Re: Helmets and safety gear

Now despite my general belief that it if REALLY unlikely that I would suffer this type of injury, I wear a HANS device also. 

Mulry wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Truthfully, there is little evidence that a HANS is necessary in our level of racing.  Some question whether our cars have violent enough crashes to fracture a C-spine from forwards flexion (our cars have crumple zones and are slow).

I generally agree with you, despite the Cavalier wagon crash/rollover/burn at Infineon last year. But my position on it is that although the need for it is probably unlikely, in the event that I mis-estimate the probabilities, it's valuable insurance. Until my replicant grows a spare c-spine for me for implant, that is.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Where does everyone stand on longjohns under a two-layer suit? I imagine Gingerman in April might be cold enough to want them, but as far as safety goes, how much is enough given a "reasonable" (strange word for this crowd) budget limit.

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.
Thompson, CT 2016 - "I got screwed" award; Loudon Annoying 2013 - 36th first finish for the Probelem; Monticello 2013 - Dead Last but we saved on fuel, so.... ; Halloween Hooptiefest 2012 - blowed up the Probelem

You know, we use to share everything.  Now with the sock rule, we've become less social.

This space for rent.

Mulry wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Truthfully, there is little evidence that a HANS is necessary in our level of racing.  Some question whether our cars have violent enough crashes to fracture a C-spine from forwards flexion (our cars have crumple zones and are slow).

I generally agree with you, despite the Cavalier wagon crash/rollover/burn at Infineon last year. But my position on it is that although the need for it is probably unlikely, in the event that I mis-estimate the probabilities, it's valuable insurance. Until my replicant grows a spare c-spine for me for implant, that is.

Did not see this post earlier but I would say that there is really not a lot of rhyme or reason as to cervical (or any other fracture). I have seen folks walk away from horrific crashes with hardly a bruise and I have seen others perish in accidents that didn't set off air bags or do much in the way of visible damage.

One can point to statistics and studies but about the best they can can offer is probability. One needs to balance their own understanding of the factors (and rules) involved and make choices accordingly.

Daniel Sycks

30 (edited by Serj 2011-03-10 11:46 PM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I had a Leatt for karting.  It's inferior to a HANS for car racing.  Leatt is good for open cockpit/motorcycles where you could be thrown/ejected.  The Leatt will not protect your neck in a car vs wall situation.

Serj wrote:

I keep looking for places that sell the Leatt Brace. Last place i had saved disappeared a few months ago, so they are likely out of business sad

Leatt for a period featured a variation of the brace specific for car motorsports called the "Moto R". based on it's design and self-supporting nature plus the ability to protect from the compression-type injuries at least in my opinion, if disregarding their test/descriptions was superior protection. Unfortunately I do not see it featured on their site anymore. However, some sites still have it for sale?

http://www.philsinc.com/leattbrace.html

I wasn't actually referring to the kart/motorcyle brace, although I'm sure that's their main market.

the Hans requires 2" belts which i don't like (means EVERYONE in the car has to share/have a hans) and the free/open design of it/the DefNder has me leery because I personally don't feel it protects from shock/compression-type injuries. I'm not a doctor, but I know that someone who has a neck injury, gets their neck put in a collar, not  have some bungies run across their forehead.

Just my $0.02

Serj wrote:

the Hans requires 2" belts which i don't like

HANS now says that 3" belts are fine as long as they're properly routed. Whether this applies to old-production units or because they made a design change, I don't know.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

It's a pain to get 3" belts to sit right on a Hans, but it gets easy with practice.

dsycks wrote:

Did not see this post earlier but I would say that there is really not a lot of rhyme or reason as to cervical (or any other fracture). I have seen folks walk away from horrific crashes with hardly a bruise and I have seen others perish in accidents that didn't set off air bags or do much in the way of visible damage.

One can point to statistics and studies but about the best they can can offer is probability. One needs to balance their own understanding of the factors (and rules) involved and make choices accordingly.

I can echo this sentiment.  Working as a firefighter I've seen many.  Two years ago friends in another town had a guy who crashed a CL600 benz, just about popped the bags but really barely any damage at all, no facial or impact injuries, he got out of the car, turned his head to the left and immediately died.  He had cracked a vertebrae and as soon as he turned his head it severed his spinal cord.

Does it happen all the time?  No.  Could it?  Well thats why we wear fire proof suits and big clown helmets.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Serj wrote:

I personally don't feel it protects from shock/compression-type injuries. I'm not a doctor, but I know that someone who has a neck injury, gets their neck put in a collar, not  have some bungies run across their forehead.

Just my $0.02

You're right - HANS and similar devices don't protect the driver from a direct axial load (a load straight down on the head).  That's the kind of injury a foam collar might prevent, and the kind of injury you're alluding to in your comment.  What usually kills people is front to back whiplash type momentum or side to side sudden and severe movement of the head.  The collars that you see EMS putting on the injured do two things - prevent lateral movement and prevent front to back movement.  The reason the EMTs tape the head to the backboard is to prevent ANY kind of lateral or twisting movement along the entire spine.  The c-spine is the most important (after airway, breathing and circulation, of course), but the thoracic and lumbar spine are also considered.  The HANS does protect from both severe front to back movement (ie you can only go so far forwards or backwards) and side to side movement (which is why none of us can look too far right or left).

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I think the Defender may help prevent axial load injuries.  There are two bars parallel but above the shoulder pads that the helmet would bear on that then transfer the load to the shoulders.

http://www.hardracing.com/images/defnder2.jpg

36 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2011-03-14 06:45 PM)

To be clear, there has not been conclusive evidence what the exact mechanism that has killed 9 professional race car drivers suffering basilar skull fractures since 1991 (the type of injury the HANS is designed to prevent).  It is believed by some it is the result of a violent whipping action of the neck in a violent front end colision, but some pathologists have attributed some of the 9 deaths to blunt force on the helmet from roll cage impact resulting in those fractures (blunt force on the mandible being the proposed way to suffer this fracture outside of motorsports). 

To say the HANS will protect your neck from other forms of impact (side ways forces, blunt forces, etc) is probably false.  I've actually had a patient suffer a C-spine fracture with a neck restraint device in place from a significant sidewards force.  He didn't have a HALO seat.

Having said all this jibberish... I wear a HANS.  Everyone on our team wears a HANS.  Seems like cheap insurance for one form of injury, even if the injury is very rare.  On the other hand, we don't have a HALO seat.  We probably should.

I would encourage everyone to spend as much time reading about personal safety gear as they do combing Craigslist for the next crapcan to win IOE.

Happy racing!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

We have 5 drivers and have 2 Hans devices. Switching is not that big a deal. Figure it is the "Safe" way to go. Wives are already pissed off enough with the racing. Coming home hurt just going to get us in more trouble.
      I would disagree with some of the comments. Injures can happen at any track & speeds. I t-boned a 280Z a few years ago in the entrance to turn 3 of the oval track at Strafford. Car was Ok continued to drive but I had a partially dislocated shoulder that popped itself back in when I went to restart and shift into gear. Hurt like a bitch for a few months.

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

SteveO wrote:

Wives are already pissed off enough with the racing. Coming home hurt just going to get us in more trouble

Last night my wife told me to get my ass over to the local racing store and get a HANS device.   She would pay for it.   Perhaps seeing the photo of "Sparky" Pete's MGB (which I'll be driving next week) doing it's mid-air flip led her to this decision.   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

What is the rule against driving naked? tongue

Driver, Pit Monkey
Team FinalGear
#38 1997 Pontiac GTP -
Supercharged 3800

You must wear your harness, film it, and it as a "seatbelt fetish" on Jalopnik.