Re: what's more lemony? super beetle/750i/xj6

Want a 12 cylinder BMW but simple?  Easy!  Take two Jeep straight 6s, graft them nose to tip and go!  Built for 30 years or so, cheap as hell, parts everywhere, and they go together like lego sets.  There's probably an E30 chassis somewhere out there just waiting for this arrangement.

Judge Phil wrote:

I suggest an early-80s Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Or, really, any Cadillac. We like luxury cars in Lemons. Here's a wish list of some not-yet-seen-in-LeMons cars that shouldn't be too hard to find. Bring one of these and you'll make us very happy:

GM "Dustbuster" minivan (Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV)

You forgot the TranSport.  See?  It has "sport" in the name, so it'll be good.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

I would think even a standard golf cart front suspension would be a massive upgrade on a Reliant. Though it really is that rediculous middle front wheel that makes it what it is. What if you rigged training wheels to the front end? Would that make it legal?

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

yodogg wrote:

I would think even a standard golf cart front suspension would be a massive upgrade on a Reliant. Though it really is that rediculous middle front wheel that makes it what it is. What if you rigged training wheels to the front end? Would that make it legal?

Just ask the Crew Le Pew how they got their car to stop asking for a belly rub.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Judge Phil wrote:

I suggest an early-80s Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Or, really, any Cadillac. We like luxury cars in Lemons. Here's a wish list of some not-yet-seen-in-LeMons cars that shouldn't be too hard to find. Bring one of these and you'll make us very happy:

Chrysler TC By Maserati
Buick Reatta
Oldsmobile Trofeo
GM "Dustbuster" minivan (Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV)
Mazda 929
Acura Legend
Subaru XT6
Cadillac Allante
Cadillac Catera
Plymouth Arrow (bonus points for Fire Arrow)
Merkur Scorpio
Triumph Spitfire

Now, if you really want to make us happy, go for the hard-to-find stuff. You know, Borgwards Hansas, Renault 12s, Kaiser Mahnhattens, that sort of thing.

I actually have a Merkur Scorpio that is sitting here waiting for me to decide its fate. I actually was considering crushing it for the scrap metal unless somebody wanst to make me an offer on it. I'm in Columbia S.C.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

richw wrote:

Hey Guys, now that Lemons is coming to NJ next year, I'm dragging my buddies along.  Well I'm not dragging them they are coming rather easily.  I'm starting to look for a vehicle of some sorts.  My question is, what's more lemony? 

I read a post from Judge Phil saying that he wants to see more v12 german barges, but they scare the ever-loving poop out of me.  Same thing with jag motors and their stellar reputation for reliability (and I've read that chevy 350's haven't faired very well either).  I know absolutely nothing about bugs, but they seem to be inherently simple (seem being the operable word). 

I don't want to be cheaty and get something that's all that common, but then again I guess common stuff is common for a reason. 

I'm kinda leaning towards a bug, especially in light of the fact that pre-bent cages are available, and it's perceived simplicity, but I don't know if it's lemony enough.

Of those you mention only Jaguar has a history of winning the real 24 hour race.. 5 times..
  There are plenty of low cost Jaguars XJ-S   V12's   They have the potential to be real winners..
  Get the oldest one you can.. 1976 to about 1980 are the best ones to race!
Ask and I'll explain why..
For nice wide wheels use Corvette rims.. Too wide and you'll have to space them with a spacer plus build fender flairs. Only slightly too wide and you can use a hydraulic jack and a couple of 2x4's   (that should get you 2-3 more inches pretty easy.).
The Jag can lose over 1000 pounds from stock with nothing more complex than a sawzall.  (door.bonnet and trunk skins instead of actaul doorsbonets and trunk lids will save a big part of that.. eliminate the A/C heater, upholstery, seats, carpet etc.. eliminate all glass except windscreen..
  There are three weaknesses to fix on the Jag..
first the factory rubber hoses are junk.. replace them. 
Second all the electical problems can be traced back to poor ground connections.. clean the ground to bare metal and solder! (there's about a zillion differant grounds).   
  Third the factory radiator is fine with a little modification to the water manifold.  Restrict water flow from the front cylinders and leave the back ones wide open..

Loren wrote:

What if you took a Robin and grafted a nice two-wheeled front suspension to it?  Certainly not the craziest feat to be attempted in the name of Lemons racing.

Only problem is, the Mr. Bean Mini would have no way to tip it over every lap.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

My vote is the bug... But hey everyone has thier favorite.  Zackreligious is right bring two of everything and expect one of them to work.  I would stick with the bug for one reason.  Lemons is won or at least classes and IOE is won by cars that are consistant not fast or sexy but consistant.  If you can keep it on the track you can win.  We won the ugly class in Colorado this year just because we could swap a motor in 45 min and kept going, do that with a Jag wink.  I would shy away from anything that is not part of the keep it simple mantra.
Good luck.  If you need any advice on how to set up a bug drop me a line. 
Little Buckaroo.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Little Buckaroo wrote:

My vote is the bug... But hey everyone has thier favorite.  Zackreligious is right bring two of everything and expect one of them to work.  I would stick with the bug for one reason.  Lemons is won or at least classes and IOE is won by cars that are consistant not fast or sexy but consistant.  If you can keep it on the track you can win.  We won the ugly class in Colorado this year just because we could swap a motor in 45 min and kept going, do that with a Jag wink.  I would shy away from anything that is not part of the keep it simple mantra.
Good luck.  If you need any advice on how to set up a bug drop me a line. 
Little Buckaroo.

Jag Engine swaps in 45 minutes can be done if that's your goal.(once all the nonracing stuff is removed)The V12 engine and trans is 1000+ pounds so use a strong hoist! 
  Myself I would put the effort into making the engine reliable so a swap isn't needed..
It's not as hard as some seem to think.. Use a Pre HE engine.. it's simple, easier, and in racing far more reliable than the later ones..  If the basic engine is solid  the focus needs to be on wiring which is the real weakness of Jaguars.. 
Improve the cooling system by semi restricting coolant flow out of the water manifolds at the front cylinders. Pull the core out of the thermostats
Replace all the Hoses.. Jaguars have junk rubber..  make sure that radiator is a clean as a whistle.  The Bonnet is remarkably heavy and not required. so eliminate it! Same with the trunk lid..  Take the door skins off and use those.. You'll save nearly 100 pounds per door!
Use the later XJ40 rear brakes (outboard)  easier to bleed, less heat at the diff and under the fuel tank.
It's possible to get the weight down to 3000 pounds without a lot of effort, 300 hp and 3000 pounds?  Should be reasonable..

I also like seeing luxury cars out there...... King Henry V8th was sweet at Arse Sweat.....so was the Benz S600 at Arse Freeze.... 

I saw a sweet 80's full size chevy station wagon today...complete with woody side panels....too bad the "vacation" theme is a bit played out....

Since Acura Legends are needed...how about a Sterling!!!!  Thats even better!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

How lemony is an ex-SCCA bug eye Sprite with a gazillion miles on it?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"