Topic: Acceptable fuel "cell" RCI Tank

I have read the rules:

The fuel-tank area must be totally separated from the driving compartment. For example, if the fuel tank is in the trunk area, any openings between the trunk and the cockpit must be permanently sealed with bolted, riveted, or welded metal panels. OE fuel tanks that are separate from, and located completely below, the trunk floor or rear-cabin floor are acceptable. If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA-certified fuel cell with all related compliant fittings must be used.

This is what I am considering. This is not my build but one similar.
There will be 2 firewalls between Driver and RCI Fuel tank and an outside frame of the car as well as reinforcement around the tank.
http://tachedout.com/picupload/gemini_363.jpg
http://tachedout.com/picupload/gemini_sept001.jpg

Thoughts?

Re: Acceptable fuel "cell" RCI Tank

Looks wonderfully technical and expensive!  Maybe an old tyre fender or barge bouy hanging on the rear of the car will protect you from a rear end shunt and fireball!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Like I said not my project but something similar as for the back end not to build "Nerf bars" but planning on caging the cell with smaller tube or 1x1

i would be concerned with heating the fuel. this picture shows the cell on the intake side. still, cell in the engine bay doesnt seem the safest.

take pictures of your car, and send them to john at evilgeniusracing dat com
he is the go to guy for tech. he is very helpful.

why dont you put the cell elsewhere? like the front?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

If that were my car, I'd definitely build a bulkhead between the cell and the engine, even if it would pass tech as photographed. You just don't want fuel hitting that hot engine in the event of a collision and the bulkhead would be very cheap insurance. If there's room for that square tube, there's room for a bulkhead. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, talk to John. Just be aware (if you're not already) that there's probably nothing that gets greater scrutiny in tech than fuel tank mods.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

@Hoonatic no room up front there is a motor there.
As for heat it really is not an issue as the cell will be completely boxed in and over 12 inches from any exhaust pipe and heat shielded.

bastard! i have the same build going on with a CRX. my cell is in the passenger seat with firewall all around it

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Tee Hee......I was wondering when you would burst on that John!  hmmmmmmm sounds like you guys need to get together and get your plans into fruition!!!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

oh gawd....2 of these builds going on now?!?!?!?! This should be interesting.  Time for a new class D...."mechanically insane and unnecessary".

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

bastard! i have the same build going on with a CRX. my cell is in the passenger seat with firewall all around it

I considered that as well and it may end up there

ChrisTFE wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I considered that as well and it may end up there

the word from Nick directly is if it is where i am putting it, it must be FIA certified AND sealed behind a firewall. i don't know about inside engine bays. like i said, fuel heating is really scary stuff. i thought about the roof, but that make it top heavy, and rather catastrophic in a roll over.

you're shitting me, right? dual engines?

oh, love the 74 pinto gas tank arrangement. you haven't seen the big CRX collision under yellow @ Autobahn yet, have you?

Serj wrote:

you're shitting me, right? dual engines?

oh, love the 74 pinto gas tank arrangement. you haven't seen the big CRX collision under yellow @ Autobahn yet, have you?

link?

my CRX survived Altamont, so it's got that going for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAt_wq0hzVc

there's outside pics in some of the autobahn galleries. basically the back bumper's somewhere between the shock towers now. Just sayin I think I'd rather sit with a fuel tank in the passenger seat than wedging it in the space between the engine and the back bumper.

I wouldn't drive that car weith the tank in the engine bay unprotected.  That reaks of instant death.  Sorry.  I vote for the passenger seat area, sealed off.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

@Serj I was at Autobahn and witnessed it first hand.
That collision was a little extreme to be considered for normal contact.  Lets not get off subject here but you can not use that as an example with the conditions and cow catcher on the offending car.  I mean that was like a 60 MPH impact,  Like pulling out of the blend line and cutting off a car.  Or trying to fix a Zip tie under yellow...  Horrible example of what ifs, but possible.  And if the Cage had a Tie bar across towers or back stays to the rear wall of the car the damage would have been significantly different but possible more damaging to the driver.

I also vote for passenger area but was considering options for the easiest way to fill/and keep the fuel away from myself.
Although passenger seat will balance the car out and not keep the back end heavy or top heavy.

ChrisTFE wrote:

@Serj I was at Autobahn and witnessed it first hand.
That collision was a little extreme to be considered for normal contact.  Lets not get off subject here but you can not use that as an example with the conditions and cow catcher on the offending car.  I mean that was like a 60 MPH impact,  Like pulling out of the blend line and cutting off a car.  Or trying to fix a Zip tie under yellow...  Horrible example of what ifs, but possible.  And if the Cage had a Tie bar across towers or back stays to the rear wall of the car the damage would have been significantly different but possible more damaging to the driver.

I also vote for passenger area but was considering options for the easiest way to fill/and keep the fuel away from myself.
Although passenger seat will balance the car out and not keep the back end heavy or top heavy.

i'm building a box around it, but have it so you must open the passenger door to fill the cell. that should speed refueling, though with this car, i'm just doubling my chances for blown headgaskets