Re: Doors/Sheet Metal Chopdown Rule Updates?

JThw8 wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

My car's getting more competitive as we speak.  Stll has all bumpers and sheet metal.  All of the cut down cars just got a little slower/ DQ'd.

Lemons is getting more like the SCCA every day.  wink

But the funny part it's the competitors trying to make it that way.  Jay and Co try to keep a relatively simple, common sense approach to the rules and everyone starts to overthink it and loophole it to death requiring the expansion and "SCCAization" of the ruleset.

But that's exactly why Lemons WORKS. In the end, it's Organizers Choice. With nothing at stake for the vast majority of drivers in this series (perceptions be damned), this is the chance to go RACING in cars that aren't, in most cases, meant to.

Sure, you can be obsessive about it and bring your 'A' game as a racer/team, but there are only a few teams that are both competitive in the 'win the race on laps' sense, and 'get it' as far as the spirit of this stupid series goes (you'd think I would know better after 16 races, but oh well...).

As far as the rule book goes, and the teams trying to angle their way to a win, it ain't gonna happen.
The rules are mostly there at this point to keep Jay/Nick from having to answer a hundred emails between races, and from people being surprised/angry when their Black Iron Racing-style cut down E30 fails tech.

Wacky stuff will always get some leeway, as it should be.
You don't have to be a proper mentalist like Speedycop, but have fun with it...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Markdas wrote:

It was John who gave us a damn good teching!  Actually I don't think any of the judges noticed that we have about 18" chopped out of the roofline of our E30/El Camino wanna be.....Steve is now referring to some adjustment to the rear -boot (I think you call it the truck) area......Im pretty sure we are not either compromising any crumple zones and in fact we are planning to add a couple of extensions to the roll cage that will improve that, without creating any hazard for other drivers.  We are effectively getting rid of the area that held golf clubs in its former life.....and Steve loves to weld these days!

Hey, wait a minute.  We have trademarked the E30 pickup (the Bavarian Ranchero) and I haven't licensed any copies.

BuFord

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

BuFord wrote:

Hey, wait a minute.  We have trademarked the E30 pickup (the Bavarian Ranchero) and I haven't licensed any copies.

Ranchero / Camino.....tomato / potato.  But did yours have gullwings?!

BTW your Bavarian Ranchero was super smooth smile

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

104 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-12-14 10:22 AM)

JThw8 wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

My car's getting more competitive as we speak.  Stll has all bumpers and sheet metal.  All of the cut down cars just got a little slower/ DQ'd.

Lemons is getting more like the SCCA every day.  wink

But the funny part it's the competitors trying to make it that way.  Jay and Co try to keep a relatively simple, common sense approach to the rules and everyone starts to overthink it and loophole it to death requiring the expansion and "SCCAization" of the ruleset.

i was actually (jokingly) referring to the idea of becoming more competitive through rules changes that DQ/slow down your competition.

i think racers in any series are going to bend the rules as far as they can to gain an advantage.  and even though most Lemons folks "don't care about winning," i'd bet that many or most still want to win, and will do what they can to achieve that goal.  i sure want to win on laps one of these times, but it doesn't ruin my weekend when we come up short.

in addition, Lemons has always celebrated things that push the boundaries a little, so that sort of stuff is inevitable.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11