Re: bending the rules

what can you do to a drum-brake beetle with a 1600dp pancake to make it cheaty?

Machine it to accept Chevy hydraulic lifters. Lightweight flywheel. Webers. Electronic ignition. Fiberglass body pieces. Rotary conversion. Coilovers.

But a junkyard turbo is NOT cheaty if done improperly enough.

crazymike wrote:

Sort of stealing the topic - but what can you do to a drum-brake beetle with a 1600dp pancake to make it cheaty?

Swap the body onto an E30 M3 chassis?

Showroom-quality restoration?

.... Yeah, those are the only things I'm coming up with.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

Showroom-quality restoration?

What's cheaty about that?  Sounds like a "theme" to me.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Judge Phil wrote:

However, my liquor cabinet is very well-stocked with whiskey of all sorts. Having just gone out for Hungarian food last night, I've realized that I have absolutely zero Eastern/Central European-style fruit brandy in stock. No cherry brandy, no slivovice, no rakia! Hint, hint.

You need to put out the call for some authentic South Louisiana cherry bounce. It's not clear like most of the Euro liquors of that ilk, but it will still light you up. My in-laws have made it for years using some time-worn method that involves burying the bottle of locally-grown cherries and some sort of mash (probably made of fermented pig something or other, since all good food in Louisiana seems to devolve either from shellfish, swamp, or pig, or a combination thereof) in the ground under the front porch for a winter or two.

Surely the shrimp & boots guys can take care of this need for you...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

However, my liquor cabinet is very well-stocked with whiskey of all sorts. Having just gone out for Hungarian food last night, I've realized that I have absolutely zero Eastern/Central European-style fruit brandy in stock. No cherry brandy, no slivovice, no rakia! Hint, hint.

You need to put out the call for some authentic South Louisiana cherry bounce. It's not clear like most of the Euro liquors of that ilk, but it will still light you up. My in-laws have made it for years using some time-worn method that involves burying the bottle of locally-grown cherries and some sort of mash (probably made of fermented pig something or other, since all good food in Louisiana seems to devolve either from shellfish, swamp, or pig, or a combination thereof) in the ground under the front porch for a winter or two.

Surely the shrimp & boots guys can take care of this need for you...

Dude I ain't never heard of this stuff. Sounds good though. I did bring, for a bribe, a jar of pickled pigs feet last race. I don't think it got me anywhere and I don't believe they tried it. God know's I wouldn't.

We do have an extra special treat lined up this time if it works out.

EriktheAwful wrote:

what can you do to a drum-brake beetle with a 1600dp pancake to make it cheaty?

Machine it to accept Chevy hydraulic lifters. Lightweight flywheel. Webers. Electronic ignition. Fiberglass body pieces. Rotary conversion. Coilovers.

But a junkyard turbo is NOT cheaty if done improperly enough.

Thanks for the wisdumb and hope!

-- the engine came from the "two-guys will haul" dudes across the street, who asked me "What do ya' know 'bout Air-Cooled Volvo Motors?"
- as it sits it has Pontiac Sunfire injection and a turbo off of something unknown frankensteined on...
I got it b4 I got the bug in which to put it because it was such a lemony thing as I couldn't pass up on -- and it was only $200 :-)
The bug is an ex nostalgia drag car with a spool and not enough funk other than 1/8" of paint over bondo. It should handle like crap and it's short-geared.
I have a theme that *should* be more than unimpressive, but not as good as Eyesore does.

32 (edited by Mulry 2010-11-07 09:52 PM)

shrimpandboots wrote:

Dude I ain't never heard of this stuff. Sounds good though. I did bring, for a bribe, a jar of pickled pigs feet last race. I don't think it got me anywhere and I don't believe they tried it. God know's I wouldn't.

We do have an extra special treat lined up this time if it works out.

Seriously? Damn! I'm trying to remember what kind of cherries they said that they use for it. Maybe choke cherries?

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/200 … erica.html

My wife says that her paw-paw was in charge of making it every couple years and it was used in her family for "medicinal purposes" for the girls when, ahem, you know. Cramps, that sort of thing. Ah, booze, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

You should bring them some good hogshead cheese. I love that stuff. Just used the last of our venison & alligator sausage in gumbo this weekend, have to get more when we're in N'awlins at Christmas...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Okay you improved the cars handling to make it more fun for your team to drive.....sure you went over budget...but you aren't shooting for a high placing anyway....so really who cares...you could get hit with a penalty, but will have more fun driving the car...& isn't that what matters......  I'd say install all the suspension stuff and work on a killer theme and get a nice bribe and go for it.....  No sense trying to hide it...they WILL find it and then your gonna get hosed!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2