Re: Powder Coating

OK, but once you get that additional heat, you can't convert it all to power, so you still have to reject the extra somewhere....so unless your exhaust valves, head gasket, cooling system etc. is chosen to suit, on a stock engine, you can end up using really non-stoiciometric mixtures (probably rich) or EGR to keep your engine from melting down...how can it be done to realize an advantage on a 500$ budget?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

OK, but once you get that additional heat, you can't convert it all to power, so you still have to reject the extra somewhere....so unless your exhaust valves, head gasket, cooling system etc. is chosen to suit, on a stock engine, you can end up using really non-stoiciometric mixtures (probably rich) or EGR to keep your engine from melting down...how can it be done to realize an advantage on a 500$ budget?

You can't... Things like that are far beyond this view of this race. My main question was to ceramic coat the exhaust manifolds and IF we can fit a turbo into the budget; the turbine housing to reflect and re-direct heat away from the system. Turbos tend to cook pretty fast in endurance races.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Check out Team Eyesore's Miata...they had a turbo up in the breeze at Reno, and from what I could see of it as it flashed by me, it works well!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Oh yeah... A properly setup turbo system can be incredibly reliable and give a great boost is power. Problem is they raise engine oil temps and very few can combine cheap and reliable.

Not to mention the penalty laps for it...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Use a Chrysler junkyard unit, low boost and an oil cooler plus Mobil One and you should be O.K.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

definitely way overthinking this one, Riktor.  although i like your optimism.  too many people seem convinced that w/ a $500 budget, you're stuck in a K-car with a bad HG.  i think the larger point is that there are an INSANE number of little things that are more likely to cause trouble, and your resources (money and, more importanlty, time) are limited.  focus on that stuff.  first you must finish, and all that.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

definitely way overthinking this one, Riktor.  although i like your optimism.  too many people seem convinced that w/ a $500 budget, you're stuck in a K-car with a bad HG.  i think the larger point is that there are an INSANE number of little things that are more likely to cause trouble, and your resources (money and, more importanlty, time) are limited.  focus on that stuff.  first you must finish, and all that.

I always over-think things... I hope it isn't a problem.

But since powder coating is cheap for me... why not use the resources available to you?

But for now we are going N/A... Our manifolds are going to give us enough negative attention... let alone a twin snail just above our trans.

Hopefully the copious amounts of booze, good music and great shenanigans will allow us some credibility and wiggle room.

Sons of STIG