Re: What if ur car is picked to be destroyed at the beginning of the race?

notwithstanding it takes a group of "assholes", thinking that you're a complete piece of shit to draw out the ire of the crusher. It's called the "people's curse" not the "random curse". Most, if not all of us are there to race hard, then party hard, and wail on their crap can til it can run for another 2 laps. I guess it's probably a good idea for you to not come, as your mindset doesn't seem to mix well with the spirit of the series.

this thread is Going Places!

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

Glad that I created a little controversy with this thread! The rules are a little scary to a newbie like me, so was really helpful to everybody that help explain how this works - thank you! Racing is expensive, but even if I'm probably far from the best racer, I love everything about racing and not scared to spend a little to make it happen. After party sounds great. Even if I can't get a team together or join a team I hope to make it as a fan on the sidelines.

I was hanging low before because I was waiting for my lemon car to arrive, got such a good deal did not want to publicize it... so I bought a 1979 2L fiat 124 spider. Only trouble is when I got the car (bought sight unseen for $400) my first reaction was... "darn, this is too nice!". Seriously! So my next newbie question is this: does almost everybody that races end up with a fender bender or two by the end of the race?

My friend would prefer if I keep this Fiat to myself and instead pick up a safer beat-up '85-ish BMW 325 or similar.  I'd rather drive a fiat or an alfa but a BMW is probably not a bad idea because then I won't get attached. In the fiat, even with the roll cage I have to think that  as a convertible it could be still a bit more dangerous. That fiat looks small and fast though. I'd have to somehow manufacture a dual carb intake manifold to get any speed out of it though...

Anyway, just not sure I have the heart to bang up this little spider... any suggestions?

We brought a car much more rare and hard to replace parts on than a Fiat and walked away with no scrapes, scratches or dents.  Its all on you and your drivers.  If you drive safe, stay out of traffic, point around the faster cars and generally act sensible your car probably wont get hurt.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Its not as much of a demolition derby as it used to be, but its still racing, and there is always a chance that no matter what you do or how careful your drivers are that something can happen to damage the car.  Parts break, tires call off cars, people do just lose control, so you have to realize that the car might get damaged.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

If Mr. Bindeleted ever does have that $5k bonfire, I would love to see it!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

If Mr. Binbanned ever does have that $5k bonfire, I would love to see it!

FTFY

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Dude. Fiat. Seriously. If it's nice, you should be able to sell the interior and top for what you paid for the car. Throw a cage in it and go.

Other drivers on my team have had contact, but I haven't yet. We haven't had anything more than small dents and tire marks. There isn't really that much banging with the rules the way they are.

Plan on contact.  Not crash up derby contact, but every race some little scrub/rub/bump occurs.  That's part of racing on a track with other people.  If you don't want your car blemished, leave it at home.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Fiat... prettify it, drive it for a few weeks - and then you *will* reconsider - and *then* you'll make it the Lemons car it deserves to be.... just a few races later than originally planned!

crazymike wrote:

Fiat... prettify it, drive it for a few weeks - and then you *will* reconsider - and *then* you'll make it the Lemons car it deserves to be.... just a few races later than originally planned!

Ahhh, another dissilusioned Fiat owner I see smile  Welcome to the club.

Fix It Again, Tony ;-)
...and, m'mom had an early and showroom-new 124 wagon that had the transmission mysteriously fall out on the freeway - not just the driveshaft, the whole tranny!
~though my HS buds 124 sport was a sweet ride, when it ran.

crazymike wrote:

was a sweet ride, when it ran.

The battle cry of the italian car owner.

crazymike wrote:

Fix It Again, Tony ;-)
...and, m'mom had an early and showroom-new 124 wagon that had the transmission mysteriously fall out on the freeway - not just the driveshaft, the whole tranny!
~though my HS buds 124 sport was a sweet ride, when it ran.

you should have told her "P" doesn't stand for "pass" smile

a 124 would be an AWESOME Lemons racer; don't let it be a travesty of garage space consumption then have it languish on the side of the highway when you take it out. I seriously was looking at a $700 124 spyder in my area and probably would have gotten it too if i had the cash burning a hole in my wallet.

Fiat all the way...BMW E30's are very common....unique cars are what Lemons is all about....

Yes its possible YOUR car could get voted the curse...its also possible YOUR car could roll or be involved in some other on track issue that destroys it....  EVERYONE has mountains of sweat equity in their cars and doesn't want to see it gone in a second (or minutes if crushed)....which is why the vast majority of drivers are very considerate on track....some cars can even survive multiple races with zero contact between cars or even black flags!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I like the answers, thanks, totally cracked me up... especially the transmission falling out story! Totally agree that a BMW 3 series is boring...

It will be a little work encouraging my friends to back a fiat for an endurance race --> they are a little.. ehm... less confident in my vehicle's reliability. I will have to do some  bottom end work on the 2L engine, that's one reason the car came so cheap. I really did pay $400. I'd rather drive a rustier car if I could find one.

Another potential option would be a 1967 Fiat 850 coupe I picked up for some $200, it's interesting looking and also in pretty shameful condition. Certainly fits the lemon profile. The only problem is that the biggest affordable engine for it is a 903cc. Yes, I could get one for $300, but I'm afraid I'd get my ass whooped so bad would not be fun to race. But rear engine would be awesome fun...!

I'm looking forward to partying with you lunatics even if I can't get my car together fast enough to race hahaha

42 (edited by Jer 2011-01-20 04:12 AM)

I think my old 850 Spyder did 0-60 in 18 seconds.   That's pretty slow.  sad   But it was a neat car to drive around.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

meganerd wrote:

It will be a little work encouraging my friends to back a fiat for an endurance race --> they are a little.. ehm... less confident in my vehicle's reliability. I will have to do some  bottom end work on the 2L engine, that's one reason the car came so cheap. I really did pay $400.

That means you have $100 left, which can actually get you a lot. If you're afraid of reliability of the Fiat, you could probly swap in the drivetrain out of some mini-truck and just use the shell of the Fiat. Thanks to scavenger sales for parts cars and scrap prices being where they are, this can be done for $0 easily with a $250-$350 donor.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

If you need for some reason to stay true-to FIAT, put an x1/9 in the back of the 850 coupe - cut the back seat-ish area away enough to do it... if they can shove a SHO in a fiesta you can probably do that!

You could do a 1600cc VW swap, too.  Seen that, know it fits.

Jer wrote:

You could do a 1600cc VW swap, too.  Seen that, know it fits.

Yep, it sure does smile  If memory serves you have to use the VW transaxle due to the rotation direction but my memory sux.  There were some very fast drag cars back in the day made with an 850 body and a VW drivetrain.

Confirm the X member under the car is soild before proceeding.  Its part of the unibody and makes a big X under the passenger compartment.  The car is flexible enough but without that its a noodle.

I want to say that Fiat twin cams have been swapped in as well but that might just be wishful thinking.

thanks for the tips! I'll post a picture of the fiat 850 rust-dent-coupe when I see it with my poor eyes (=pain) for the first time next weekend! I'm quite sure the 124 spider would be a better / faster choice.... but it does sound tempting to show up in a complete pile of crap.....

I'm quite sure a X/19 motor can be adapted fairly easily into the back of the 850 coupe, the guy that is selling me the car is doing that on a 600. I'll try to find out a little more about that. Agree also about the VW motor but seems a bit sacrilegious... but also very lemon like, so I'll take that into consideration as well.

I'm getting two 850 coupes, delivery included from AZ to CA, for $1000 - with that in mind it's very easy to justify the purchase price of the worse car as $200-250. That would give me a whopping $250-$300 to play with if I choose the 850 over the 124... cha-ching!

The VW motor is hardly sacrilegious, its historic!

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/images/Fiat_wheelie.JPG

http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/86488/dyn006_original_888_631_pjpeg_2506192_23172e1f3cdccff9c3c6687bd87832cb.jpg

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/fiat4.jpg

Love that first picture of the 850, but how can you be so sure that's not a Fiat motor in there? wink

meganerd wrote:

Love that first picture of the 850, but how can you be so sure that's not a Fiat motor in there? wink

Because that's one of the most famous VW engined fiat's in the world and 'The Race Shop' was a high performance VW shop wink

And I've driven stock and even hopped up 850s and the only way they're pullin wheels off the ground is with the help of a forklift.  smile