Re: Why not to build a Z32

Grant , what happened to your engine?

The oil pressure gauge told us when we were 2.5-3 qts low, it would go down while accelerating around the long right sweepers but was rock solid when oil was up to proper levels... Thanks for the heads up.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Infinity, how large is the line from your oil pressure gauge to the engine? On our Z we used a -4an line which, in my past experiences, greatly increases the response time of the gauge. The small 1/8" copper or plastic lines will not show you accurate results, and the electric gauges do not respond quick enough either.

The #23 300ZX lost a head gasket just before the 10th hour. We also had an oil line blow off at the same time, not 100% sure if they were related, but it sure is an odd coincidence. People cheering as we were being towed off of the track was pretty lame in my opinion. Yeah we were quick, but we would never cheer when another racer had problems!

Your 150zx(half a 300 the way it looked..lol) was quite a quick car, those guys may have thought it was a temporary delay, enough to even the field? If its any condolence the beetle ran out of gas and was greeted with the same cheers while under tow.

Stock plastic line kit from the parts store.

What work was done to that thing? We are bone stock, never have had the plenum off.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Replace that plastic line with -4an (you will need a fitting for the back of the gauge and one to attach the -4an line to the oil pressure source). Your problem is being masked by the small line. While it may or may not be a fatal issue, it is certainly shortening the life of the engine.

We had the engine apart to put rod bearings in it. We disassembled the entire thing to just to clean it up and look things over. It has headers, 2 into one 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, and a custom air intake that I fabbed up as well. It also has some really noisy lifters! We concentrated on weight reduction and trying to make the suspension/brakes work as best as possible with the parts that we had.

What position were you running when it broke?

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

I would love to see or obtain a set of stock 300zx NA exhaust manifolds , the j30 ones are tiny.

Look for headers on ebay, they are only $65 or $70.

We had moved up from 69th starting position to 13th at the 9 hour mark. We broke just before the 10th hour so I am not sure exactly what position we were when we broke.