Re: I got a new Welding setup...

Serj wrote:

... we're close enough that if you wanna come by and tinker on my 180 I wouldn't mind having ya by, I don't have much of any kinda bench setup though, my practice welds used a brake caliper on the hood of my lemon as a bench, heh.

Serj, we should get together for sure.  Once I get it, maybe I could bring my MIG and we can compare them.  I will have mine within a week.  You should only be about an hour away.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I'm right off 75 near the Maumee river. not the best neighborhood in the world but im sure you've driven through much worse. I think maybe i should set something up as I've been hankering to build myself a custom workbench using some square tube and a cheap/mis-cut kitchen counter top from one of those home improvement warehouses. Be a good project to test the units with, for sure.

Serj wrote:

...not the best neighborhood in the world but im sure you've driven through much worse.

I drive through Detoilet on my way to work every day.  I think I can handle Toledo.  tongue

I'd love to help make a workbench.  It will be good practice.

'74 260Z

You'll have to bring me Lafayette Coney Island. Yum!

(now to go looking for materials)

Its really not that hard to do....I got a 10minute lesson from a friend. I have personally welded every weld on all 3 of are race cars. All have passed tech it just take a little time to get used to it...

If its not broke fix it till it is...

I just don't want to learn bad habits.  I figure a real welding class will (help) keep that from happening.

'74 260Z

Very true.  I took a class at my local tech school and while it was costly (I think $300 or so?) it was really good.  The instructor is a former pro welder - spent decades doing it day after day - and retired to be a high school shop teacher.  Great guy and wonderful teacher.  I got to experience really nice equipment and learned a ton of stuff about MIG and stick welding.  Definitely learned I like MIG a lot better than stick!  I still keep meaning to go back and take the TIG and advanced MIG classes.  Maybe if the old house ever sells and I stop having to make two mortgage payments...

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I camped out youtube videos and talked to my dad a lot on welding and practice and techniques. when he finally came up before the gingerman october race, he brought some scrap, and set up a few exercises for me. While he did give me a few pointers about my biggest achillies' heel (welding thick material to thin a la spreader plates to unibody) he actually was pretty impressed/excited by what i was able to do as an amateur given his pointers and my limited experience. Either this machine was making me look better or i studied the right youtube videos!

So Jeff; you get your MM140 yet? smile  I wanna goto the auto show this weekend maybe i should take that as an excuse to stop by...

Serj,  Yes, I got the HH140 and a helmet last weekend, but not the tank yet.  If I leave work a few minutes early today, I can make it to the welding supply place before they close.  I haven't even assembled the welder yet since I don't have gas and that it's cold in the garage.

I'm not exactly "on the way" to the NAIAS, but if you want to stop by, let me know.  I'm near 275 and 8 Mile, so at least you can go straight down 275 to get home.

'74 260Z

FWIW, the Tractor Supply store that's only 10 minutes from my house now sells welding tanks.  After running out of gas on a saturday (again), I found this out.  Took my old tank to the store, traded for a shiny full tank for less than local weld store charged for refilling my tank.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

I saw that on their website too Jim, but I don't have any TSC's near me.  The welding supply shops around me are mostly 8-5 M-F, so getting there during business hours isn't easy.

'74 260Z

37 (edited by Mulry 2011-01-21 10:03 AM)

For what it's worth, most Home Depot's have a stock of welding gas bottles and refills. That's where I got my 75/25 mix bottle for the same reason, Jeff -- just too damned inconvenient to go to the welding supply store during daylight hours.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Jeff; if we get to hanging out I got plenty C-25 in my tank (i got that used 125c.f. tank; full for cheap.) If you want I could probably swing out and get another full, used tank for you but i dunno how fast i'd be able to get it up there. it'd be about $200 for a full 125 tank and about $150 for a full 80. C-25 mix.  I went this way because tractor supply co. is more expensive. there's a specialty gas place across the street from one of my clients I'm thinking on calling them to see what they charge for a shielding gas fill.

Not sure you guys still want to know this but when welding thick to thin point the heat (actually the torch or mig wire) at the thick stuff and do quick little flicks towards the thin stuff (heat slightly towards the thin maybe 20% of the time.)  That gives good penetration in the thick stuff and helps from blasting through the thin.

You learn a color for too hot looking through your welding helmet after a while.  You either let off, up wire speed, or move faster if you can and obviously turn the heat down if its too high.  If you dont let off at this color it will drip and depending on where it falls you get a molten metal fireworks.  Dont weld above your body is a pretty general rule if you like your bits.

Setting the wire speed correctly to the heat is the thing to concentrate on.  You should hear a consistent sizzle when welding.  If the sizzle sound "bounces" feed rate is low.  If you feel it pushing you away feed is too high.  If you are snotting up the weld the heat is too low or wire speed is too high.  Once you get the feed and heat right its all in the shape of the bead.  You dont want it digging in and eroding (usually moving too fast or heat is too high) the stuff you are welding.  You dont want it bubbled up and not penetrated either (usually heat too low and moving too fast.)  Practice is your friend.  Just listen for the nice sizzle and it will help you progress faster than trying to learn to weld with the wrong heat/feed speed.

Also, make sure the wire feed is consistent.  If the cable for the mig gun is kinda knotted/bound up the wire speed can bounce.  Large radiuses in the cable help.  Also, the feed roller tension might be low if its not kinked and feed speed is bouncing.

Gas flow is fairly important.  Too low and the weld looks like lava rock/ black sugar.  Too much gas shield and it cools the weld puddle or can blow it around if its really high.  Obviously too much is better than too little.

Make sure the mig tip is good and the wire is pretty tight to the hole in the tip.

Good luck.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

+1

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

That was helpful, jrbe, thanks!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

Burn Metal.   Welding is about time.   Practice, practice, practice.   

Good equipment:   I have pretty much every welding cert you can get. And I weld on a regular basis.     I've tried the POS machines from Harbour Freight, etc and they absolutely suck.       Get a good machine and you will be able to weld.

anecdote:     I told my lawyer wife that welding was difficult and required lots of practice,  she asked to give it a go.  I told her what to do and off she went.. nearly a perfect weld...  I was floored.    Her comment:  just like decorating cakes, same motion, same concentration,  she had worked at her mother's bakery for many years growing up.  A natural.          She never said so, but, I believe that her respect for my years of experience welding went down a bit............

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

There is a very similar thread over on the ChumpCar forum and something came up that should be posted here as well.  A cage builder posted this link http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm about the dangers of using Brake Cleaner to clean steel before welding.  Everybody needs to read this and be sure to be safe around chemicals.  He recommends using only acetone to clean the steel before welding.

'74 260Z

John; that kinda sucks actually! Absolutely right about welding equipment. i researched and researched and looked at reviews and etc etc etc. Got to the point where I had been sitting on the fence too long about equipment choice. bottom line from most people was really just "Buy what you like as long as it's Red or Blue, or at least Orange"

Jeff; damn straight. Brake cleaner is on my top list of spray chemicals you DAMN WELL BETTER RESPECT. Another one is Oven cleaner. Gotta love OTC Carcinogens!

45 (edited by dculberson 2011-01-23 06:57 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm about the dangers of using Brake Cleaner to clean steel before welding.  Everybody needs to read this and be sure to be safe around chemicals.  He recommends using only acetone to clean the steel before welding.

That was terrifying!!  What a rough story to read.   Almost any one of us could make a mistake like that.

Maybe I'll move to cleaning brake parts with simple green.

I have used brake cleaner, carb cleaner and gasoline for 30+ years to clean various auto and dirt bike parts.  Before I read that, I wouldn't have thought twice about cleaning parts with brake cleaner.  I will be MUCH more careful in the future especially now that I am learning to weld. yikes

'74 260Z

Holy shit, I had no idea brake cleaner (my favorite chemical, but I've never welded) broke down into phosgene. I know enough about phosgene based on the little bit I know about refrigeration to stay the hell away from it - so I'll definitely keep that in mind once I start learning to weld!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Evil Genius wrote:

anecdote:     I told my lawyer wife that welding was difficult and required lots of practice,  she asked to give it a go.  I told her what to do and off she went.. nearly a perfect weld...  I was floored.    Her comment:  just like decorating cakes, same motion, same concentration,  she had worked at her mother's bakery for many years growing up.  A natural.          She never said so, but, I believe that her respect for my years of experience welding went down a bit............

Yea, but can she do it while upside down on her head, doing a back bend beneath the dash of a 1960s mini cooper on the back side of the tube blind because there's no room to even wear goggles...

I KNOW you can! (no offense to your wife intended)

RE: Brake Cleaner

I was trying to figure out why I'm not dead yet then went and read the cans of cleaner I commonly use-- neither contain tetrachloroethylene -- "50-state formula" I reckon. I have switched to SimpleGreen but it leaves a residue.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones