Re: Rolls-Royce?

bigds01 wrote:

Problem is the brakes.  They are insanely expensive to modify for racing.  The pricing would be somewhere in the 12k range just for the braking system.  Plus mineral oil makes crap for racing brake fluid.

You're not thinking far enough outside of the box.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I was way, way outside the box. Problem is that you have to move to discs from the drums and there were real clearance problems.  The master cylinder on the 70's rolls were driven off the engine so replacement is very hard.  Most people use a truck master cylinder but stick with the drums and mineral oil.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Think that's bad, try a Citroen with transmission fluid for brake fluid that's also the suspension fluid, and the power steering fluid, and the brake discs and calipers are inboard on the transmission, not on the wheel hubs. Just don't drive fast enough to need your brakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yqm4nX60U

bigds01 wrote:

I was way, way outside the box. Problem is that you have to move to discs from the drums and there were real clearance problems.  The master cylinder on the 70's rolls were driven off the engine so replacement is very hard.  Most people use a truck master cylinder but stick with the drums and mineral oil.

I was going further out of the box than just changing the master cylinder or even just the brakes.  Why not do as folks have done with things like the Wartburg/Subaru or the recent Alfa/MR2?  Put the Rolls body on a more modern SUV frame.  This solves your driveline problems, suspension problems (well, at least gives you something you can work with), and brake problems in one king-sized swoop.

The work would be plenty, but the cost would not be $12,000.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

The brake problem can't be THAT bad - surely someone, somewhere makes hanging plate rotors that fit the bolt pattern - just add calipers and an (admittedly custom) caliper bracket and plumb to a master cylinder of your choosing. How hard can it be?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

31 (edited by Speedycop 2010-10-26 10:33 AM)

Loren wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

I was going further out of the box than just changing the master cylinder or even just the brakes.  Why not do as folks have done with things like the Wartburg/Subaru or the recent Alfa/MR2?  Put the Rolls body on a more modern SUV frame.  This solves your driveline problems, suspension problems (well, at least gives you something you can work with), and brake problems in one king-sized swoop.

The work would be plenty, but the cost would not be $12,000.

It's a Lancia Beta/MR2, not an Alfa. The Fiat parts bin only had unwanted scraps when they cobbled the Scorps together...

I emailed about the Rolls for $500 in Chicago. He responded days later that he had thrown it away.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Ah, sorry.  Wasn't sure it was an Alfa... but was too lazy to go look it up!