Topic: Gel Cell battery in driver area: Sealed in box, too?

Does an optima Red Top (or similar gel cell) battery sitting in a passenger area need to be in a sealed container, or can it be secured down with open brackets yet with covers on the +pos terminal like other sanctioning bodies?

Re: Gel Cell battery in driver area: Sealed in box, too?

I think you could technically have it secured with open brackets and cover the terminals under the rules, but I also think that it will be easier to get through tech with less scrutiny if it's also enclosed in a $10 marine battery cover from WalMart that is properly bolted through the floor with brackets. YMMV.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The battery has to be sealed to be uncovered.  Some gel-cells are not sealed.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Unfortunately, low cost battery boxes are HUGE as are the ones I bought that were a little more than low cost, and there's not enough room unless I put it down by my legs (prefer not).

This from Optima:

SEALED, VIBRATION RESISTANT, AND LEAK PROOF EVEN WHEN BROKEN
In an OPTIMA battery, the lead plates and separator are wound and tightly compressed into a cell tube so they can't move, shed, or break, even in severe shock and vibration applications. In independent SAE tests, the OPTIMA kept working after being subjected to vibrations up to 5G for 12 hours. As in all AGM TECHNOLOGY BATTERIES, there is no "free acid" that can leak out or spill and the OPTIMA can be operated effectively in any position -- even upside down -- without any risk of leaking and because it is sealed, no corrosion can form on the posts, connectors, or cables.

Why have an arguement with tech about how your Optima battery won't leak when you can buy a cheap box and have it all set before the race.  Remember to secure the battery within the box.  At stafford, there was a team that had a box but did not secure the battery within the box - they didn't pass and had to find a strap to secure the battery.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Spank,

If you don't have room for a traditional battery, there are small batteries.

Miatas have a lawn mower sized battery and I think Z06s are like that too.

I've seen other cars with special small batteries. 

This doesn't do much for your battery box situation but maybe you can get a small battery under the hood or out of the passenger compartment.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Spank wrote:

Unfortunately, low cost battery boxes are HUGE as are the ones I bought that were a little more than low cost, and there's not enough room unless I put it down by my legs (prefer not).

Wow. That's a tight car. Well, how about taking a larger box and cutting it down with the grinder or Dremel, then plastic-welding it back together in a smaller size using the propane-torch/zip-tie plastic-welding method?

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Why are you moving the battery in the first place?  I was going to do it out of habit, from building race cars.  Then I realized it was totally pointless in a Lemons car.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

The stock battery location is in a side impact zone, outside of the cage. Same for the fuel tank. Both are moved to within a caged structure.

I had to move the seating area rearwards about a foot because of the center steering and everyone practically calling me a pu55y for wanting to source some reverse swing pedals and call them an outside-the-budget safety item (see earlier post). So I used the stock assembly and fabricated a stout bracket/frame to move it all inside the passenger compartment but it moved everything back and ate up my allotted battery box area. I also had to add a bunch of box frame for seat and belt mounting. There is no room under the hood and there is no trunk.

I can put the battery and box down by my calves, but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I was going to use the full sized Optima battery anyway even with a box, but no box I've found is "form fitting".

Believe me when I say that EVERY decision I am making is with safety in mind. Having an unboxed gel battery off my left hip I feel is safer than having a boxed battery by my calves or under my knees. I don't mind the extra scrutiny at tech: it's safety for crissake. Everything I'm doing that is safety-related is based on FIA standards (but I also understand that this is Lemons, not the WRC). Generally there is more than one way to make a car safe and I want to be sure that what I'm doing to meet a standard is also one of the recognized methods for Lemons tech folks. I'm also guessing some of the rules are mandated by insurance underwriters and just because something is a widely accepted method for race car construction, it doesn't mean the insurance folks haven't inadvertently written it out of the possible methods to use by stipulating a specific method to satisfy a standard.

FWIW: Nick responded to an email I sent with the same message as the Genius: It MUST be a fully sealed gel unit to be unboxed.

So is an Optima Red Top considered "fully sealed" for Lemons tech purposes? Inquiring minds want to know! smile

I'm confused...  The rules don't require battery boxes, only secure mounting and covered positive terminals (at a minimum).   We've never had an issue in tech with our mounting and taped terminals.

We're running a yellow top Optima battery and relocated it to where the passenger seat area, but we still put it in a sealed case for safety. I'd do the same rather than risk failing tech.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Keeping an eye on this. The rear of our car is a bit too light these days and we were considering moving the battery to the back to help redistribute some weight.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

14 (edited by Mulry 2010-08-03 11:01 AM)

OverStimulated wrote:

I'm confused...  The rules don't require battery boxes, only secure mounting and covered positive terminals (at a minimum).   We've never had an issue in tech with our mounting and taped terminals.

I think you're right to be confused. It appears that the rules (as written) no longer accurately reflect what is applied on the ground at Tech in regard to batteries. The rule (as written) is as follows:

The Rules wrote:

3.14: Battery: All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes. Zip ties, bungee cords, duct tape, macrame plant holders, and other lame workarounds won't cut it. Positive ("hot") terminals must be in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material.

However, it seems to have become the de facto rule that if you relocate the battery to the passenger compartment, the battery must be either (a) completely sealed or (b) in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material. Speaking from personal experience, I can say that tech also wants the positive terminals covered with insulating material (e.g. electrical tape) even when the positive terminal is inside a sealed battery box.

I suspect that this is all to make sure that we don't slosh battery acid on the drivers in the event of a collision and/or rollover or short the positive battery leads against the chassis and start an electrical fire.

But it does seem like a situation that deserves some clarification since the rule as written and the rule as applied appear to not be the same thing. We can all agree that we just want to keep our drivers safe, and that we all want to pass tech, so it would be helpful to have an official ruling on this, and maybe a rules update to reflect that.

John, you want to weigh in here? Please? smile

Mulry wrote:

John, you want to weigh in here? Please? smile

Please do. This is one of those items that seems to pop up from time to time, but, IIRC, there's never really been a "definitive" answer given.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=4143

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2938

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=2253

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

FYI:

Kragen sells Atwood marine battery boxes.
They are vented, come with mounting hardware and strap.
Two sizes.

$12~

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Is a vented box also a sealed box?

Keep in mind that what I say here is what I believe to be correct, the final say is at the tech inspector/ race manager's discretion during tech inspection of your car.  It is possible to be within the letter of the law and still have some funky crap that needs fixing, and we will make you fix it.   

A battery that is within the passenger compartment must be in a box or be a sealed battery.    The battery must be clearly labeled as a sealed battery, if we cannot ascertain that it is sealed, we will make you put it in a box....        Batteries inside boxes still need a positive metal hold down, being inside the box is not enough, wedging wood between the top of the box and the battery, no good.  Bungee cords, negative, rope, nope... A secure metal hold down, and cover the positive terminal...   Please.    Yes, its inside the box, but please cover it.   

John

How are some of you guys running $200 Optima batteries in a $500 car?

Also, if you want a compact battery, get a smaller motorcycle / waverunner/Skidoo etc battery from Walmart - prices run in the $35 - $60 range and som are sealed.

Check the cold cranking amps (CCA) to make sure it has enough oomph if you're starting a V8.

fifty wrote:

How are some of you guys running $200 Optima batteries in a $500 car?

Well, ours came with the car.

However, if you've got the damn battery in another car, it won't kill you to swap it over for a weekend.

And as for the OP's problem, you could always just forego a battery and jump the car for every start.

If it dies on the track, though, you're waiting for a tow.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Need a ruling here.  I'm using a battery box which is located on the passenger side rear seat shelf.  All sides at the base of the box are captured by aluminum angle and I've attached two eyebolts on either side of the box for my hold down strap.  The strap is a stout seatbelt with snap eyes on either end that grab the eye bolts.
So, the battery is in a box and the positive terminal is covered, but will I get a fail on the seat belt holding the box firmly in place?  When cinched down it moves nowhere.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Sounds like they're looking for a "secure metal hold down." FWIW, we use a piece of electric-tape wrapped square aluminum tube and two pieces of all-thread rod that go through the floor and bolt through backers down there and the aluminum tube on top of the battery, which is inside the box with a tape-covered positive terminal. Passes tech every time and super-easy and cheap to fabricate. Good luck.

We're looking for a metal hold down, seat belt will probably not pass.

Noted and thanks.  That will be a simple fix.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan