Re: Various questions on my Most Stupid Idea build

The fuel cell location on Indycars is directly behind the driver with just a carbon-fiber bulkhead separating them. They have a very good record at not having drivers burned.

A complete tank assembly made by the same company that builds them for Swift Engineering or Dallara or Panoz should be acceptable, but I am not a Judge or Tech Inspector for this series.

Mulry wrote:

I really wonder what was the rationale behind this rule change. I don't think we've had any problems so far in this series with fuel cells rupturing next to drivers, have we? Not that we want to push it, but a lot of the fun engine swap projects are going to go from difficult to near-impossible if you can't put a fully-enclosed fuel cell in the passenger seat area. Seems like a fuel cell in the passenger seat area is infinitely more safe than one in front of the driver. I dunno.

I think they're looking for a clear, safe passenger side egress path. A fuel cell is a pretty damned big thing to crawl over, with a bunch of nasty bits on top for you to kick off and douse yourself in gasoline.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

I think they're looking for a clear, safe passenger side egress path. A fuel cell is a pretty damned big thing to crawl over, with a bunch of nasty bits on top for you to kick off and douse yourself in gasoline.

Yea, but so is a motorcycle engine sitting in the same location.

EyeMWing wrote:

It would have to be in a metal enclosure, so no risk of kicking anything off, and I doubt the enclosure would be any higher than a window sill.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

twostrokev8 wrote:

The fuel cell location on Indycars is directly behind the driver with just a carbon-fiber bulkhead separating them. They have a very good record at not having drivers burned.

A complete tank assembly made by the same company that builds them for Swift Engineering or Dallara or Panoz should be acceptable, but I am not a Judge or Tech Inspector for this series.

Insurance will only right off FIA certified cells. In the US that means ATL or (that other company).
More to my dilemma, have you seen a CRX? how would you fit a motor in the trunk, someone 6ft behind the wheel, and a gas tank in between? Keep in mind, the exhaust on the motor would be to the front of the car, so you need sufficient insulation between the header and the tank.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John