Re: Buttonwillow Histrionics winner: Mustard Yellow V8olvo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Just in case you think the Jetta was 'that fast' their 'crazy run' was amplified by my having to back out of the throttle all over the place to keep the car from stalling due to fuel starvation the last 45 mins.  Nobody knew that, but our team.  The saddle tank design of the E30 only let us run a 1/2 tank of gas between stops the whole race.  The pump failed that was supposed to take the fuel from the other half of the tank causing fuel starvation.  IOW, if I had full power it would not have been that close.  wink

What made the Jetta's run so impressive wasn't the relative difference in speed between it and your car. It was the way the driver was passing the other 70 or so cars- you know, the ones in between him and your car- as he attempted to catch up. He pulled off passes that just shouldn't have been possible, repeatedly and for quite a long period, and he never touched another car. That's why the crowd was so excited by his run.

Anyway, your team won and everyone knows it. The #2 car got more attention because the driver put on a great big show for the crowd, but you won.

MurileeMartin wrote:

What made the Jetta's run so impressive wasn't the relative difference in speed between it and your car. It was the way the driver was passing the other 70 or so cars- you know, the ones in between him and your car- as he attempted to catch up. He pulled off passes that just shouldn't have been possible, repeatedly and for quite a long period, and he never touched another car. That's why the crowd was so excited by his run.

Anyway, your team won and everyone knows it. The #2 car got more attention because the driver put on a great big show for the crowd, but you won.

The guy could drive for sure.  I spoke with him Sunday morning before we started again and we had a gentlemen's agreement not to take the other out no matter who won.  I never saw them lay a fender on another car and neither did we.  Good clean racing.  I'm actually friends with one of their members who is actually an engineer for one of the NASCAR teams.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Just want to be clear that no one on our team has any sour grapes at ALL about anyone questioning who "should have won".  I mean, our cars were within inches of each other for two laps after 14 hours.  I think we both *deserved* to win at that point, but one had to come first and one had to come second.  I, personally, am happy with the outcome smile

MurileeMartin wrote:

He pulled off passes that just shouldn't have been possible, repeatedly and for quite a long period, and he never touched another car. That's why the crowd was so excited by his run.

He hit cars.  But either the refs had put their whistles away or the contact was deemed incidental (being found not guilty is not the same as being innocent).  I'll give him some great and fast driving in traffic but there was paint on that car that wasn't there before his stint.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.