Re: Numbers.

VKZ24 wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

I don't agree that is should even be considered a family event.  I have seen LOTS of stuff at CMP that wasn't suitable for a child, but then again I don't think children should be allowed...probably because I don't have any, and they annoy me.  wink  My favorite was at the fall race of 2008 when a team drove around the paddock with a giant inflatable d*ck on the roof of their car.  The rear spoiler had text that read "We race hard".  LOL!

I'd like to take a minute to  see if it's possible to have you reconsider your position regarding Children attending racing events..
Please take a long view of this..
  If what we do is going to continue new people have to join us..
WE are already restrictive in that only gear heads would think this was fun.. a lot of people would rather play golf or go to a baseball game..
Then we demand that since the chance of success is so difficult the people who do come have a good dense of humor. They have to be serious enough to do things well with regard to safety yet not so wacko that they can't be trusted at racing speeds..  that weeds the field even further.
IF we further  demand that all racers either be too young to have children or batcherlors who don't like children the potential field gets too small. PLus  not all adults like vulgarity or crudeness..
One final point.. the best way to create new interest is with children of parents who are brought to the event see enjoyment we get from it. They tell other kids and maybe the parents of those kids come race with us.. Worse case we have a whole ne generation to pass on the enjoyment we all feel..
  IN case you believe that to be to self sacraficing for your taste, think of it in greedy terms.
  Limiting those who attend to people who believe exactly as you do would make racing at this level too expensive.  It's far better to share the costs with more than less.   
Sermon over  smilesmile

I shared my opinion, and you shard yours on the subject.  We can agree to disagree.  FWIW, I'll take the kids over censorship of a theme because of some PC crap that offends one group or the other.

Fair enough.. we agree to disagree on the subject..
Mind you I'm not telling you you can't.
I'm suggesting you use your discreation.. That's differant from censorship..
  Discreation is why you don't have sex with your girlfriend in public places where children are.   Censorship is the law that arrests you if you lack that descretion. 
  I don't have anything against adult humor.. I tell adult off color jokes and etc with anyone.. However everything has it's time and place..

VKZ24 wrote:

]
I shared my opinion, and you shard yours on the subject.  We can agree to disagree.  FWIW, I'll take the kids over censorship of a theme because of some PC crap that offends one group or the other.

Like the Miami Che  debacle? Damn Cubans are a bunch of sourpusses. And the track management are some spineless MF'ers.

Lemons is starting to get a lot of coverage: CNN @ BFE, ATR @ MSR, SEMA, and Discovery Canada

It would suck if they had to blur your whole car, or worse, some higher-up cut the whole segment.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

BoB wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
Mulry wrote:

FWIW, the main criteria that is considered when a team applies for a variance on the white-on-black/black-on-white numbering rule is if the number will be highly visible to the corner workers on track. We used white on cash-money-green in our first race and Jay was fine with that after some initial dickering over colors and placement.

Actually If what was written was read,, you'll note the car is black and thus the only option was white numbers which was exactly what I said I would do as per the rules..
The only question was who assigned the numbers and what limits  were there with regard other signage. (actully much of that was a blatant attempt at humor)..

Hard to give a good specific ruling on what is acceptable, but common sense should work.  As long as the cars number is clear and distinguishable in 3 spots on the car and the other signs you put on the car can not be mistaken for the number or confuse the corner workers it will be ok.

So say your number is 12 inches and white and all your other text is 6 inches and red, no problem, but if your number is 12 inches and white and your other signage is 11" and white and sometimes consist of numbers that are not your racing number, probably not ok.

No one will be able to tell you if it is really fine until its on the car, but like I said common sense should make it pretty clear what is within the rules and what isn't

That makes a lot of sense. I'll make sure that the number is the only thing white and use another color to have fun etc..

Mulry wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:

Edit:  also, seems like I remember someone saying you couldn't have leading zeros in you car number.  For example:  If you had a James Bond theme, you couldn't do 007, only 7.  Can't seem to find anything on this in the rules.  Did I dream this up?

I'm pretty sure that you're right about that. I think it has something to do with the fact that the timing/scoring software can't handle leading zeroes. Same thing with 4-digit numbers. Might also not be Y2K compatible smile

May I take it then that you are using the automated system most racing organizations do?  (a sendor in the car activates a sensor on the track and everything regarding lap times etc. is automatically recorded? I wonder how NASCAR does it  since I believe most software is common.
Then the only need for numbers is to allow the track to communicate with the driver.. Car 17 is black flagged,  car 21 is ignoring the blue flag . and car 97 is leaking oil.. (sort of communication)

31 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-12 05:54 AM)

komododave wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

I'd like to take a minute to  see if it's possible to have you reconsider your position regarding Children attending racing events..
Please take a long view of this..
  If what we do is going to continue new people have to join us..
WE are already restrictive in that only gear heads would think this was fun.. a lot of people would rather play golf or go to a baseball game..
Then we demand that since the chance of success is so difficult the people who do come have a good dense of humor. They have to be serious enough to do things well with regard to safety yet not so wacko that they can't be trusted at racing speeds..  that weeds the field even further.
IF we further  demand that all racers either be too young to have children or batcherlors who don't like children the potential field gets too small. PLus  not all adults like vulgarity or crudeness..
One final point.. the best way to create new interest is with children of parents who are brought to the event see enjoyment we get from it. They tell other kids and maybe the parents of those kids come race with us.. Worse case we have a whole ne generation to pass on the enjoyment we all feel..
  IN case you believe that to be to self sacraficing for your taste, think of it in greedy terms.
  Limiting those who attend to people who believe exactly as you do would make racing at this level too expensive.  It's far better to share the costs with more than less.   
Sermon over  smilesmile

Not just gear heads think this is fun.  I wouldn't condsider myself a gear head now, maybe aspiring gearhead, and I certainly wasn't when we started.  We loved cars and hanging out with great people and had no mechanics skills at all.  Bought a running car, busted the car, tried to fix it, couldn't, and just enjoyed the race.  We had a blast and only made 20 laps the first time.  We're learning a ton with each event.  Just did an engine rebuild for the first time this last week.  It's a wierd demographic for sure, serious racers who don't take themselves seriously, but there is enough growth that in 2 years, the amount of races has more than doubled.  And I really doubt if Jay and crew are worried about "growing the brand" so to say.  People who love it are going to find it.

Kids come anyways, tons of 'em.  I don't see many people restricting their children from R rated movies.  Most kids know every swear word by the time they're 8 because of Dad yelling it at whatever team just fumbled the ball on "Holy Sunday" (I did).  It's how parents teach and explain the words/images that make the difference.  Yes, some parents want to sheild their children until they're 38 but most don't.  I haven't seen that much outrageously blatent sexual/explicit content from racers, no more than your average major league sport event or TBS movie.  Yes, there is the odd dildo on the bumper, but everything is done in good fun and, like has been said before, Jay and crew will censor your shizzle if they feel it crosses a line.  Good rule of thumb:  If you don't want your kid seeing it, don't put it on the car.  There are plenty of tame but fantastic themes out there (talk to Eyesore) so have fun with it.  Yippee Kay Yay, Mr. Falcon.

Wait....you think we take this seriously???  There was a drunken BBQ where Jay and Nic were arguing about whose K body could go faster.  When the beer ran out, they challenged each other to see who could bring home a keg first, and thus Lemons was born.

When I call people like myself gearheads I mean that they like cars.. I don't think its a requirement to be a mechanic to like cars,
As for having fun Clearly.. as I said the chance of success is too limited to take this racing seriously. It's great that the organizors recognizing the potential for anger choose to be proactive in defusing it.. Hense the theme and selection process based on apparent humor..  Too bad others couldn't use that.
Finally yes unfortunately some kids are exposed to adult themes and as a result there are a lot of issues which are negative..
  It's overly simple to say that some kid saw something adult or heard adult language and that's why he/she's messed up. The reality is differant.. most kids are latch key kids because parents work.. thus they are unsupervised for a significant portion of the day..
I just feel that as a responsible adult it's my duty to avoid making things worse.  So I'll try to do stuff which is humorous but not offencive. It's what my grandmother taught me.. (sermon over)

OMGuar wrote:

Then the only need for numbers is to allow the track to communicate with the driver.. Car 17 is black flagged,  car 21 is ignoring the blue flag . and car 97 is leaking oil.. (sort of communication)

Not exactly. Transponders can fail. In that case, you may have your laps manually added to the timing software. I'm not sure how every track handles it, but I know that in the gulf region if it's only one or two cars, they won't always pull the car off the track for a failed transponder, and will try to make sure that all the laps are recorded.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Lemons is starting to get a lot of coverage: CNN @ BFE, ATR @ MSR, SEMA, and Discovery Canada

It would suck if they had to blur your whole car, or worse, some higher-up cut the whole segment.

This is probably the best reason to use some plain old common sense. I'm less concerned about offending one or two people than I am about doing something that could have a negative impact on the series.

OMGuar wrote:
Mulry wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:

Edit:  also, seems like I remember someone saying you couldn't have leading zeros in you car number.  For example:  If you had a James Bond theme, you couldn't do 007, only 7.  Can't seem to find anything on this in the rules.  Did I dream this up?

I'm pretty sure that you're right about that. I think it has something to do with the fact that the timing/scoring software can't handle leading zeroes. Same thing with 4-digit numbers. Might also not be Y2K compatible smile

May I take it then that you are using the automated system most racing organizations do?  (a sendor in the car activates a sensor on the track and everything regarding lap times etc. is automatically recorded? I wonder how NASCAR does it  since I believe most software is common.

In nascar car 00 is technically car 100, same with 01 is 101 etc.

Lemons used to allow 01, adn I thought you could still put a leading 0 on the car if you are car 1 to make it 01 for your dukes of hazard theme.  I think they just stopped allowing 1 and 01 to be in the race as different cars because it was causing some confusion with the corner workers.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

OMGuar wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. I'll make sure that the number is the only thing white and use another color to have fun etc..

That would work but I wouldn't want to stifle your artistic vision.  There are other ways around it to, like the warpony suggested putting the number in a gumball or rectangle would make it pretty obvious what is the number.  With my car I ended using all those to keep it straight.  Since the theme had the car be a shade of purple I wanted make sure the numbers were clear so used the gumball.  The theme ended up having us use gold metalic paint which once we started painting we couldn't stop ourselves, so lots of text and numbers ended up being gold, and since we were righting lots of stuff it was smaller.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

35 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-12 10:42 AM)

Zachreligious wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

Not exactly. Transponders can fail. In that case, you may have your laps manually added to the timing software. I'm not sure how every track handles it, but I know that in the gulf region if it's only one or two cars, they won't always pull the car off the track for a failed transponder, and will try to make sure that all the laps are recorded.
  IT's nice if a event could do that,  tracks I've been at lately will simply not time/count the laps of someone who's transponder isn't working and normally black flag them. Personally I would like to run without a transponder since the chance of a "win" is virturally non-existant. 

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

This is probably the best reason to use some plain old common sense. I'm less concerned about offending one or two people than I am about doing something that could have a negative impact on the series.

I agree. I would like to see monthly events for cars of this nature.. all across the country at virtually every race track.  Limited by cost rather than by rules..
Personally I wouldn't object to say short sprint series where 30-40 cars at a time go out and run 10-15 laps.   Top half of the field is group 1 and  bottom 1/2 group 2 then they go out and run a 2 hour event.. for group one and a 2 hour event for group 2 Top half group A bottom 1/2 Group B  Then all 4 groups go out and run for class finish in a 6 hour enduro..
That would provide much the same track time in a differant format.. Focused on sprint rather than survival.
total points for the season would be the goal rather than focus on a single race..

36 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-12 11:08 AM)

BoB wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

That would work but I wouldn't want to stifle your artistic vision.  There are other ways around it to, like the warpony suggested putting the number in a gumball or rectangle would make it pretty obvious what is the number.  With my car I ended using all those to keep it straight.  Since the theme had the car be a shade of purple I wanted make sure the numbers were clear so used the gumball.  The theme ended up having us use gold metalic paint which once we started painting we couldn't stop ourselves, so lots of text and numbers ended up being gold, and since we were righting lots of stuff it was smaller.

The chassis That I'll use is already Black.  that define the number color..  I suppose I could paint a white circle and use a black number but my personal taste doesn't like that combination..
  I have some gold decals for the engine  (V12) done like the factory emblem on the trunklid.  So that will dictate the rest of the color scheme.. Sort of a Lotus 72 color combination..
  I'm not sure what sort of nonsense I want to use for sponsership.  Since the car is black I'm tempted to make it a funeral parlor.. Suxemdry and Bones funeral parlor?  tasteless enough?  maybe put a little coffin on the trunklid?  Play a dirge whenever the car came in the pits. (and when the car expires)   
I thought about a pirate theme with the skull and crossbones but it simply wasn't tacky enough.. nor did it give me any sort of originality kick..

I've seen several themes that I didn't personally care for, but that's just me... and they were probably going for the "ew" factor anyway.
I'm more offended by people who don't watch their kids in the pits... I believe it was T-hill where Jay was about to chase ALL kids out of the whole track/county because they weren't supervised, and some were .... being in the way.
(let's not even go to where I was expected to watch one of our driver's kids when he was out on the track......ahem.)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Well some peoples kids,, tssk tssk..
  Actually that says more about the parents than the kids themselves.. however without proper parenting those kids grow up and become well,... what they are..
   I wish I could claim my children were always perfect..  I can't.  I'm not perfect so I guess I can't blame my kids..
Yes, I once went to a race and asked a fellow competitors wife to watch my daughter for the 20 minutes I was on the race track.. IN retrospect I should have had my own wife there or left my daughter with my wife.
Sigh!! hindsight is 20-20!