Re: Lets talk rear suspension: specifically straight axle

Baron wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
Loren wrote:

90%?  A Lemons car? 

Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Yes you are right, However anybody with the idea that a rear suspension update is critical doesn't realize how these events are won.. They are still in SCCA cut and thrust mode..  Simply not ready to believe the reality.

who the fuck ever said anything about winning?

Every single newbie who hasn't had his head bashed in by reality starts out racing thinking they are the next Michael Schumacher
It's what makes us do all this silly stuff.. (Turn a whole lot of money into Noise) 
  Once racing they find out the fun there is in simply racing.. In finishing!
That's when they are ready for the truth.. Untill then let them have their dreams..  Unless you like telling little children there is no Santa Clause.  And the easter bunny really doesn't hide easter eggs..

Baron wrote:

A leaf spring will let the axle rap up, turning the spring into an 'S' on acceleration. I have done a lot of straight line drag junk, just never set anything RWD up to handle. I have watched high speed of a 2nd gen camaro on the drag strip wheel hopping, and it was not pretty how much the spring let the rear end jump, both up and down, back and forth, and side to side.

You are correct about a leaf spring in drag racing applications (although I have had a PHR/TQ arm set up wheel hoop as well). However we are not drag racing, you are not launching the car, and if you have enough power to wheel hoop out of a corner, you're cheating (in a Lemons race). IMO the name of the game is to keep it simple. Maybe add some stiff shocks, more pack clamps new bushings and call it a day. Trying to re-design a rear suspension one these hoopties makes little sense, unless of course you are doing something really over the top and going for the shock and awe factor.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Even a modern 911 will wheel hop like crazy if you manage to spin the rear tires.  If you are spinning the rears off every corner ( and not driving a Mark VIII ) you are just killing tires and going slow.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

JD1969 wrote:
Baron wrote:

A leaf spring will let the axle rap up, turning the spring into an 'S' on acceleration. I have done a lot of straight line drag junk, just never set anything RWD up to handle. I have watched high speed of a 2nd gen camaro on the drag strip wheel hopping, and it was not pretty how much the spring let the rear end jump, both up and down, back and forth, and side to side.

You are correct about a leaf spring in drag racing applications (although I have had a PHR/TQ arm set up wheel hoop as well). However we are not drag racing, you are not launching the car, and if you have enough power to wheel hoop out of a corner, you're cheating (in a Lemons race). IMO the name of the game is to keep it simple. Maybe add some stiff shocks, more pack clamps new bushings and call it a day. Trying to re-design a rear suspension one these hoopties makes little sense, unless of course you are doing something really over the top and going for the shock and awe factor.

Thanks for a good post. I ask this because of what I have seen at a Lemons race, with a big monte carlo that would wheel hop out of the corners pretty bad, and it was pretty slow around the track.

We are not good drivers, and I am a big fan of driving around the track having fun. Not that I havent spent time on a rolling toilet for spinning and laughed the whole time, I just would like to avoid spinning in a corner and hitting someone else. And by "I" I mean myself and the newbs on our team.

If there is a "good" solution that we can fab, then I would like to look into it.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Ghetto fab a set of traction bars. Look towards Caltrac for some ideas.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

JD1969 wrote:
Baron wrote:

Wait... not everyone goes for the shock and awe factor? I thought that was part of the point...

Baron wrote:
JD1969 wrote:
Baron wrote:

Thanks for a good post. I ask this because of what I have seen at a Lemons race, with a big monte carlo that would wheel hop out of the corners pretty bad, and it was pretty slow around the track.

We are not good drivers, and I am a big fan of driving around the track having fun. Not that I havent spent time on a rolling toilet for spinning and laughed the whole time, I just would like to avoid spinning in a corner and hitting someone else. And by "I" I mean myself and the newbs on our team.

If there is a "good" solution that we can fab, then I would like to look into it.

I think your chassis is run on circle tracks (I am not sure, I don't speak circle track)... they would know more than you would ever want to about modding them.  Having said that, if I was mine, I'd focus more on the front and brakes - that thing is likely to plow like a tractor and eat tires like potato chips. But if I got all the front and brakes sorted, I'd be tempted to throw a homemade panhard bar and possibly traction bars on there (the latter mostly because they look ultra retro cool).

We kept things simple on our Cherokee, and it handles alarmingly well (for a POS race car).  We converted it from spring-over to spring-under and added a stiffer leaf to the stock pack.  Netted about a 3 in drop in ride height and stiffened it up a lot.  Stock sway bar and shocks.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

If the green flag drops and you're looking at it on the track, you are a contestant.
If that checkered flag drops and the car you've been thrashing on is out there you are a finisher.

Finally if that checkered flag drops and you been running the whole time you are a winner!
(The bag of nickles goes to the luckiest.)

35 (edited by Loren 2010-09-27 02:15 PM)

Here's a tidbit a lot of people overlook:

If you've got a traction problem in the rear, it's not always the fault of the rear suspension.  You want to plant the rear end?  Keep it soft.  Stock springs, stock shocks, stock swaybar.  Then, on the FRONT, put the biggest swaybar you can find with some good shocks and adequate camber.

Then, if you find you've gone too far and the car understeers more than you can deal with... either make the rear swaybar larger or start going smaller on the front bar.

As much as "racers" will tell you how much understeer sucks, if you're looking for a predictable handling car that will get a bunch of newbs around a race track without a lot of trouble... a LITTLE bit of understeer is exactly what you want.

Firm front suspension with a big front swaybar will allow you to put more power down on corner exit... which is the hot ticket both for making use of your power, and for fun driving!

EDIT:  Think "slow in; fast out".  You can deal with the understeer by being "slow in"... the proper setup will allow you to dig in and be "fast out".  And then, as your drivers develop, they'll figure out how to be "fast in; faster out".

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Didn't feel like reading everything, but a ghetto set of home-mad caltracs will help with locating the axle, and a panhard should make it pretty decent, and cheap!

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

Didn't feel like reading everything, but a ghetto set of home-mad caltracs will help with locating the axle, and a panhard should make it pretty decent, and cheap!

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..
   What is needed in drag racing is lousy on a road race. Likely to bind up and turn your car into a dump truck when it comes to handling.

so what'd you decide? fabulous factory leafs or something more exotic?

if you're hell bent on fabricating i vote for a three link or torque arm setup with a panhard.  the torque arm concenpt will end your wheel hop issues and has (relatively) easily understood geometry.  a 3-link is a little more dicey as you actually need to understand how your susp geometry will change will bump/droop/roll.  you can kill good geometry in a heartbeat with a poorly designed 3-link.  and a watt's link is just overkill and it costs too much money. so maybe a panhard bar allows 3/8" lateral travel of your axle and a watt's link constrains it to only 1/16"... you'll NEVER feel that.  although, watt's links are pretty sweet looking.

-DA

-DA

39 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2010-10-23 02:35 PM)

Sure, you can build a 3 link etc (I've done it myself) but that's overkill for Lemons. I'd stick with the leafs but they will need some improvement. Something a lot of people overlook: rubber bushing bind. If you have access to a shop, pull the leafs, do the grease and reassemble thing, but also trash the stock rubber eye and shackle bushings, replace them with bronze or equivalent, grease the crap out of them and reinstall. I wouldn't get too worried about side to side location. But if you do decide to work on that, Panhards are difficult to get right on a leaf setup. The Watts is better but as mentioned it too can bind. Fixing that usually means spherical bushings which = $$$$.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Thanks for the imput. Now that we have a schedule for next year, we are putting together a plan for the car. Aside from the normal brakes, bearings and hoses on the front, we found that the MII's suspensions are literally everywhere. Busings are dirty cheap, as are ball joints. We have some budget money avail, and dont intend to do many things other than realiability and such. The car is a semi-running basket case, so after we evaluate what we have to do, we will see what else we can afford, and go from there.

I found that there is an scca class for pintos, and it seems that they handle fairly well right out of the box. They are a bit more balanced, so we are going to work on  getting a bit closer to 50/50 balance, requiring an engine setback. Hopefully we have time to do that, I think it will be cool, and might even help! Rear brakes are working out to be a pain, most all of the bigger rotors for the front are for streetrods and are 5 lug. We may redrill the rear to 5, or the front back to 4.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Back in my Stone Age, we used a bump stop that contacted the diff housing snout near the yoke. Reduced axle wrap. You can also lower the car with a little judicious torch work. Take apart the spring pack and inspect for sure; cracks hide around the locating hole on the main leaf.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....