Okay, there's air in the brakes, not a big deal, need to bleed them (didn't yesterday, should have).

Um, yeah, that kind of IS a big deal.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

YesIFit wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Then one of our drivers had a 4-off because the brakes totally disappeared. Okay, there's air in the brakes, not a big deal, need to bleed them (didn't yesterday, should have).

Um, yeah, that kind of IS a big deal.

Big deal, yes, but also an easy fix that turned into a hard fix.

Also, our kill switch gave up the ghost at about 9:00pm saturday night, so I had to run around the camp ground trying to find one to buy off someone. The folks in the red civic hatch were nice enough to give us their extra and that got us back on track for Sunday... Until the rain came and the window fogged up. Half hour goes by as we're scrambling to pick up the camp site (in the rain) and we're about to pack it in when I spot the folks next door have some anti-fog. Well they let us use some of that and we were back in business for another hour and a half before the brakes were cooked again. Not as bad as saturday, but the fluid was definitely toast. Exhausted and tired of working on this stupid car (been working nonstop since sunday, basically) we packed it in and went home.

We also had a bit of a sputtering issue on saturday after the car had been run alot; we replaced the fuel filter and that problem didn't show up today.

So, for next time:
- Good brake fluid, completely flushed. None of this partial flush business.
- Cut rear springs (back end was floating all over the place)
- Make sure brakes work
- Bring more extras of everything
- Remember camera mount

Thanks again to everyone who helped us out, hopefully I'll have some pics to share.

John (Evil Genius) has a post here somewhere, stickied, that talks about prep and emphasizes brakes and tires.

Congrats on making it to the show AND finishing. We recently flushed out and prettied up a barn-find Opel, got it to the race, and finished, also sputtering, but finished. We know how it feels.

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

So, for next time:
- Good brake fluid, completely flushed. None of this partial flush business.
- Cut rear springs (back end was floating all over the place)
- Make sure brakes work
- Bring more extras of everything
- Remember camera mount

There's more the having functioning brakes than good fluid.

I've seen lines, calipers, master cylinders and even wheel cylinders all die in Lemons.  If it's lod and rubber, you should replace it.

IIRC, you have a 240SX, there are plenty of brake options for that car too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z