Re: Nitrous- not saying it's a good idea, but...

olaaf wrote:

ok, i reluctantly understand, i guess. it just seemed so simple in that movie, the fast and the furious.

yah - those movies are great for portraying ultimate urban legend.

I'm not saying Nitrous won't do what you imagine - in the on demand mode. (in the trickle mode it just doesn't pay off)

Now - nitrous is pretty common in a non-hard-contact form of racing - Where you basically activate it via a only-come-on-at-full-throttle kinda like an auto-trans kick-down... Oddly enough there are many forms of racing where it is used like that** - but again, those have a much less likely occurrence of car-to-car (and resulting very high-g) collision.

**Those would be like  Off road, Monster-truck, almost all forms of drag (include pulls and sand-hill climbs) - and even some hill-climb courses.

... I suspect the biggest risk is in this scenario:
collision. main regulator freezes open or cracks. feed line open somehow near source of oil/fuel/brake-fluid. Ignition.
A lot of what-ifs, but unfortunately for road racing, not enough.
...and because of the complete burn-down and speed of burn, our (typical track) safety response time wouldn't be adequate enough to make the insurance peoples very happy...

And again - REALLY - use the hollywood set-piece for your theme, really camp it up with panels and displays and fake bottles made up to look Fast-and-Furious - a Paxton blower made out of foam glued to the hod mad max style... You get the idea.

Under the hood, stick a 302.

Best if you can do this on a Pinto or Pacer!

Probably should have asked way long ago - what are you trying to get more HP out of (cheaply)?

I bet the Lemons community can come up with something...

29 (edited by olaaf 2010-12-22 09:48 PM)

we run a 4.6 2v crown vic (non police interceptor). An actual NYC taxi cab- 2004 model with 356k miles on the odo. DNF'ed Nelson in '09 (trans) and DNF'ed NOLA in '10 (engine limp mode), so naturally our problem will be fixed with more HP.. we need NOS!!!

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

crazymike wrote:
crazymike wrote:

Do you recall the HS chemlab where the teacher put the burning Steel wool in the flow of Oxygen? There was a wee bit of oil in the steel wool and it took out the front row.

This, by the way, is not an urban legend. It is why certain things aren't taught in HS chemistry any more. A VERY deadly and very sad mistake many years ago.

Anyone have a link to more info on this?  I have a morbid curiosity.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Would you put a tank of acetylene in your car and go out on track and race?

32 (edited by crazymike 2010-12-22 10:50 PM)

dculberson wrote:
crazymike wrote:
crazymike wrote:

Do you recall the HS chemlab where the teacher put the burning Steel wool in the flow of Oxygen? There was a wee bit of oil in the steel wool and it took out the front row.

This, by the way, is not an urban legend. It is why certain things aren't taught in HS chemistry any more. A VERY deadly and very sad mistake many years ago.

Anyone have a link to more info on this?  I have a morbid curiosity.

Unfortunately I can't find it... pre internet news is hard to source - it was upper midwest, or maybe great lakes - circa 1975-79

I seem to recall the teacher and a student or two may have died - but defintiely the "front row" was sent to the hospital - 8 or so injuries.
Our chem lab instructor had the newspaper clip and was proud to show it to us. (1978)
I recall that the O2 "container" was a glass flask and it exploded...

The Oil was the mystery component - as the burning steel wool thing is a pretty std lab experiment.

There are numerous "Safety Procedures" you gotta follow to do the old burning wool experiment... The most commonly accepted is to leave it in vinegar for "a couple of DAYS" - the burn container needs to be thoroughly inspected and not be a reduced-neck type, etc...

olaaf wrote:

ok, i reluctantly understand, i guess. it just seemed so simple in that movie, the fast and the furious.

Well, I guess you've now tagged up on your theme. Off to find the most horrible Mitsubishi Mirage or Eclipse you can lay your hands on, the cheapest riceboy body kit you can find & p1mp ze auto.

http://kakashi.joueb.com/images/2fast%202furious%20lancer%20front_t.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3mf3o03p95V65U25R2acl674aba5a0cd913b9.jpg
1994 Mitsubishi mirage 4 door - $750 (southern, me)
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2124497705.html

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

34 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-12-23 08:09 AM)

I didn't realize it would act as an oxidizer in a free atmosphere.  The propaganda from the NOS people is that it's totally safe because it will only break down to the oxygen compnent under the heat & pressure of the combustion chamber.
But if NOS is leaking under the hood, next to the burning carburetor, while the elec fuel pump is till ticking away....

Get the camera, this'll be good.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

nitrous wont burn green like the movie, but it will make any normal LeMon's fire too hot to extinguish. i have personal experience of a Chris Farley incident, where my NOS hose fitting broke at the bottle, while driving down the road. the full bottle emptied itself before i could pull all the way over and jump out of the car. the hose did whip around and hit me in the forehead when it popped, and i was too stoned to drive for about an hour.
Do you want that happening to you when the brakes on the limo fade and it nudges you in a turn?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

m610 wrote:

Would you put a tank of acetylene in your car and go out on track and race?

You mean we're not supposed to do that, either?!?
I've got some changes to make before tech...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

37 (edited by m610 2010-12-23 10:52 AM)

Just make sure you mount it horizontally and you'll be OK. wink

OK, no nitrous. Superchargers instead!

Really I just need more things that need switches.  I feel my car needs more switches that I can use while driving.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Really I just need more things that need switches.  I feel my car needs more switches that I can use while driving.

more switches?
http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Features/Billy-Johnsons-NSX-Time-Attack/IMG3200/706498867_FNeMU-L.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

41 (edited by pennintj 2010-12-23 11:38 AM)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
BoB wrote:

more switches?
http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Features/Billy-Johnsons-NSX-Time-Attack/IMG3200/706498867_FNeMU-L.jpg

There seems to be a fault in the Oreos & the RPG circuits...

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

No nitrous-  Its under high pressure,   the only high pressure container I will allow in a race car will contain fire suppressant, not accelerant...

Your question is answered, move on to the Previa SC, or two of 'em for your 4.6 in series,  now you're talking...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Flip the headers to point forward (modify as needed, use tubular manifolds, whatever), kludge pipe, crossover pipe, single T4 turbo, 10psi...it will make a hilarious amount of torque and you'll probably continue breaking stuff.  But it will be fast for the first __ laps of the race.  Get a big radiator, big oil cooler, big trans cooler, and big rear tires.  Brakes too, if you want, but they're just gonna slow you down.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

I know of people who put alchohol on their windshield washer res. and pum into the intake stream, usually AFTER the turbo to get a cooler burn and to bring A/F ratio down.  I'd imagine a 55 gallon drum strapped to the roof shoul be enough to get through a Lemons race.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

olaaf wrote:

we run a 4.6 2v crown vic (non police interceptor). An actual NYC taxi cab- 2004 model with 356k miles on the odo. DNF'ed Nelson in '09 (trans) and DNF'ed NOLA in '10 (engine limp mode), so naturally our problem will be fixed with more HP.. we need NOS!!!

http://www.murileemartin.com/LNOF10/Laissez10-0182.jpg

IMHO that car is almost perfect. Every time I saw it go by it made me laugh, especially when everyone went roaring past/around you. It was definitely one of the more memorable cars from the NoLa Race.

Fix the reliability issues, address the (lack of) handling, do some light engine mods for the 4.6 Modular & keep it going smile

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

Nick gave us a pass to run nitrous so long as we vented it through the dragon's nostrils big_smile

Evil Genius wrote:

No nitrous-  Its under high pressure,   the only high pressure container I will allow in a race car will contain fire suppressant, not accelerant...

Modify the roll cage tubing to hold pressure and have the necessary plumbing fittings.  It's already designed to be safe, right?

typHOON wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

Modify the roll cage tubing to hold pressure and have the necessary plumbing fittings.  It's already designed to be safe, right?

Just warn me before I drill an inspection hole.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I got approval from Jay for a jato kit for our 94 caddy.  Too bad we couldn't pull it off.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Evil Genius wrote:

Your question is answered, move on to the Previa SC, or two of 'em for your 4.6 in series,  now you're talking...

I've had a couple guys ask me if propane-fueled vehicles would be allowed to race. I guess some of their jeeps set up for rock crawling are able to switch from gas to propane to avoid fuel starvation at extreme inclines. Now I have a definitive answer for them. With all the gas leaks we witnessed at Gingerman what could possibly go wrong with a car hooptily converted to run on propane?

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"