101 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-07-27 07:01 AM)

Re: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

R-cubed - Check my blog at the link below - I posted the entry writeup, our write up is long, but its a good read.  I had no idea what to say actually - this is our 1st Lemons event.

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

We're in!  Saw a couple people from Oakland County.  Crap can convoy?

RobL wrote:

STS: GI Slow is in!

BTW - Who got #7?  What's it worth to you?

I took #7 it was the same number we had last year (of which I had first picked #19 but the Lemons Car 19 guys already had one person with a tattoo so I figured I'd give that one up).

Send me a PM or email about it and perhaps we can make an arrrangement, but I will say I kinda like it.

Waitlisted  : (

Our writeup wasn't far from the one posted here.  Plus our team is pretty complete.  Oh well.  Seems like teams that have done it before got in first, then if you had alot of previous track experience.

We're still gonna build the car, take it to some of the tracks here and beat the snot out of it if we don't get an open spot. 

So how many teams got in out of the 175 or so teams signed up?

Road Rage Racing - Lemons Division

105 (edited by atomicalex 2009-07-27 10:03 AM)

harddriveracing.com wrote:

We're in!  Saw a couple people from Oakland County.  Crap can convoy?

You, us, and Dawn of the Zed.

Our story.....

We were going to be "Fast guys, Rich guys, and Idiots,"* but we couldn't find anyone who was fast or rich.

And then Johnny got yet another phone call from the City of Berkley for having too many yard cars, so we decided that we would do some "community service" and fix one of them up. Mostly so the one PITA neighbor who kept making the bogus complaints would stop bitching.

Of course, one thing (beer) led to another (beer) and someone had the great idea that turning it into a racecar would somehow make it acceptable to the city. At that point, it occurred to us that a $200 yard car with a squeeze-bulb bicycle horn would be a great Lemons platform, and since all the other cars we looked at when we were going to be fast and rich didn't pan out, how fabulous for us!

That's how we got to be Doing Community Service. You should put us on the grid so there is (more) proof that yard cars are good for something, and so Johnny can have a famous car in his yard.

We bring to the paddock: a full beer fridge (and a generator to keep it cold), a female team captain who can actually drive (she only spun the Corvair once, and she writes for CarDomain.com), some Limoncello (this Italian lemon booze that we cook up), and a bunch of stupid smart people. Like, PhD smart, and still dumb enough to run this race. And a Volkswagen. You can never have too many Volkswagens. Johnny is proof of this. We also plan for a very attention-getting (read: distracting) pit board. Our graphics guy assures us of this. He knows some strippers.

*A famous book about racing cars. We may be stupid, but we’re not illiterate.

@oros - that was our plan all along - if we didn't get in, we would just build the thing anyway and beat on it at local track days. Either way, we would have a racecar and get to track it.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Team Police Brutality is in!
We plan to run a hybrid '67/'94 in SC and OH this fall. Should be interesting...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

107 (edited by King Arthur 2009-07-29 05:13 AM)

This is ours
In thee quest for thy Wholly Nickel Bags we happened upon thy "race"( mind thou, we seek monetary nickel bags, not implied contraband bags. seeing we work in a repair shop, we are subject to more than enough chemicals), our quest shall begin and end with you. With thee 1987 Government Motors Corporation/GMC/Trojan Rabbit we seek to enter thy midst and endure and conquer thy 24 hour Lemons. We shall be dressed the part, as well as our wenches. Watch out for catapulting animals as well as "THE HOLY HAND GRENADE". Of course thee round table shall be open to any organizers wishing to feast on the plentiful bounty provided from thee hunt. *For those needing clarity, our theme shall be Monty Python and the Holy Grail* You won't be disappointed.
                             Dave

Wow, we wrote a novel compared to some. hahah

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

109 (edited by bongle 2009-07-29 07:12 AM)

(One of) Ours:

60 years ago, a Corvette was a slow, ugly, uncomfortable, undesirable, unstable hunk of scrap built by the lowest bidder often with a cheesy name and crewed by people barely out of school.

It is time to bring those days back.

'Fresh' from the mighty shipyards of Alliston, Ontario comes this Civic-class Corvette. Powered by a dual-shaft 4-cylinder reciprocating engine, it can achieve speeds well in excess of 10 knots. Although the road salt has taken a toll on this vessel over its illustrious career as a Western Ontario commuter, it still puts up a strong fight against unoxidized iron, clean driveways, our sanity, and our neighbour's property values.

How it came to us
Near the end of its heroic service, it earned a citation for pollution of Admiral McGuinty's air, and drydock fees were going to be more than it was worth, so the previous owner put it up for sale. Before selling, the previous owner took it for a nostalgic last sail, at which point the rusty hoodlatch broke while underway, freeing the hood from the shackles that had held it down for so long and shattering the windshield.

Vital Statistics (this was a table, don't know how to format it for the forums)
Type:        Corvette
Displacement:    0.9 tons
Length:        13.3 ft (4.05 m)
Beam:        5.5 ft (1.7 m)
Draught:        Yes please
Propulsion:    2 driveshaft 5-speed piston engine (70-115hp)
Speed:        62mph (100km/h) under full sail with a tailwind and downhill
Vulnerable Against:    Rusty, not-fully-closed hood latches
Complement:    4 [peacetime] 1 [war]
Armor:        Mostly-oxidized, thin-as-possible sheetmetal
Decks:        String-on-paint simulated teak

We also put a decent amount of text into our picture.  Our picture had 3 different sub-pictures, each with captions.  I don't have it here at work though, so you'll have to imagine.  We also had 6 drivers with information fully filled out.

The other car's text application was fairly weak I felt (I'm bad at making jokes), but it had its roster filled out, had a picture, had a better paint job IMO than Team "Corvette" did, and had racing pedigree (had competed @ Toledo last year).

Our one for the beaver last year was arguably the best, but I must not have saved the text because I can't find it anywhere.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Thought I'd leave this link here too.  Nothing like this guy's scream before impact to make sure your roll cage is REAL tight. 

http://harddriveracing.com/?p=82

Of course this was in a Viper at Nelson Ledge...

The Viper did a classic Nelson' Ledges Turn 3 mistake.  He dropped a wheel to the outside then jerked the car back onto the track. The front's stick and the rears rotate on the grass and you go shooting across the track and into the tire wall on the right.

If you go off on the outside of Turn 3, stay there, don't pull back onto the track too soon.  There is plenty of room for you to drive straight ahead in the grass, slow down and THEN merge back onto traffic.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Love to see some pics of the Viper's damage.  I heard it wasn't bad but curious what he did to the car.