Re: Disc brake issues

dculberson wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

I have the calipers from a ZR-1 Corvette on my Cavalier Z24

Really?

That is really awesome if so.

Yes sir it is true.  I bought a set of used ZR-1 calipers off the Covette Forum and I'm using 13" rotors on the front and 12" rotors in the rear.  The rears were easy, just removed the drums and added a plate to bolt on the caliper.  The fronts were quite involved, but I modified the stock spindles using only used a drill, grinder, porting bit, and welder to do it.  I have about 4,000 miles of HPDE track time on the setup and it works great.  One thing I don't have...brake fade!  Here is a pic of the fronts installed on the car...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/IMG_0099.jpg

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Well damn, that's amazing.  How much did the parts set you back, if you don't mind asking?  That would be quite a fun upgrade to keep in mind.  Are the calipers aluminum?

Another source for parts that might be fun is the LS400s.  1995-1997 model years are 4-piston aluminum calipers with 12.5" rotors.  1998-2000 are 4-piston monoblock aluminum calipers, still 12.5" rotors, I think.  But the Corvette parts are probably more performance oriented, plus race pads would be a lot easier to come by.

Congrats on an awesome upgrade!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

rockwood wrote:

Where are the bleeder screws on the kit?  My CNC disc brake kit for my dune buggy has the bleeders pointing towards the middle of the vehicle.  In order to bleed properly, I have to remove them, turn the bleeder screw up, then bleed as normal.  Bleeding them mounted to the vehicle, no matter how long I try, results in exactly what you're experiencing.

This is just right. The kit has them toward the bottom of the piston which means all the air above it won't bleed out. Son of a.....
Can you just flip the calipers to the opposite side?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

dculberson wrote:

Well damn, that's amazing.  How much did the parts set you back, if you don't mind asking?  That would be quite a fun upgrade to keep in mind.  Are the calipers aluminum?

Another source for parts that might be fun is the LS400s.  1995-1997 model years are 4-piston aluminum calipers with 12.5" rotors.  1998-2000 are 4-piston monoblock aluminum calipers, still 12.5" rotors, I think.  But the Corvette parts are probably more performance oriented, plus race pads would be a lot easier to come by.

Congrats on an awesome upgrade!

Thanks!

I think I paid about $200 for all four calipers (yes they are aluminum) with mounting brackets the JY spindles were like $30 each.  If you are interested in how it's done I have a complete step by step photo documentation of the entire thing.

Regarding the calipers, they are actually made by PBR and were used on several cars like the 1LE Camaro, Corvette, and even the Mustang Cobra.  All these calipers are similar, but can be slightly different.  Ones for different model years of the Cobra had the same external dimensions, but different piston sizes.  I did the research and found that the calipers (J55 option code) for the Vette had the exact size dual pistons I need to equal the single piston of my stock caliper.  The end result was my stock master cylinder and ABS still work fine.

I recently built this similar kit using brand new Cobra (PBR) calipers from Ford racing to build a BBK for a friend's Probe GT...

http://home.comcast.net/~ntomfree/_images/probe_bbk4.jpg

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

komododave wrote:
rockwood wrote:

Where are the bleeder screws on the kit?  My CNC disc brake kit for my dune buggy has the bleeders pointing towards the middle of the vehicle.  In order to bleed properly, I have to remove them, turn the bleeder screw up, then bleed as normal.  Bleeding them mounted to the vehicle, no matter how long I try, results in exactly what you're experiencing.

This is just right. The kit has them toward the bottom of the piston which means all the air above it won't bleed out. Son of a.....
Can you just flip the calipers to the opposite side?

Yep, that will move the bleeder up if it's down. and vice-versa, assuming there aren't any other differences side to side.

31 (edited by jbbugs 2010-11-22 05:11 AM)

I've installed a few aftermarket disc brake kits on older VW's, and most of them needed a 2-lb residual valve installed inline to the rears to get a decent pedal. It's a night and day difference what that little device does for your pedal pressure.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-D … ,1377.html

J.B. Bugs Racing
1973 VW Super Beetle....Yeah,yeah I know - It's Not a racecar.
2010 Horas de Cuba del Norte -First in class C, The Ugly, 23rd overall!